CHESTNUTXE

240 300 CANADIAN 6 CYLINDER

With bordem set in and nothing to do i have found both a 240 and 300 ford canadian f truck engines,just something different from the usual v8 s and crossys,with just a bit of research the only apparent differance between them is the crank n rods ,head is the same ,and all bolt ons except carby was a tad smaller but in saying that,the guy has a complete 240 and a 300 in pieces so i figure cause its gunna get a strip down anyway lets just chux the 300 crank n rods in it with new go fast 😂bits from america,like the offy 4 barrel intake and juicy billet dizzy,i think thom once told me the 300 has a small block v8 bellhousing pattern ?

yeah very cool...they have a good following in the states....

if you need any bits, i have 2 x 240's sitting here, that will soon be scraped..one from a D series truck and the other from F100 (im in melb though)

looking forward to the build

cheers

Warren

Apparently the one doing the rounds of web with ls heads was modified with a hacksaw and "welded" with epoxy.
Im down the beach fishing

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

With bordem set in and nothing to do i have found both a 240 and 300 ford canadian f truck engines,just something different from the usual v8 s and crossys,with just a bit of research the only apparent differance between them is the crank n rods ,head is the same ,and all bolt ons except carby was a tad smaller but in saying that,the guy has a complete 240 and a 300 in pieces so i figure cause its gunna get a strip down anyway lets just chux the 300 crank n rods in it with new go fast bits from america,like the offy 4 barrel intake and juicy billet dizzy,i think thom once told me the 300 has a small block v8 bellhousing pattern ?

They are alot bigger (taller and longer) than a xflow or pre xflow with no interchangeable parts with the other 6 cylinders, yes they do use a v8 bellhousing

engine mounts are probly different i guess but the aussie f trucks had pre crossy 250 and crossy in em ? and a f truck has a big engine bay but what other cars could a swap be considerd.

They are alot bigger (taller and longer) than a xflow or pre xflow with no interchangeable parts with the other 6 cylinders, yes they do use a v8 bellhousing
I believe 390 FE pistons are feasible with an overbore and raise comp height to a reasonable amount, also 240 heads have smaller chambers so are a good boost for compression on a 300. Biggest bottleneck for performance is the heads. They can't be ported much and valve size is limited by their placement and chamber shape. Hence the clevo and LS Frankenstein combos that pop up occasionally.

I dunno where you find these oddball engines Chestnut but kudos to you for having that ability.

Sent from my CPH1920 using Tapatalk

engine mounts are probly different i guess but the aussie f trucks had pre crossy 250 and crossy in em ? and a f truck has a big engine bay but what other cars could a swap be considerd.
Ford US did some funny things in the 70s, they put 400s into cars as well as F-series, so you'd think theyd've shoehorned the 300 into a large car (using this same approach) but no... These big block 6s only went into trucks, industrial vehicles, pumps, airport tugs, etc. so maybe the mounts will pose a bit of a problem going into a Falcon.

The length could be another problem: they're at least 2" longer than a crossy. Probably comparable to a Chrysler hemi 6, with both having similar bore sizes, thus spacing.

i guess a cortina is out of the question but surley it will fit in a coon engine bay ,sorry i mean a cheer engine bay

It might fit in a Falcon engine bay if you use a slim radiator or move it in front of the support panel. Only one way to know I guess... There was a Maverick (not the 4x4) in the States getting around with one of these in it, and they share the same kind of front end as Falcon/Mustang. It was a pretty potent drag car, was turbo too. Stock internals except for valve springs. Not even rebuilt after 110k miles, runs 25 psi and does high 10s all day

And here's another Mav with that motor, but this time atmo with triple Webers and much more done internally. "The Mad Frenchman"

df3e941141701e8f5c7f9fcbcf7ef0eb.jpg60cf496e247a382fb10d9bf6c48015b4.jpg

I believe 390 FE pistons are feasible with an overbore and raise comp height to a reasonable amount, also 240 heads have smaller chambers so are a good boost for compression on a 300. Biggest bottleneck for performance is the heads. They can't be ported much and valve size is limited by their placement and chamber shape. Hence the clevo and LS Frankenstein combos that pop up occasionally.

I dunno where you find these oddball engines Chestnut but kudos to you for having that ability.

When i found that good 2nd hand 400 quite a few had their chance to grab it but snubbed it,all the bullshit i had read over 30 years about the 351m/400 is not true the 400 is great to arc up a bit with fresh parts it hammerd .

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

I've done a stack of research into this. Bloke near me has one in a 78 model F100, the thing is a mess but the 300/6 engine is complete.

The best 'parts book' build would be a 240 head on a 300 block, headers and dual exhaust for as long as possible before the merge into a single 3". The States even got cast dual exhaust manifold for ehavy duty applications, no idea if any made it here. Go a moderate manifold or even port the stocker for a Holley 500. Jam an HEI dizzy on there if you can, otherwise just upgrade the stocker to electronic if not fitted already and use a solid state coil for a nice fat spark.

Camshaft we're looking at something like a Howards 280996-10 with 500 lift and 220@50 which is plenty without stressing the stock valvetrain - see here: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hrs-280996-10/make/ford Anything more you'll probably want custom pistons or a very shaved deck to help with compression. 

The head flows about as well as an alloy Xflow, so poorly for such a big lump of an engine. Apparently you can up it with some mild work to about 200CFM intake, stock is about 185 or so... hence the Holley 500 which would be about perfect for a 250hp engine.

Unless you chop a pair of LS1 heads up... then you need three Holleys:

DW3JjF1rqbBGYIqe7KKssyEuR2ShNmWzkvyuUihj

Have a read. This guy is a legend, made the setup himself and just figured out where to chop. The pair of heads is centred on the #2 and #5 cylinders, and because of the size and shape of the chambers it doesn't matter that the others are a bit off-center on the bores. Amazing.

https://engineswapdepot.com/?p=4014

i havent got the engines yet,lets hope he dont sell them on me ,as he did have a nice original 300 but sold it ,still trying to work out delivery with covid border crap.

the guy who bought my 400 has the original 300 engine and im gunna score it next time he comes past in his truck ,the 400 is going in the truck and action man gets the 300 if that makes sense lol.
This is gonna be good... I would love to play with one of them

This is gonna be good... I would love to play with one of them

It has 70000miles on it original he says ,being a 7 ton f truck I would say it's a 300 and not a 240 God knows what I'm Gunnar do with it, but I do no a rebuild kit is very very cheap so will be interesting when I strip it down ,being low miles might not even need a re bore

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

It has 70000miles on it original he says ,being a 7 ton f truck I would say it's a 300 and not a 240 God knows what I'm Gunnar do with it, but I do no a rebuild kit is very very cheap so will be interesting when I strip it down ,being low miles might not even need a re bore

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

Ideal situation would be to have one of each, so you could grab the head off the 240 and plonk it in the 300 for an instant compression boost.

With so many aftermarket cylinder heads available for other relatively low-volume engines (like Pontiacs and AMCs, etc), I'm surprised that someone hasn't done a cross-flow, Cleveland-based head for this engine family recently. There were millions of these things pumped out and have steadily built a cult following. It's much easier to make castings now with CAD, rapid prototyping and 3D printing of moulds, etc.

i just had a quick look on usa e bay and there is so much available for these engines,a lot more than a 400 thats for sure,full rebuild kit for a 1968-85 is only $340us,but seems the later model efi engines are a bit more,even junkyards are asking $795 for a long engine ,hey gerg is there any way a crossy head can be bolted on ? or 2v 250 head

i just had a quick look on usa e bay and there is so much available for these engines,a lot more than a 400 thats for sure,full rebuild kit for a 1968-85 is only $340us,but seems the later model efi engines are a bit more,even junkyards are asking $795 for a long engine ,hey gerg is there any way a crossy head can be bolted on ? or 2v 250 head
Nah mate, bore spacing and head bolts won't be the same, probably water jacket issues too. You'd think of these engines as a "big block 6". It would be like trying to bolt a clevo head onto a 460

Even bolting a crossy head onto an early log head 200 block is a task. Some crazy guys have done it in the States but gotta ask... Why?

did the yanks get the 2v head on some of there 6s or was it only aussie 6s.
Nope, 2V heads were an Aussie thing, because Ford US only saw V8s as being worthy of performance upgrades. To them, the 6 was the basic cooking model and if you want power, buy a V8. Pontiac tried to make a sweet OHC inline 6 but GM kinda self-sabotaged it because they didn't want it to upstage their V8 models in the end.

There were inline 6 Ford nuts over there who'd go seeking out Aussie 2V heads to put on their motors, but in the last few years a mob (Classic Inlines I think) has tooled up and made basically a replica of the Aussie head but in alloy.