Server maintenance Read more... ×
chobbb

Ignition circuit constantly 'on' after dash reinstalled

Hi all, first time post after starting some work on the 1984 ZK I've owned for 9 years. It's a 4.1 EFI on straight gas.

I've had the dash out to replace the heater core, and now have it back in except centre console. I thought I'd test it before going any further, and when I reconnected the battery the alternator, park brake, fuel empty and oil pressure lights/gauges powered up. This is with the ignition 'off'. When I switch the ignition to accessories, the radio etc turn on. I can then start the car and it runs okay, but I can't switch the car off because the ignition is constantly powered 'on'. I had to use the kill switch to cut the gas.

I've tested the ignition switch itself and it's fine, and I've unplugged the 6-pin connector to the ignition switch below the steering wheel - the circuit stays live and all the relays (incl gas solenoid) and the bosch relay next to the battery (connected to fusible links) click as soon as the battery is reconnected. The coil is powered too. As far as it seems, wire 16 in the schematics is getting power from somewhere other than the ignition switch. I just can't work out how this is possible from the schematics.

Any ideas much appreciated!

Cheers

you may have plugged a couple of plugs up that shouldn't pair up(i did this once and smoked a headlight wire ) 

i'd unplug if possible or at least check the colours continue through the plug

**eg.. the ignition loom has big fat yellow wires from the switch, and the corresponding plug also has big fat yellow wires that continue on when plugged in.

i'd double check the wires colours continue where possible before going to look elsewhere

I'd say check the plugs too, it looks like you have constant power from a non ignition circuit.  From memory, the main half moon shaped plugs on the drivers side are either brown or red.  Make sure that you've plugged the correct coloured ones together.

Also check what you've done on the ECU (passengers) side too.  There's a few single wire plugs that feed back to the dash and some that go to the aircon/engine bay.  It's easy to get them mixed up.

2 hours ago, chobbb said:

Thanks mate will have a look at the plugs. It's weird that it's doing this with the ignition unplugged completely.

read @ZKFairlane post above about the plugs the big ones are colour coded, 

if you've unplugged the ignition plug, then the other one that CAN fit it might be the headlight loom which is live(can have the headlights on with ign off) so i'd look there first. sounds like the one i smoked a wire on possibly?

Hi everyone

Thanks for your help. I pulled the dash forward and leaving the warning lights panel plugged in (alt light on/flickering when I wobbled the loom) traced the plugs in the RH footwell. The problem was definitely there, but not where I expected - a washer had fallen in to the rear of the fuse panel and perfectly created a circuit across the live centre bar (yellow thick wires) and some outer fuses. See pic linked. It was wedged firmly in there!!

1627185443447.jpg

I did notice when I was under there that mismatching plugs would be quite easy, and I think I'd have preferred it if that happened because they're more accessible!

Cheers

41 minutes ago, chobbb said:

leaving the warning lights panel plugged in (alt light on/flickering when I wobbled the loom) traced the plugs in the RH footwell. The problem was definitely there, but not where I expected - a washer had fallen in to the rear of the fuse panel and perfectly created a circuit across the live centre bar (yellow thick wires) and some outer fuses. See pic linked. It was wedged firmly in there!!

1627185443447.jpg

wow 

i think that was very lucky..
when i mixed plugs up i burned a wire out, it could have caused a fire.. that washer could have been nasty also .. 

well done finding it

All that's done is bypassed the fuse for the horn circuit (yellow with pink tracer wire).  The plate that the yellow wire plugs unto is the battery side of all the fuses and it runs up the middle of the panel to provide +ve to all of the circuits (yellow provides constant power to all circuits on the left of your picture, black with green tracer provides power to the circuits on the right with ignition on).  The plugs to the left of your picture are the fused sides that goes to each circuit. I doubt bridging the horn it would cause your issues.

Any chance the washer fell down into that position when you removed the fuse panel?  If not, I'd still go looking for incorrect matching plugs.

6 hours ago, ZKFairlane said:

All that's done is bypassed the fuse for the horn circuit (yellow with pink tracer wire).  The plate that the yellow wire plugs unto is the battery side of all the fuses and it runs up the middle of the panel to provide +ve to all of the circuits (yellow provides constant power to all circuits on the left of your picture, black with green tracer provides power to the circuits on the right with ignition on).  The plugs to the left of your picture are the fused sides that goes to each circuit. I doubt bridging the horn it would cause your issues.

Any chance the washer fell down into that position when you removed the fuse panel?  If not, I'd still go looking for incorrect matching plugs.

You're right - and when I first spotted the washer, it was sitting in the top centre of the fuse panel, and it had a screw in it. It had been sitting across the thick yellow wire and the black one next to it, and/or touching the purple wire in between. In removing the fuse board the screw fell out and washer moved to where it is pictured.

To echo deankdx, I'm very lucky that this is all that happened.

That would do it!

The purple wire is the fused side of the power windows, so wouldn't cause any issues here.  However, the black (with green tracer) goes back to the ignition switch and would have provided constant power (as you described).

3 hours ago, ZKFairlane said:

My bad...

Purple is head lamps.

goes fizzz and lets the smoke out if you plug it into the wrong plug (guess how i know)