Server maintenance Read more... ×
Jc20

Mystery rear main seal size

I’m having a lot trouble finding a neo rear main oil seal for my 1989 86xxx 4.1 XF ute. I’m starting to think someone has fitted the wrong crank into the wrong block. Of the 2 different sized seals both don’t fit. The smaller one fits the crank but is to small for the block, the larger one fits the block but is to big for the crank. 

Crank seal surface dia is 92.5 mm and block seating is 110 mm. 
Anyone had this issue before? Cheers

Check the block code under the intake manifold. That tell you what block you actually have incase motor has been swapped out. For a late xf it should be 86DA or 87DA. 83DA block would be rope seal and 84DA be the two piece seal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay a 83DA crank won’t fit in as it is a different size and wouldn’t fit in a 86DA. What are the part numbers on the rear seals that you bought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll get those part numbers tomorrow. Yeah, it had a seal in it - the smaller one which leaked badly and I was able to remove it with my fingers.

The smaller ones part number is MTP4834

The larger one doesn’t have a part number on it.

looking at EF rear seals they mostly have a ID of 95mm where I need the ID to be 92mm. The EF Windsor has the ID 92mm but OD is 108mm where i need the OD to be 109.9mm

After doing a bit more research it seems to me that the crank mix up theory is the issue.

86da crank would have a seal ID 95mm, where the ID on the crank in mine is 92mm (84da) which is why the bigger seal doesn’t fit and vice verses with the smaller seal fitting the crank but not the block.
I got the Ute as a non runner for a couple of hundred dollars and it’s going to be a skid car, I’ll use the small seal and snot it into the block. Add my go fast parts and see how she goes.

84DA block is one piece rear main, (92mm x108mm x9.5mm), 86DA 95mm x110mm x 10mm, Yeah nearly like someone put a 84DA crank in a 86DA block

one way of comparing cranks is flywheel/flexplate bolts, 84DA crank will be 7/16" UNF, 86DA being M10x1.25.

Found a Volvo rear main 92mm x110mm x10mm

https://www.precisionintl.com/part/c/100000-standard/109000-gaskets---sealing/109128-rear-main-seals/b/elring/seal-ring/044.598.html

Cool, thanks for that. You’ve nailed it, the crank threads aren’t M10x1.25 and so must the former and therefore the earlier crank. Thanks heaps for finding that seal too. I can now get this build happening. Hopefully the crank change indicates a rebuilt bottom end.