Server maintenance Read more... ×
scottly

Au falcon sohc starting issues help needed

Hey guys, I’m have a few problems with my ford falcon au sohc.

When I start the car on gas or petrol, it runs for one second then stalls. It sounds like it completely just cuts out!

Then I’ll go to start it again (on gas) some times it will fire straight up as if nothing is wrong. 

Some times it will start run for one second, then the rpm will drop almost making the car stall, but it catches itself from stalling and continues running.

Other times it will cough and pop out of the air box and struggles to start on gas.

It also has a rough idle and the exhaust fumes smell stronger than normal. 

I have replaced the plugs, leads, coils and intake manifold gasket. All 40,000kms ago.

I’m hoping some one has experienced a similar problem and knows how to fix this. 

Or if you have any suggestions for me to try would be great. Thanks scott

First thing I'd check would be fuel pressure reg. Pull the vacuum line off and see if there's petrol coming out of it (when primed). If there is, your diaphragm has blown and raw fuel is getting sucked into the manifold.

Otherwise, if you say it does the same thing on petrol or gas, then it's pointing toward ignition. Maybe a pickup is going dud or the ECU is toast.

Sent from my CPH1920 using Tapatalk

Thanks Gerg for the reply, I will check the fuel pressure reg/ vacuum line thing tomorrow, it can not hurt to try.

yes it does it when it’s on gas and it’s worse when it’s on gas! What do you mean when a pick up is going dud? 

it also sounds like there is a lifter rattle/tick? could a backfire have collapsed a lifter causing valves to not open and close properly?

I have never worked on a sohc engine or pulled one apart so it’s all new to me. Thanks

Most lpg systems start on petrol and then flick over to LPG when the engine has run for a few seconds, if its playing up when starting chances are its the fuel system playing up, one was to diagnose is to have someone try to start it while spraying some brake clean/carb cleaner down the throttle body, if is starts and runs easily then switches to lpg you know you have a problem with something in you fuel system, if it doesn't then it could be spark related

Thanks for all the advice guys. I tried everything and seems like it could be ignition related, or This is only a guess a bad lifter (lifters) causing a the little misfire. 

I did pull the plugs to see if there was a difference between them, they all seemed fine.

I think I’ll take it to my mechanic now, it’s not worth my time and effort to try a chase this problem.