Ted the ex mechanic

XG 1993 4.0 auto Ute NO SPARK

This car was running fine but the starter was faulty.

We replaced the starter motor and now it cranks great but does not run. It appears to be getting fuel but no spark. 

There are no blown fuses. There is power at the coil and the distributor. 

Even done the smartlock reset procedure even though I don't think this vehicle has it. 

I feel as I'm missing something that is very simple, my theory is that something has been disturbed by mucking around the starter motor region. 

I'm a bit lost as I quit being a mechanic in 1985 therefore I have no experience in efi or ecu's or any other magical mysterious electronic devices. 

I'm at the stage of thinking I will remove the intake manifold just so I can get decent access to the problem area. Do you guys go to this extent so you can get to the distributor and coil, they seem impossibly difficult to get to! 

But I'm baffled and reluctant to believe something else has failed like a coil or distributor at the same coincidental time when changing the starter motor. I still can't go past the suspicion of a broken wire or blown fuse even though I've checked for those things. Hence my comment am i missing something that I don't know about. 

Give me points and a carby and I would have had this thing running three days ago.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

1 hour ago, Ted the ex mechanic said:

Give me points and a carby and I would have had this thing running three days ago.

i'd hope @Outback Jack might pop in here. 

i wouldn't try remove the intake manifold, i
I agree the XG is a nightmare to work on, i had one that gave me enough issues to sell it as soon as it was going well again

Never fear.... Outback is here!
:).
Ok mate, get under the ute. The loom that goes to the starter also has the wiring for the coil, one connector goes to a radio suppressor on the coil, the other goes to the starter motor.
That's the best place to get to the wiring.
Probably as you say, just knocked something off.
Let me know how you go.
Sorry I was busy ripping out a garden bed and massive bush to get my JBA round the back.

Sent from my S21 using Tapatalk

No probs mate. Others wires to check are connected.... Pink wire that runs across top of throttle body and there's a wire that earths to the block in front of the dizzy.

Best of luck, I'm finished busting my arse for the day, so just quote me when you reply, and I shall appear as if by magic..

Hi Jack, I've identified and looked at the things you have suggested. Unfortunately there is nothing obviously disconnected, unplugged or broken. But I've given everything a twist, a flex and bend, hoping that a bad connection or contact may reconnect. But no go, it still doesn't start. Where do I go from here.... Any thoughts? 

Just thought of a couple anomalies that happened that I haven't mentioned... When we first replaced the starter and cranked it over, it DID actually start, but run quite rough. Our assumption was that it was running out of petrol. We rectified that situation, but it hasn't fired since. Several times I have checked for spark, and a couple of those times it intermittently did, although it didn't appear that strong. But now it's completely gone, no spark whatsoever.....

Ok, its the plug to the back of the coil mate, its the same as an injector plug, clips on , but if the clip that locks it in has come off it can slide off. Check that mate, probably it , the clips fly off sometimes if the wiring is pulled.

It's on same bit of harness as starter wiring.

Thanks again. Yes I've been playing around with that. Had it on and off a few times. It does seem a bit loose on there even with the clip on. But I expected the number of times I've fiddled with it might have got it to make contact again. But I will take your advice and pay some closer attention to it. I realise some of these things are delicately poised and on a fine line between working and not working.