Server maintenance Read more... ×
Grr351

Xg_Xh ute tank in xb ute

Hi I have a xg_xh tank in my xb ute ,the sender looks to be a EFI sender with the electric fuel pump removed ,how can I get this sender to be compatible with my original xb gauge? .thanks 

Hi I have a xg_xh tank in my xb ute ,the sender looks to be a EFI sender with the electric fuel pump removed ,how can I get this sender to be compatible with my original xb gauge? .thanks 

Hi Grr, it will only be the resistance that differs.

So grab a multi meter and find the resistance at empty , 1/2 tank and Full.

(Take the fuel sender out to do this.)

Then hook up to your guage and see if the positions at Empty, 1/2 , Full match up, if not, you will need to get a variable resistor in the fuel senders range and adjust the resistance until it matches.

Variable resistor goes on the 12v wire from sender that goes to your gauge.

You will also need to put a fuel line on the fuel pick up, where the old EFI pump was, with a filter on the end, then mount your low pressure fuel pump under the back, lower than the tank if possible.

And don't forget to blank off the return line on the sender set up.

Fuel out is the left one. Return is the right one.

Hope that helps. default_smile.png

Sent from my S21 using Tapatalk

I'll make it easy for you.
I went got my Ford Workshop Manual...

XG fuel tank sender.
Empty- 3.5 ohm
Half Full- 66 ohm+/- 1.4
Full- 176 ohm +/- 3

Measurements...
Empty.... 0mm

Half Full..... 78mm

Full.....183mm.

Thanks outback jack ,with the pump can't I just put a fuel line on the end of the pick up like you said and just use the standard mechanical fuel pump on the bottom of my block ? Also when the resistance is sorted out will I need to calibrate my gauge ?

Thanks outback jack ,with the pump can't I just put a fuel line on the end of the pick up like you said and just use the standard mechanical fuel pump on the bottom of my block ? Also when the resistance is sorted out will I need to calibrate my gauge ?

Yeah, fuel line on end of pick up. But a filter sock on the end will stop you sucking up crud in the tank, extra protection.The standard fuel pump will be fine mate.

With the adjustable resistor, all you can do is say...half fill the tank. Tank is 68L, so 34L.

Then just wire up the sender wire to your guage and see where it sits. If its close to 1/2 you may be OK.

You don't need to calibrate the guage, the adjustable resistor does it, once you set it up right.

On the XG tank there are two wires coming out.

One is power for the fuel pump, the other is the + wire to the fuel guage/sender set up.

The wire on the right is the sender one.

If your wondering where earth is, its the tank bolted to the chassis. If you don't have any luck, maybe try put a wire from the sender set up screw on top to earth.

And just see if the guage works if you do.

So anywhere on that + wire, just put it in line and adjust as necessary.

You probably want to try something less than the total resistance, so under 200ohm. 180ohm is Full tank, so say around 1/2 is 90ohm.....you just adjust the resistor as necessary to get the guage to read 1/2 tank, rest should take care of itself.

2 hours ago, Outback Jack said:

Yeah, fuel line on end of pick up. But a filter sock on the end will stop you sucking up crud in the tank, extra protection.The standard fuel pump will be fine mate.

With the adjustable resistor, all you can do is say...half fill the tank. Tank is 68L, so 34L.

Then just wire up the sender wire to your guage and see where it sits. If its close to 1/2 you may be OK.

You don't need to calibrate the guage, the adjustable resistor does it, once you set it up right.

On the XG tank there are two wires coming out.

One is power for the fuel pump, the other is the + wire to the fuel guage/sender set up.

The wire on the right is the sender one.

If your wondering where earth is, its the tank bolted to the chassis. If you don't have any luck, maybe try put a wire from the sender set up screw on top to earth.

And just see if the guage works if you do.

So anywhere on that + wire, just put it in line and adjust as necessary.

You probably want to try something less than the total resistance, so under 200ohm. 180ohm is Full tank, so say around 1/2 is 90ohm.....you just adjust the resistor as necessary to get the guage to read 1/2 tank, rest should take care of itself.

Thanks for the great info outback jack .il rip out the sender tomorrow and go from there . You answer all my questions.

Thanks for the great info outback jack .il rip out the sender tomorrow and go from there . You answer all my questions.
No probs Mate, of you have too many dramas let me know.
Good luck.