Server maintenance Read more... ×
MACKAZ

VCT head swap

Will a VCT head go onto a standard AU block? If not what are the differences? And how do you make the VCT work without a computer, is it as easy as an rpm switch? Been offered a trio of "lucky dips" ones a VCT and if it works it might be worthwhile

Can you just power it up full time will it run ok?

The actuator is set so that one direction is fully advanced, the other is fully retarded. The best compromise would be halfway, so if you had a means of locking out the timing there, that would put the valve timing at the midpoint of optimal between both extremes, probably will have good midrange.

Locking it in fully retarded will give you more top end but will be soggy down low, fully advanced will give you more low end but the motor will hit a wall for power pretty early.

Hooking up an rpm switch would work I guess. You'd just need to work out when the torque starts to drop off when it's in the advanced mode so you know when to swich to retarded mode. So if you were looking at a graph of the torque curve for both modes overlaid, you would watch for the point where they both cross, and that's where you would switch it.

If you're running a BBM, you could use the signal from that solenoid to trigger a relay to switch valve timing as well. I would guess that the optimal changeover point would be roughly when the short runners kick in. If you had to do a farmer-spec (backyard) install, this would be the go.

Sent from my CPH1920 using Tapatalk

GDay on my AU VCT powered EF, we used an RPM switch and set it at 3000, i think the BBM comes on at 3800, seems to work really well.

cheers

warren