Server maintenance Read more... ×
4vxb

FMX dipstick?

Decided over the easter weekend that i would remove the BW single rail from the xb and put the FMX back in. I soon discovered that the dipstick was snapped about 2 inches down from the cap, a problem it had about 8 years ago when it was last in the car that i had forgotten about 🤦‍♂️. Engineers at work said the may be able to fix it, but was wondering if anyone has a spare one they woud be happy to sell. 

Yea i did a bit of hunting and only found the lokar ones. Theres a few fmx boxes for sale in aussie but they are complete and i doubt the owners would sell parts of them. Will see how getting it fixed goes then go from there. 

Good news!!! The dipstick lives to see another day. The engineers at work managed to save it and it seems to be very strong. Definitely a lot stronger than the last repair that was done on it. 

I have put quite a few fmx in cars and i have run into the same thing no dipstick or tube,and a lokar one is $200 plus ,stupid thing is you can buy a complete fmx box for the same money.

Yea. I didn't really want to go down the aftermarket trakck if i could help it. I had a look on gumtree and ebay and saw  quite a few fmx boxes for sale, unfortunately here in NZ, they arent quite as easy to come by it seems. But anyway its mended for now, how long it lasts i dont know lol. Thinking i might see if i can get some stainless steel and get the engineers at work to duplicate the original.

Yea mine used to, hoping it still does. Been sittin on the garage floor for the best part of 8 or 9 years.  They sure are heavy. I made the executive decision to bolt it up to the motor along with the headers and drop the whole lot in the hole in one go. Worked a treat.

I like the FMX's , they are a good trans . Back in 2004 I put one in a mates car more as an experiment , with a 502 stroker, 550 HP , 580 ftlb.. It's still there to this day  
Ford did some funny things back in the day, they developed the FMX from the BW and used a Ravigneaux planetary set, but produced that box alongside the C4 and C6 which used a completely different Simpson planetary set. Then, when they were done making the FMX in the late 70s, they developed the AOD from it while the C4 and C6 were phased out. So in a roundabout way, the FMX design predated, then outlived the other gearboxes that were supposed to replace it.

Sent from my CPH1920 using Tapatalk