Server maintenance Read more... ×
Outback Jack

AU IRS into XG ute....Is it Possible?

31 minutes ago, Jdean said:

Interesting, I'm in TAS too. It would be good to see that thing and ask about how he went with engineering

I know he was in Launceston area, purple XF sedan. 

and the forum and youtube name was austen powers

that's the only info i've got if you feel like going for a search

link below is of his other videos (250 crosslflow air compressor. runs on 3cyls, makes compressed air with the other 3)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLXRqUCZrPXOcUPhZAVx5YQ

thats bonkers. 

Your conversion looks a little more extreme compared to my photo of the conversion i posted early on in this thread. 

I have 1 main question for you...

Is there a way to run the springs without tubbing and building turrets? 

Ever since i found the pic that i posted previously, years ago, i have thought how much id love to do this to my XF Ghia wagon. 

Id love to see more underside pics 

2 minutes ago, Panko said:

thats bonkers. 

Your conversion looks a little more extreme compared to my photo of the conversion i posted early on in this thread. 

I have 1 main question for you...

Is there a way to run the springs without tubbing and building turrets? 

Ever since i found the pic that i posted previously, years ago, i have thought how much id love to do this to my XF Ghia wagon. 

Id love to see more underside pics 

I think it could be done with custom struts. There would either be very little suspension travel or an extreme angle on the strut though. The upper control arm also comes quite close to the chassis rail.

2 minutes ago, Jdean said:

I think it could be done with custom struts. There would either be very little suspension travel or an extreme angle on the strut though. The upper control arm also comes quite close to the chassis rail.

Yeh i just came to the same conclusion running my brain over it all. 

i wonder if there were custom arms that have a curve in them to go under the chassis rail. maybe air bag suspension instead of coils ;)

Im super keen to watch the progress. 

16 minutes ago, Panko said:

Yeh i just came to the same conclusion running my brain over it all. 

i wonder if there were custom arms that have a curve in them to go under the chassis rail. maybe air bag suspension instead of coils ;)

Im super keen to watch the progress. 

The upper arm already has a big curve for clearance. Looking at the picture of the xh, I'd say there are some differences in the chassis? I'll add a photo of how much clearance I had to the chassis rail with a level drive shaft. Close to level anyway..

IMG20190615115423.jpg

9 minutes ago, Jdean said:

The upper arm already has a big curve for clearance. Looking at the picture of the xh, I'd say there are some differences in the chassis? I'll add a photo of how much clearance I had to the chassis rail with a level drive shaft. Close to level anyway..

IMG20190615115423.jpg

Yeah there must be come differences. what a pity :(

Boy that is close. 

On 7/2/2021 at 10:56 AM, Jdean said:

Barra up the front as well as au front subframe, steering rack, etc. Ba steering column. I might post a full build once it's completely finished. 

Now that sounds really interesting Jdean.

Great work, but I'm sure we'd all prefer if you post up pics of the progress thus far 👍. How did you sort out the rear irs subframe mounts?

I'll stop there, I've got too many questions.

1 hour ago, XCeed said:

Great work, but I'm sure we'd all prefer if you post up pics of the progress thus far

did you check the previous page of the wagon with IRS fitted?

Sure did Dean, but I got the impression there's a Barra up front, AU crossmember, BA steering column etc. I wouldn't mind seeing all that creative work too.

54 minutes ago, XCeed said:

Sure did Dean, but I got the impression there's a Barra up front, AU crossmember, BA steering column etc. I wouldn't mind seeing all that creative work too.

Yeah with the work on the back end, it has us all interested in seeing more for sure