Server maintenance Read more... ×
wok

XE falcon with Barra - dash gauges

G'day, have barra swapped my XE, but wondering what others have done for gauges in partuiclaur temp and oil ? and maybe the dash economy gauge

i was also wanting to run a seperate tacho (as opposed to the indash one) as i have an old VDO one that suits the car.

- speedo is working albeit a little out as its running off the T5, have played around with the gears from 18t to 21t, thinking it might need 22t with the 3.45 rear diff

- fuel guage is fine as its all stadard XE wiring.

- alt light is fine, tapped the barra loom to the standard XE wiring

Thanks
Warren

I messed around with the speedo on my XB for ages with different drive gears etc, ended up ripping out the gauge and getting it recalibrated. Works sweet as now. 

Sorry, can't help with the Barra stuff. (No carby..LOL. )

Hi Warren,

I haven't done a Barra swap, but this is all about calibration, as with the speedo.

XE gauges are calibrated to receive signals from XE sender units. Can you fit an XE temp sender unit to the back of a Barra head, with an adapter if necessary (and extend the crossflow loom from the front to the back)? Same with the oil pressure sender unit. Temperature is temperature, pressure is pressure, so the signal coming out of the XE sender unit is understood by the XE gauge. Voltage out of the Barra alternator is voltage, so the XE gauge can understand the output voltage signal.

I take it you're running a standard XE dash cluster with an Economy gauge. I believe that gauge runs off a vacuum signal. I suggest you find where the vacuum line taps into the crossflow and replicate it on the Barra.

The tacho signal for a Barra is more complicated regarding aftermarket tachometers. Check out:

http://www.thebarraguide.com/tachometer-signal/

I believe you'll need an adapter.

Member 'Ants' has a great Barra into XE project, "Sleeping with the fish". The info that you need might all be there.

cheers thanks for that, i was probably over complicating it thinking i needed to take a feed  from the barra computer output !.....back in the shed tonight so ill see what i can hook up !...

Hi Warren,

I haven't done a Barra swap, but this is all about calibration, as with the speedo.

XE gauges are calibrated to receive signals from XE sender units. Can you fit an XE temp sender unit to the back of a Barra head, with an adapter if necessary (and extend the crossflow loom from the front to the back)? Same with the oil pressure sender unit. Temperature is temperature, pressure is pressure, so the signal coming out of the XE sender unit is understood by the XE gauge. Voltage out of the Barra alternator is voltage, so the XE gauge can understand the output voltage signal.

I take it you're running a standard XE dash cluster with an Economy gauge. I believe that gauge runs off a vacuum signal. I suggest you find where the vacuum line taps into the crossflow and replicate it on the Barra.

The tacho signal for a Barra is more complicated regarding aftermarket tachometers. Check out:
http://www.thebarraguide.com/tachometer-signal/
I believe you'll need an adapter.

Member 'Ants' has a great Barra into XE project, "Sleeping with the fish". The info that you need might all be there.
Barras don't have a coolant temp sensor. They have cylinder head temp sensor, it's not actually in the water jacket, just the metal of the head.

From what I have been able to find, most people will tap a thread into the thermostat housing and fit a sender there for the cars coolant temp sender.

23 hours ago, Mr Polson said:

Barras don't have a coolant temp sensor. They have cylinder head temp sensor, it's not actually in the water jacket, just the metal of the head.

From what I have been able to find, most people will tap a thread into the thermostat housing and fit a sender there for the cars coolant temp sender.

yes was just researching this, to see if i could use a E series housing as it already has a holes drilled etc.....

got the econogauge working found the vac line for that and plumbed it in...never gets to power....the barra must be too economical !....

with the speedo drive in the gearbox, is there any different between the untis say from the XE BW auto and the EF T5 manual ? i have swapped gears around but someone mentioned to me that the actual unit may be different, and that i should use the original XE one and change the gear....visually they look the same except part numbers

16 minutes ago, Mr Polson said:

Think XE speedos pulse at 8/sec whereas XF onwards is 10?

I may be wrong about that

the senders do..  XD XD 8 pulses per tailshaft rev, XF sender to AU probably even later is 10pulse per rev of tailshaft