Server maintenance Read more... ×
Big Blue

XD Headlight Glass

Hi,

I'm getting the reflectors recoated, I've got the headlight out, removed the clips that hold the glass to the headlight body, any tips for removing the glass from the rubber seal?

I would think some light heat, but not too much to crack the glass?

Any tips appreciated.

R Greg

Once all the clips are removed, it should come apart. Possibly stuck with age, or some numpty has put Silastic on there to seal them.  If memory serves, Clark rubber has something similar. 

Try and save a small section, if you can, cut it with a blade at 90 degrees to the glass, then take that in and see if they can match the profile., (think its just soft, square foam.) Doubt you'll  ever find a N.O.S seal, or headlight for that matter...... not even made aftermarket anymore, I reckon.

1 hour ago, Big Blue said:

I'm getting the reflectors recoated

Hi, I can't remember how the XD glass comes off. but just wondering who's doing the headlight re chrome.. and if they do plastic reflectors also 

i had some done AGES ago and it might be handy for other members to know who's still reconditioning them. 
@SPArKy_Dave would possibly need it sooner or later also. 

I got my xf reflectors done at the place in Melbourne about 5 years ago. Someone on this forum told me the company that does them. I remember a fella telling me that WB holden headlight reflectors are very similar to xd or xe. Not that they’d be easy to come by these days either.

37 minutes ago, bear351c said:

(think its just soft, square foam.) Doubt you'll  ever find a N.O.S seal, or headlight for that matter...... not even made aftermarket anymore, I reckon.

XD's used Ford Granada headlights - made by Bosch.

Some place in the UK, may have NOS or reproduction parts for the lights?

I believe I have or had, a NOS XD headlight seal somewhere.

I had a NOS glass too, but sold it yrs ago.

1 hour ago, Big Blue said:

Does anyone make the pivot pins to suit XD headlight, or are the XE ones the same?

not sure if you've got the headlight reflectors reco'd but this guy was doing them https://www.facebook.com/Xdfwreck

he may know of the clips/adjusters also he wrecks XD XE XF XG XH specifically