Server maintenance Read more... ×
Free.51

Holley 600

Ok gotcha now. You will either have to install a fitting into the air cleaner close to the carby entry or just hide/remove that purge hose altogether. If you leave it disconnected rather than hooked up to the air cleaner, there will likely be a waft of fuel smell constantly coming out of the charcoal can, especially on hot days when there is more vapour being produced out of the tank.

Don't block it though, your fuel tank needs to breathe through the can. Back when I was a kid, my XB ballooned its tank out from 80 to 92 litres when it somehow failed to vent. My dad (who owned it then) only discovered this when he went to fill it up and noticed that it took way too much fuel compared to normal.

The other hose (I presume) went from the float bowl on the ThermoQuad back down to the can. That should be plugged off there, just a short bit of hose with a screw in it will do.

Your Holley isn't sealed so technically isn't an emissions carby like your TQ was. It just vents the bowls through the small passages on top at the entry to the throats, to be burnt up by the engine. When stationary (not running), the fuel vapour will waft out of these vents and out through the air cleaner. This is why old cars with these kinds of carbys always smell like fuel.

Sent from my CPH1920 using Tapatalk

Ok so the clear hose pictured that's the one that was on the float bowl so that can be blocked off & the black one that went to the front of the TQ thats the one that needs to be fitted to the air filter base im assuming?4aa7e6336c6cbc6be7767cf41a217e70.jpg

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Ok so the clear hose pictured that's the one that was on the float bowl so that can be blocked off & the black one that went to the front of the TQ thats the one that needs to be fitted to the air filter base im assuming?4aa7e6336c6cbc6be7767cf41a217e70.jpg

Yep that's what I'm on about. Sounds like you get what I'm saying... Can't wait to hear this thing run!

Will still soumd like a bag of shit!!!, it has a standard exhaust fitted atm cos i was planning to go for a rwc & get it registered in my name. Sure sounds better with the twin 2.5". Im confident it will perform much better than the TQ was🤞

This arrived in the post today, not sure if it goes on upside down or downside up + now i think the bolts that came with the adaptor plate are too short now to bolt the carb down aswell as the throttle bracket.a3a80670ddfeff605b9c0a3e3be16d97.jpg

Ive pretty much figured how the bracket will go on (can only go on 1 way) which means i gotta run the cable around the back of the motor. Need to take the carb off again & get 2 longer bolts as i figured the bolts aren't long enough to bolt both bracket & carb down. 

Got the throttle bracket on & sorted out the airfilter everything else is hooked up. Not sure how to hook up the throttle cable but ill have a look at some car mags & see how others have done it970db1096f5efa375721d9cad4227cc4.jpg9ec0159b7af222fa01a5d373b7f51bc0.jpg50b416d5b8065dc762eaadd6717550d9.jpg

13 minutes ago, Outback Jack said:

Awesome Free!, nice quick response on the carby.
Getting closer to rego, bet your excited.
Well done.

Sent from my S21 using Tapatalk

Yeah she feels very responsive Jack, i like it. She is still registered atm i just need to go for a rwc & get it registered in my name. Its in a friends name atm. Long story

Cheers Jack, just needs some rust work everything else ive done is brand new. Im a bit worried they might knock me back on the new carb having no EGR who knows.

I was worried about that shit, even had my cobra air cleaner on (yes not the std big silver dunny seat) and the bloke didn't even batt an eyelid. Funny too how nobody's even said anything about my T5 conversion or Shelby drop... Kinda works for us that many mechanics don't really know what they're looking at if the car's pre-1990. 

14 hours ago, gerg said:

I was worried about that shit, even had my cobra air cleaner on (yes not the std big silver dunny seat) and the bloke didn't even batt an eyelid. Funny too how nobody's even said anything about my T5 conversion or Shelby drop... Kinda works for us that many mechanics don't really know what they're looking at if the car's pre-1990. 

When i got a rwc back in 2017 the guy noticed that it had extractors so didnt have the little pipe that goes from the factory manifold up to the carb but let it pass.

I reckon ive figured out how to hook up the cable. If i keep the block on the front of the bracket with the springs then the cable will have to go around the back of the motor but if i was to run the cable around the front of the motor like on the TQ then i would have to take the block that has the springs flip it upside down & mount it to the back of the bracket & do the same with the block on the front of the bracket that holds the throttle cable. Ill have to test this when i get home, in Geelong atm doing some sanding on the "New" rear bumper on the NU Fairlane.

Hey guys just in the middle of hooking up the throttle cable & ive noticed there is no slice on the bracket where the inner cable slips through. Should i make a slice myself or isnt it supposed to have a slice in it. Most brackets ive had in the past have had a slice in it so that you can get the cable trough the hole & have the adjusting nut on one side of the bracket & the locknut on the other side.86548948c8ebdaadb6bccf5bec3a45aa.jpg1940cb97f4564f6db7f76f77df56014b.jpgead75646b48b601ba911d08804ac7659.jpg