Macht

XH - Repairing front bumper mounts

Hey guys,

I've got some new headlights to throw into the XH, so today was removing the bumper and getting ready to install them tomorrow.
As with everything, once I had the bumper off, I spied a few things that need my attention while I am there.

I noticed that one of the mounts for my bumper had completely snapped off. What are my repair methods here? I had a poke around online, a seen some mention of fiber glass and some 3M kits from the US, but figured I would ask here.

kwMg52C.jpgeOE3Lla.jpg

While I am here, after removing the front bumper, it pretty much fell apart thanks to the previous owners hatred of fasteners. Any clues on what these guys are?

o4FeWpr.jpg

Look to be rubber mounts of something. Maybe the front wire grill?

50 minutes ago, Macht said:

While I am here, after removing the front bumper, it pretty much fell apart thanks to the previous owners hatred of fasteners. Any clues on what these guys are?

o4FeWpr.jpg

if they have a part number. google.
i've asked a mate, that may know.. @Thom may know what they do on an XH..

i'd assume they fit around an opening of the air intake?  no idea

as for the cracked bits.. @2redrovers may suggest plastic welding. but i'd probably ziptie something from a different location or make a bracket like i did on My pulsar bumper click for bumper repair pic on pulsar

10 minutes ago, deankdx said:

if they have a part number. google.
i've asked a mate, that may know.. @Thom may know what they do on an XH..

i'd assume they fit around an opening of the air intake?  no idea

as for the cracked bits.. @2redrovers may suggest plastic welding. but i'd probably ziptie something from a different location or make a bracket like i did on My pulsar bumper click for bumper repair pic on pulsar

They literally have a L and an R on them, and that's it! Looking around the front bumper for something that matches their curve, this might be their home? 
I need to play around with it a little more, but that might be it

MJIBC8x.jpeg

I haven't done it myself (should try some time just so I know first hand) but ABS plastic can be glued with acetone. Look at the inside of the bar, should be marked somewhere saying what plastic it is but I'm pretty sure it will be ABS. From what I have read, it will give you one of the stronger bonds especially if you can add a bit of reinforcement to the joint. Alternatively, a soldering iron can be used to weld it back together. I used to trim a small strip off the back somewhere unseen to use as filler material to help join everything together.

Unfortunately those tabs are fragile and there's a risk it will break again down the track. We used to use the fibreglass tape used for repairing plasterwork with a special plastic glue to give some bulk to the repair and hold it together, minimising the fractures afterwards.