EDi

Plastic reservoir type to Teardrop Power steering Pump conversion?

Hey, hoping someone has a plan on how to marry up the old type XD Power Steering hose which works with a plastic type reservoir pump  to the teardrop type without getting an XF 6 cyl hose or getting a new plastic type pump??

Don't really want to put in a new hose as it seems a punish to replace.

HELP!! 

Hose connector.jpg

Pump.JPG

The old pump is probably like the old Saginaws from the 70s, which had an imperial fitting, 5/8" springs to mind. I have no experience with these old ones, but the fitting is likely an SAE flare type, same as what goes on the steering box end.

Some time around the early 80s, GM went to a 16mm thread on their pumps (which Ford used) and you'll either need to change hoses, find some kind of adaptor from metric going into the pump to SAE flare, or (possibly) swap the fitting that screws into the back of the flow control valve, also partially holding the casing to the pump body.

If you can get hold of an early pump to suit an imperial hose end, this fitting *MIGHT* swap over between pumps. There are adaptors that go from 5/8”-18 to -6 AN (JIC) hydraulic type but that doesn't help you because you're after 5/8" to 16mm.

Your only option might be to replace the pressure hose.

Sent from my CPH1920 using Tapatalk

Many thanks. Rang a few power steering places today and they echo your comments. Might have to suck it up and replace new XD hose i had installed before the engine went in with an XF 6 cyclinder one which i have been informed should work.