Server maintenance Read more... ×
car10001

creek in front suspension on ba

hi

just a question what causes a creek or minor knock from front suspension on a ba at low speed going straight and turning corners if the ball joints were done in last couple years and were ok when last serviced about a month ago

have a ba that has minor creek/knock at front suspension and jacked one side just to get a idea and the front wheel on that side had no play when holding it at the 12:00 and 6:00 positon and the 3:00 and 9:00 position

the creek seems to come from the middle and is there when going straight at low speed and slowing down and goes away at higher speed.

it cant be the ball joints as they were replaced in last couple years and from research into common front suspension faults it seems the next common fault is sway bar link pin

So you don’t think it’s ball joints, it can’t be as they’ve been done

would it more likely be control arm bushes or sway bar links or the sway bar bushes

is it possible to be shockers as when you do the bounce front doesn’t sink down and it goes back up straight away

its only there when slowing down and/or braking

otherwise it drives well always starts first go in morning

I think when i did mine you got the ball joints and control arms with bushes. So did the lot.

Sway bar links just caused rattles from memory.

What do you recon it’d be 

in service report they found rear upper and lower control arm bushes needed doing at some point

only does it when slowing down and/or braking and is that occasional knock a problem until it’s fixed

I seem to remember replacing the entire lower control arm on the Territory for this.
Territories are shocking for front suspension until about 09, must be to do with the twin ball joint setup

What do you recon it’d be 

in service report they found rear upper and lower control arm bushes needed doing at some point

only does it when slowing down and/or braking and is that occasional knock a problem until it’s fixed
I'd try sway bar mounts first (also called D bushes).

You'll have to measure your bar to the millimetre before buying new ones, and measure it either where the bush is or right next to it, clean it first or dirt/grease/grime will affect measurement

would the ball joints be ok if theyve been done in last couple years and will it be a problem leaving it for a bit then fix it as many bas are worse and people still drive them, just needto save up to fix it and want to try savea bit extra to get all bushes done

would the ball joints be ok if theyve been done in last couple years and will it be a problem leaving it for a bit then fix it as many bas are worse and people still drive them, just needto save up to fix it and want to try savea bit extra to get all bushes done
Depends if they were cheap nasty ball joints or good quality ones.
For peace of mind I'd check them for movement, they make quite a mess when the fail.

3 hours ago, dex said:

Go sway bar D bush’s , 
dog links off the sway bar 

steering rack mounting points on the crossmember ,,

Ok got to get some bushes done at some point so may get those done too

5 hours ago, Mr Polson said:

Depends if they were cheap nasty ball joints or good quality ones.
For peace of mind I'd check them for movement, they make quite a mess when the fail.

The ball joints came from sprints so should be ok

Hi everyone 

Tried grabbing the front sway bar with all wheels on ground and it did move a little so any chance it would be that would it be worth replacing the d bushes and work from there 

When trying to move the sway bar it made similar sound to what it’s doing

Thanks