LJDB

benefits of fitting a msd

what are benifits of fitting a msd 6a or the likes.

driveabilty, h/p gains, starting, fuel consumption. 

will it help a mild 250 with the basics, cam, comp, exhaust, 2bbl holley or only big engines.

Well I have yet to hear anyone complain about a TFI dizzy plus MSD ignition on a xflow.Starts easier,better fuel burn for more power,better economy if tuned to suit,smoother driveabilty and all for under $300.

What else would give you that return for that sort of money?  

In a high comp engine spark amplifiers are a must but im not sure weather it would make such a big difference in a stock engine. Increasing the compression ratio would see the greatest gains.

In a high comp engine spark amplifiers are a must but im not sure weather it would make such a big difference in a stock engine. Increasing the compression ratio would see the greatest gains.

I have to agree with xeeclipse. The std bosch electronic dizzy and std coil is fine with 10.5:1 comp and a 5500rpm cam. There are gains to be made with 6000rpm plus motors with 11:1 plus comp but under this the gains are not worth the money imo.

Cheers

I have to agree with xeeclipse. The std bosch electronic dizzy and std coil is fine with 10.5:1 comp and a 5500rpm cam. There are gains to be made with 6000rpm plus motors with 11:1 plus comp but under this the gains are not worth the money imo.

Cheers

^^^This clown^^^ is stuck in the late 90's....std dizzy what a tool...I'm supprised he didin't try to sell some regraphed peice of shit he so happed to just have sitting there!!

Use the Hall effect sensor dizzy and MSD 6al-2 and you'll be laughing. Might not be a massive gain now (but will be noticeable) but if your like me and alot of other people that igition setup will support a bigger set of mods that you may do in the future so may as well do it once now.

Yeah your right Jase my slapper ute engine all them years ago went from a engine that struggled to rev to a clean revving better running car instantly.There's a thread on xfalcon people should read before taking any advice off that mentioned bloke.

I also agree that the MSD is worth the investment, especially the programmable 6530 you will end up saving money when you don't have to get a dizzy regraphed everytime you slightly mod your engine as you can just change the curve on a laptop and upload it into the car, plus all the other features of the unit.

I also agree that the MSD is worth the investment, especially the programmable 6530 you will end up saving money when you don't have to get a dizzy regraphed everytime you slightly mod your engine as you can just change the curve on a laptop and upload it into the car, plus all the other features of the unit.

And thats why i have one :-)

I was thinking of getting one, do you guys run a map sensor to measure engine load on an NA motor? And if so, is there a general rule for retard timing based on load or is it just trial and error?

Hey guys just wondering if anyone who has one of these TFI dizzys and MSD setups could steer me in the right direction with what brands/ part numbers would fit a 250 cross flow?. Any info would be great.

Cheers...

Adrian, using a MAP sensor is not needed on a N/A engine, you can and set it up as replacement for vac advance which is just economy based, who needs economy on a worked crossy lol. MAP is a must for boosted applications with the MSD 6530 unit. Trial and error is the way to go unless you can get it sorted on a dyno.

Jeremy, the programmable MSD is pn 6530 and is the best way to go in my opinion, the TFI dizzy is a Bosch unit only found on efi XF falcons.

Hope that helps

Might have to start saving and just go all out haha..shame apprentice pay rates arnt that crash hot. 

Is there any certain after market distributors that you can get ?? 

Might have to start saving and just go all out haha..shame apprentice pay rates arnt that crash hot. 

Is there any certain after market distributors that you can get ?? 

You do not need nor want a aftermarket dizzy.The stock TFI is the best dizzy you can fit to a x-flow period! 2nd in ignition only to a crank trigger which you cannot afford if them MSD's are too much.

No worries gun...but I aint traveling over there to find out so you better drag it over to the Eastern side of Australia.If you had a half decent engine and suspension there's no reason it wouldn't on weight saving alone let alone power.Actually are you gunna race it at all? There was a dude from SA who raced a 253 powered 120Y to mid 11's with a pretty mild set up.

That would be cool seeing a 11 sec Dato thats x-flow powered...

Yeah mate I would love to come over in the future and catch up with everyone over there. Bring the datto over and have some fun. 100% going to race it Sly with the crossy, clevo for skids. I have the tube for the cage sitting in the workshop and the steel for the new rear chassis section for the tubs and diff. I am seriously considering going meth like yourself.

Ohh shit it's this guy again with his "other" opinion =P Look into my eyes.

The other option for ignition upgrades is an inductive type. Instead of an MSD box you have a regular but high energy inductive coil. SOmething between 100-125mj spark energy will be an upgrade and will give you a longer duration constant burn through a greater crankshaft degree than MSD. up to 5500rpm, can turn to shit over that though so if your interested in breaking 6krpm stay away from single coil inductive setup.

There are a couple of high energy coils like the 120mj bosch hec723 may work directly off the 50-50duty the TFI will supply... But a tuned spark curve will always be better than a locked one so if you'r not using an ECU a programmable MSD (they program a spark curve right?) will perform better than a locked inductive setup.