fotz

XF Dash to New after market dash (XD housing)

Hi

I currently have an XF S-PAck and we all know the dash is ugly. I am in the process of switching over the top of the dash to an XD dash, howevee the dash housing and wiring will be the original XF.

For the instrument cluster, I am using the sports XD cluster - but taking all the tacos out, - speedo, taco, oil, water, volts and fuel.

Pretty much something like the ones below.

1) Where can I get my hands on a wiring diagram for the instrument clsuter on a xf

2) will all the wires in the XF just plug straight into these, or will I need to run new wires and sensors?

3) Also hoping stuff like park break, hibeam, indicators etc will all still work?

The top one, looks so much neater, I am a fan of this one.

image.png.5431506de419ea99f2ab080fdf45cb71.png

image.png.1c53e6a8ccafd5dff56d46545afb1fae.png

all the sensors etc will work off the XF loom 

the XD oil sender i think was a slight difference in reading(sending) than the XE and XF either that or the XE oil gauge has a different resistance to XD.. it's not MUCH different.

that probably won't matter on aftermarket gauges as you'll probably get a sender matched to the oil and temp (XF ones would work with XD XE Cluster )

fuel gauge sender may not work with an aftermarket sender.. you may need to fit a universal float in the fuel tank for the new gauge.. (it would work with XD XE cluster)

basically, if you used a stock XD XE cluster, the XF loom will run it all fine with stock XF senders. including all the signals, reds etc . 

i don't know where you'd find the wiring diagram for cluster these days unless they are still up on fordmods page etc? i'll have a look possibly later if i can find them.

you can sort of trace them from the wiring diagram in the gregorys or from the car etc .. for eg.

oil sender wire at the engine, off the top of My head is white with pink trace? goes to the cluster. 

temp sender, yellow? goes to the cluster same.

blinkers are coloured same 50/50 of getting them left and right first time.

park brake wire, have a look at hand brake switch. 

tacho wire(negative coil)  same advice and so on.  but you can look it up in the wiring diagram also. 

43 minutes ago, fotz said:

I also found this - it looks more promising :)

https://www.fordforums.com/threads/xf-falcon-electronic-dash-test.309481/

probably as good as you'll get.
you can check most with a multi meter. 

continuity down to whatever it's connected to or voltage for lights. i'd try do this while the cluster is still connected if possible. 

can also do continuity from globe holders to the plug pin number to check,(beep) one side of the high beam light is earth..(negative battery) the other will go to say pin 10 on the plug in the diagram below(assuming it's correct) and the corresponding wire should be green/pink .. double check all these.. take notes. label the wires. 

xf-pinouts-001-jpg.52007

MANY Years ago i made an XG S pack cluster fit and work in an XF, another forum member sorted most of the wires from a fordmods wiring loom and i checked/changed a few. i was happy enough with that cluster, still a big stuff around and the fuel gauge needed mods still. 

24 minutes ago, deankdx said:

probably as good as you'll get.
you can check most with a multi meter. 

continuity down to whatever it's connected to or voltage for lights. i'd try do this while the cluster is still connected if possible. 

can also do continuity from globe holders to the plug pin number to check,(beep) one side of the high beam light is earth..(negative battery) the other will go to say pin 10 on the plug in the diagram below(assuming it's correct) and the corresponding wire should be green/pink .. double check all these.. take notes. label the wires. 

xf-pinouts-001-jpg.52007

MANY Years ago i made an XG S pack cluster fit and work in an XF, another forum member sorted most of the wires from a fordmods wiring loom and i checked/changed a few. i was happy enough with that cluster, still a big stuff around and the fuel gauge needed mods still. 

Yeah this is going to be good fun.. haha also need to make sure I get the right gauges as well.. I think this will play a big role.

I am hoping with the lamps, its just as simple as wiring in a globe holder with a globe? Hopefully the cluster isnt doing anything fancy to control the amps \ voltage to each of these items.

19 minutes ago, fotz said:

I am hoping with the lamps, its just as simple as wiring in a globe holder with a globe? Hopefully the cluster isnt doing anything fancy to control the amps \ voltage to each of these items.

globes will all be fine, 

they work fine with LED in stock clusters.