XB18333

Opening a boot lid from the inside

Hi all-

The key for my XB sedan's boot is too worn to open the boot, just wondering if anyone can suggest how to get in. I've tried 'raking' the tumblers with the key and it won't play the game. Key is twisted and not far off snapping either. Thanks.

if you don't have a gas tank in the way? 

you can remove the back seat and access the back of the latch the key barrel operates with a flat screw driver with a bit of a reach(shouldn't need to climb inside)
also you could undo the striker i would think that the boot lock latches into. 

if the key is turning, it should open.. try putting some downward force on the boot(without denting it) to take some pressure off the latch. 

or get a new key cut, so it's at least strong enough to give confidence opening it.

it's possible it all just needs lubricating(full of dust) depending where the tightness is(barrel itself could get some graphite) or lock mech spray with some CRC/WD40 etc initially to diagnose if it's that.. it could also be out of alignment making it tight

2 hours ago, deankdx said:

you can remove the back seat and access the back of the latch the key barrel operates with a flat screw driver with a bit of a reach(shouldn't need to climb inside)
also you could undo the striker i would think that the boot lock latches into. 

if the key is turning, it should open.. try putting some downward force on the boot(without denting it) to take some pressure off the latch. 

or get a new key cut, so it's at least strong enough to give confidence opening it.

it's possible it all just needs lubricating(full of dust) depending where the tightness is(barrel itself could get some graphite) or lock mech spray with some CRC/WD40 etc initially to diagnose if it's that.. it could also be out of alignment making it tight

Thanks for the reply- It has a petrol tank installed and is drivable but not rego'd to get down to get another key cut, and I don't have the key code on the key as it's worn away. 

Not sure where else I could find the key code?

I've tried the downward and upward force while jiggling etc.

Might just have to remove the rear seat and reach in

Cheers

24 minutes ago, XB18333 said:

i meant LPGas tank often in the boot, blocks access.. 

24 minutes ago, XB18333 said:

Thanks for the reply- It has a petrol tank installed

through the back seat is easiest.  try be careful with the old vinyl on the seats, it may crack if you aren't careful with it

Might be able to get key code from the original owners manual, if you still have it.  Otherwise, I'm pretty sure just getting a copy of your worn out key will work better. Glovebox lock used to be the same as boot key, I think..?? Don't remember if they had tumblers in them, though..

Thanks Bear- I don't have any paperwork as yet, but getting the original copied is a good idea. I'll check the glovebox out. In the meantime I've ordered a new key/lock off ebay. 

The XF was getting really hard to get the worn down key to work in the ignition so took the key to one of those generic locksmith blokes who did a lot of head scratching and couldn't be bothered to work out the codes giving up.

Tried another country guy  (sell guns and ammo, safes etc and do locks), took one look and said yes thats a ???  Turned around cut me a new one, walked out the door, stuck it in the ignition and turned straight away.

Might need to find a decent locksmith who is willing to put the effort in to duplicating the key.

Off the top of my head if you can get to the inside of the boot to the latch there is a 2nd latch for the boot release cable that was optional or on fairmonts, Fairlanes. LTD's, had a chrome handle next to drivers seat for release with a cable running to the boot latch, similar to later XDEF falcon that had electronic boot release that was just a solenoid that pulled a latch with a short cable. Once opened you should be able to remove the lock barrel & locksmith should be able to cut a key from that/decode the barrel

XF sedan we have here I squeezed through the rear armrest hole into the boot & pulled the cable, then tied a rope to the latch so you can pop the boot from the back seat.

Just looked at bros ZH fairlane, easiest way would be undo the bottom latch, 2x 1/2" bolts with a few long extensions should be able to reach from back seat,

My Brother said he has done it that way before, cable arm is behind the latch (blade screw head holds the cable)

4YEvlz6.jpg

reF15Zo.jpg

1 hour ago, XB18333 said:

Thanks Ford Man. I'll be giving it a try tomorrow. Fingers crossed for no body in the boot! I like the idea of leaving a rope running through to the back seat!

i've seen a bonnet cable hooked up to near the parcel shelf/back seat.. but you could easily fit an electric boot release also

Got in through the back seat today lads and opened her up easily with a flat head screwdriver as suggested.

No body in the boot thank goodness.

Found some rust around the upper boot gutters where it joins near the bottom of the rear window and some around the top of the tail lights. Haven't looked down by the 1/4 panels yet as they've tek screwed plywood filler board in place. Expecting lots more rust hidden under that beautiful paint job unfortunately. Looking forward to tackling it in time though!

Edited by XB18333
spelling

with the boot open, if you haven't already removed the lock barrel, it's held in by a clip you slide sideways(cutting your hands open like a monkey in a cookie jar scenario)

with the lock removed, it's screwdriver accessible from the outside easily.

6 minutes ago, deankdx said:

with the boot open, if you haven't already removed the lock barrel, it's held in by a clip you slide sideways(cutting your hands open like a monkey in a cookie jar scenario)

with the lock removed, it's screwdriver accessible from the outside easily.

Thanks for that dean. That was my next problem. Currently got it held closed with a webbing strap around the back seat sheet metal and waiting for new lock barrel and key to arrive.

I'll do just that tomorrow. Cheers.