Mick.G

Xf Steering Coupling

G'day all

(Power Steering)

I am looking for some advise as to the removal of the steering coupling from the steering wheel shaft. There is no locking nut/bolt holding it on , so gather it just slides on very tightly.

What is the best way to remove this without damaging anything else.Thank you in Advance.

20201215-132529.jpg

You need to undo the 2 nuts and bolts that go through the flange and rag joint, gently tap or pry the steering shaft up (it telescopes into the upper section), then undo the nut on the steering box input shaft to remove that flange adaptor and rag joint. If replacing the joint, the new one will come riveted to the input flange through the drive pins, or a replacement urethane rag joint will come with its own bolts (replacing the riveted pins) in which case you need to push out the pins.

All this is of course easier to do with the whole box out

Edit: I just realised that you might be taking the box out. So just those 2 flange bolts on the steering shaft and it will separate.

Sent from my CPH1920 using Tapatalk

Awesome. will have a go at this tomorrow.
Yea  I'm taking the box out to replace the bottom seals . will let you know how it goes.
I have a write-up of an overhaul somewhere on here. A few pointers there and some mistakes I made doing mine that I've shown.

5 hours ago, Mick.G said:

Awesome. will have a go at this tomorrow.

Yea  I'm taking the box out to replace the bottom seals . will let you know how it goes.

if you remove from the inside, the self tapper screws you can see(3/8 or 10mm heads on them i think) it will save your knuckles from being cut to pieces when the spanner slips..

well worth the extra 5 minutes

Had a go at cracking these nut's of........no go yet...will try again this arvo.

Did not have to undo the self tapper screws as the auto shifter linkage stop's me from swearing & cursing.

well it's a no go..nut's are on tight as hell..... no room for a socket and breaker bar.

Had a go at cracking these nut's of........no go yet...will try again this arvo.
Did not have to undo the self tapper screws as the auto shifter linkage stop's me from swearing & cursing.

well it's a no go..nut's are on tight as hell..... no room for a socket and breaker bar.
That sucks big time.. have you tried linking spanners together?

6 hours ago, Mick.G said:

i think they are 9/16 and 1/2 inch....don't think they are metric,, the way i've always done them is put one spanner on the bolt side, and the other on the nut side and squeeze them together 

ring spanners work best

16 minutes ago, Mick.G said:

cheer's gent's  .. will soak them over night and have another go at them.....:mellow:

they'll most likely just be very tight. i've never sprayed mine(but they've never had rust on them... would definitely spray CRC etc or oil if there's surface rust present)

just have your wheeties in the morning, get GOOD fitting spanners and wear gloves if you need skin on your knuckles

Need some more guidance Gent's , In relation to the type of Pitman Shaft Kit i will need to require ,Is there any brands to stay away from ?

Would like real good quality kit .

12 minutes ago, Mick.G said:

Need some more guidance Gent's , In relation to the type of Pitman Shaft Kit i will need to require ,Is there any brands to stay away from ?

Would like real good quality kit .

i would recommend staying away from suzuki super seller on ebay after My issues with dangerous tie rods.

the last one i bought was a repco one. but i'd go with TRW if they even exist anymore

be sure to make sure it's for power steering (or manual if it's its non power steering as they are different)

Me again.....sorry for being annoying  .

I have the Steering box installed .(Fu*k yeh.)  Stuck at getting the Pitman Shaft Nut done all the way up........

have being tightening the bolt up and then loosening the bolt and can not any further manually .got at least half an Inch to go !!

would really like a tip on this.

Me again.....sorry for being annoying  .

I have the Steering box installed .(Fu*k yeh.)  Stuck at getting the Pitman Shaft Nut done all the way up........

have being tightening the bolt up and then loosening the bolt and can not any further manually .got at least half an Inch to go !!

would really like a tip on this.

Stupid question... they have a master spline so you can't get them wrong. Are you 100% that the master spline lines up with its mate on the arm?

Give us a pic if you can, just to make sure nothing obvious is wrong.

I managed to just feed this arm onto the end of the shaft by hand, no force at all:

1293b3641f5d1f6fa519822639f5ca5d.jpg

Also, can you confirm that the arm is correct for type (ie: power or manual)

I have both manual and power arms, and even though they have the same part number, clearly the power steer one is beefier around the outside. I can't pull the manual one apart to check right now, but it's possible that the manual sector shaft is smaller in diameter, and you could have one of them instead of a power steer arm.

0b194caaf993391cbe3c85ec4edc581b.jpg

got a rattle gun onto it. It is done up all the way nice and tight.

Thank's again gent's