Server maintenance Read more... ×
bear351c

Repair or Rebirth......??

Hi all, here's an odd question for you panel guys..... How much of a car can be replaced before it is considered a rebirth.?? 20%,  50%. ?

If you prang the front of an old Falcon, and destroy the rad support panel, the "new" second hand panel will have different ID numbers stamped on it. Later models had it on the shock towers, or firewall etc.. They don't repro a Rad support panel for XL-XM Early birds, so you would have to unpick the busted one and replace it.  

Thoughts........??

Very philosophical question in a way, made me think of the Ship of Theseus, where a ship is repaired over and over again over time until every part has been replaced, is it still the original or now considered a replacement?

Personally with a car I'd base it on the main middle section, if that's original then you're just doing repairs to the front & back of it.

Or grandpa's axe... It's had 4 handles and 3 heads, but it's still the same axe.... "They don't make em like they used to"

But seriously, what's in a number anyway? The authorities don't really care as long as their criteria is met, so whatever it takes to get the old girl rolling again, I say do it. These cars were made to last a dozen or so years so the manufacturer's weren't too concerned about long-term identification.

Sent from my CPH1920 using Tapatalk

A little bit like my Louisville. I think there are a couple of Ford bits still left on it.

English magazine I used to buy was "Classic Yacht" where this subject continually haunts their letters pages.

As Mr Polsons above stated...........A well known turn of the last century racing yacht "Rona" had all its planking replaced, ribs and stringers recut, the copper sheathing was all new, the decks had to be replaced and the doghouse was reconstructed out of remaining pieces from the original. The masts, rigging and sails were all new but the keel and mast step were totally saved with all its serial numbers etched into the casting of the lead ballast. 

So it was classified as an original 1899 yacht with Lloyds of London backing its authenticity.

Essentially in Australia, the identity of a vehicle is in the chassis. That's why when you create a hot rod from your Fargo truck and stick it on a hq ute chassis to get it low and loud, it is then registered as a rebodied hq ute. Technically you replaced every panel of the ute with "new" stuff but the law still sees it as a hq for paperwork reasons.

Here's a scenario that might help you find out... Have a conversation with the authorities about a project that you are PLANNING to buy. It's a ford hard top that's had some parts cut out to fix other cars but it's mostly intact and is worth saving /rebuilding. Now the issue is, the radiator support panel has been removed at some stage and now the shell has no id numbers. because they're not available new, if I buy a second hand panel which will have another number stamped on it from the donor car, how will the car be identified and can it be registered?

See what that gets for a response and if it's good news, unpick your panel and swap it out.

Hmm......  A friend of a friend has just done this, bought a vehicle with no numbers. In SA the authorities are saying "No Way", it's a rebirth. IE: stealing tags and shock tower to resell a XAGT.

55 minutes ago, bear351c said:

Hmm......  A friend of a friend has just done this, bought a vehicle with no numbers. In SA the authorities are saying "No Way", it's a rebirth. IE: stealing tags and shock tower to resell a XAGT.

can you chat to the cops?

in Vic you can get a VP number(victoria police) but i would imagine they'd need a lot of "proof" that it was repaired that way etc. like here's the mangled front with numbers from it.. here's the panel i'm using. 

It should be as simple as going to the cops with proof of purchase and sellers details, let them see the shell as it is and issue a police number for it. It's history then begins with your purchase and goes on from there. I realise you are in nanny central and life isn't that simple, but doing it that way you aren't trying to hide what it is or call it something it's not. What's the difference between that and a replica that has no history or id?

The problem is when you go to the rego mob, they only believe what the computer tells them. No numbers = Cant be regoed. Local cop shop tells you to go to State rego vehicle inspection centre, they say "car must be driven in, and driven out" No trailers. 

computer says no

So im guessing your way a head of us here bear.......

I no where the chassis number is stamped in the rad support panel of these things are

and yours, the actual number part is bent out of shape???

If not im thinking...

"Can you just cut the number part out of the old rad support and re'weld it into the replacement part"

and carefully grind the welds down??

This would clearly save you headaches upon rego inspection time after you have made that part look neat and tidy

and factory looking. 

7 hours ago, steve mcqueen said:

So im guessing your way a head of us here bear.......

I no where the chassis number is stamped in the rad support panel of these things are

and yours, the actual number part is bent out of shape???

If not im thinking...

"Can you just cut the number part out of the old rad support and re'weld it into the replacement part"

and carefully grind the welds down??

This would clearly save you headaches upon rego inspection time after you have made that part look neat and tidy

and factory looking. 

No, the rad support panel on my mates car is perfectly straight. Thinking it has been in a bender and replaced way back in the 70's or 80's when you could still get new ones.

Yes, you're right. The friend of a friend might have to do just that. But, trying to find a F#$@ed  Falcon 2 door with numbers and tags intact is almost impossible.