fotz

XF to XD

Hi - my first post on here so please go easy :)

I have previously never been a fan of this, but due to limited number available at the moment, I have decided to convert an xf to xd.

I know with the front end, it pretty much bolts straight on just need to change the wiring of the lights.

However the rear is a little more tricky. I don’t think the xd tail lights would fit. Not sure about the number plate holder at the back as well.

Any advice on this, and the best way to do it. I was thinking of trying to muck around with the twilight housing - and use an xf back and and xd front. I was also considering xe tail lights as I believe they can be purchased new still.

Please share some thoughts and ideas :) thanks

Gday, check this thread out for reference, the rear panel needs some trimming to fit the light housings without modding the light housing

https://www.fordforums.com/threads/xf-into-xe.144591/

the aftermarket XE taillights are Ok quality i have them on my car,... but good second hand ones can still be found in both XD or XE style

also consider the exterior door mould if it has any to match up to the xd/xe guards

XD tail lights are extinct.. if you can find a pair, they'll be worth more than gold..XE ones bolt in where XD ones were pretty much directly(could be a few holes need drilling?)

the XF tail lights are wider, so have big holes where you won't want them in that panel for XE tail lights. 

i have never done the conversion, but seen it done a few times. the rest wouldn't be too hard if you have all the bits.. (XD fronts are pretty scarce also, i'd expect you'd need near $1000 to get one) 

@Tweaker351 hasn't been online since 2018, so don't expect a reply, but his was XD front XF rear looks good 

DSC01265.jpg

DSC01267.jpg

facebook marketplace has a few listings, there is an XD RHS NOS one there for $600 (crazy prices as Dean mentioned !),

and then a set of second hand ones for $100....

1 hour ago, wok said:

Gday, check this thread out for reference, the rear panel needs some trimming to fit the light housings without modding the light housing

https://www.fordforums.com/threads/xf-into-xe.144591/

the aftermarket XE taillights are Ok quality i have them on my car,... but good second hand ones can still be found in both XD or XE style

also consider the exterior door mould if it has any to match up to the xd/xe guards

Thanks so much for this. Wow a lot of hacking. I wonder if this will impact the structural integrity of the car snipping it up like that.... good point about the door moulds. But I wont have any moulds on the doors.

1 hour ago, wok said:

facebook marketplace has a few listings, there is an XD RHS NOS one there for $600 (crazy prices as Dean mentioned !),

and then a set of second hand ones for $100....

Yeah thats ridiculous... second hand are a mess.

1 hour ago, deankdx said:

XD tail lights are extinct.. if you can find a pair, they'll be worth more than gold..XE ones bolt in where XD ones were pretty much directly(could be a few holes need drilling?)

the XF tail lights are wider, so have big holes where you won't want them in that panel for XE tail lights. 

i have never done the conversion, but seen it done a few times. the rest wouldn't be too hard if you have all the bits.. (XD fronts are pretty scarce also, i'd expect you'd need near $1000 to get one) 

@Tweaker351 hasn't been online since 2018, so don't expect a reply, but his was XD front XF rear looks good 

I guess this is the opposite right?  Tweaker is an XD with an XF back. I can see the back has been cut away to fit the lights.

XF to XD

xf-to-xe-conversion-rear-jpg.34519

Tweaker: - XD to XF

DSC01262.jpg

11 minutes ago, fotz said:

I guess this is the opposite right?  Tweaker is an XD with an XF back

i only read the first post a bit just now saying it's an XD,  

it should be just a matter of offering up the light and marking out where it clashes. if you have to block a hole you could probably pop rivet some tin with sealant and be fine. 
i had a mate who had their XE S pack hit in the rear door and 1/4 area(write off, bent the roof) and they got an XF shell and put everything over it was done in a week or so. same colour(pine and lime yellow)  shell used so all that was missing was the S pack stripe on the 1/4s  and one door. 

5 minutes ago, roKWiz said:

How things have changed, back in the 70s and 80's we were all trying to update and modernize our cars now we're going the opposite way in looks.

haha - with limited stocks avaialble - we are forced to make do with what we got...

38 minutes ago, fotz said:

XE tail lights you can get from here. I am trying to find out who manufactures these, as if they still make them, I dont see why they couldnt make an XD tail light. I will let you know what they come back with.

I think this is a fair price as well.

https://www.kingswoodcountry.com.au/buy/ford-tail-light-pair-left-right-xe-falcon-sedan-br/kFXE8000NTL-R

i assumed they were TYC, like this listing for $58 ish

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/142321065379

pair for $112

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/142321065442

i reached out... they replied very quickly. 

They wont produce for XD... 

You would think XD would be easier to be honest. XE has more edges. Ah well.

2 minutes ago, fotz said:

i reached out... they replied very quickly. 

They wont produce for XD... 

You would think XD would be easier to be honest. XE has more edges. Ah well.

probably using the same mould from 25 yrs ago

XE  tail lights have always been the preferred, hence the shortage of XD. When the Taiwan replacement parts started to flood the market with the likes of SSS most XD were becoming XE and F’s. A V8 later looking Car. You could get after marked XD but demand not there hence there demise.

Dale

3 hours ago, BTS666 said:

Wish SSS would re make the xf tail lights. 

@thorne

would "Mr Car Parts " have aftermarket XF tail lights?

On 12/12/2022 at 7:09 PM, thorne said:

a wreakers yard in Broadmeadows (Mr. Car Parts, Blair Street, Broadmeadows, ask for Freddy, good bloke).

He may have: I mean, no guarantees, but he did manage to rustle up a fairly rare indicator assembly for my XH the last time I was there. Best way to see is to contact him: he doesn't have a website (not like Jolly's U-pull), but you can call him on (03) 9309 3223 (M-F 8:30am-5pm). Best of luck.

7 hours ago, thorne said:

He may have: I mean, no guarantees, but he did manage to rustle up a fairly rare indicator assembly for my XH the last time I was there. Best way to see is to contact him: he doesn't have a website (not like Jolly's U-pull), but you can call him on (03) 9309 3223 (M-F 8:30am-5pm). Best of luck.

Will call him Monday morning. Set an alarm to remember even. 

Rare spares or someone need to do XD sedan tail lights
It's ridiculous we don't have a bigger aftermarket. These cars will slowly disappear, simply because of part scarcity.

In the USA, you can build an entire 69 camaro with all new parts.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk