Server maintenance Read more... ×
Dirtyxhute

Xg falcon loosing power

Gday boys, finally picked up my xg, and I’m finding it has some troubles with fuel pump even when running on gas.

Seems it’s buggered as it’s singing bloody loud the entire time the cars on once it’s been running a while and warmed up. Goes fine while it’s cold.

My question is whether or not a buggered fuel pump will make me loose power even on gas ? Coming home yesterday from a run up the road I could barely get to 80 with foot flat. Zero grunt.

Exhaust is pretty smelly, so I’m thinking the o2 sensor may be buggered too which could be a cause ?

Any other ideas fellas, I’m pulling my hair out

Cheers.

Photo of the boys for good faith 4acffaf8b76904f341234e2062c52b35.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gday boys, finally picked up my xg, and I’m finding it has some troubles with fuel pump even when running on gas.

Seems it’s buggered as it’s singing bloody loud the entire time the cars on once it’s been running a while and warmed up. Goes fine while it’s cold.

My question is whether or not a buggered fuel pump will make me loose power even on gas ? Coming home yesterday from a run up the road I could barely get to 80 with foot flat. Zero grunt.

Exhaust is pretty smelly, so I’m thinking the o2 sensor may be buggered too which could be a cause ?

Any other ideas fellas, I’m pulling my hair out

Cheers.

Photo of the boys for good faith 4acffaf8b76904f341234e2062c52b35.jpg

Seems Tapatalk app has posted multiple times, sorry fellas

Didn't think the fuel pump would run while you're on Gas?  You sure it's not a uni joint, or wheel bearing etc..?

Neither did I, but bloke I bought it off- ex ford employee reckons it’s always ran the whole time..

Definite fuel pump. Can’t miss the old falcon fuel pump sound

Neither did I, but bloke I bought it off- ex ford employee reckons it’s always ran the whole time..

Definite fuel pump. Can’t miss the old falcon fuel pump sound

Starts off sounding fine, relay kicks, pump rolls over and it’s all good, then once it’s bad the whirring is almost intolerable

Hmmm....... 

Maybe the pump is fooked.? Must run a continuous pressure line back to the tank.  Do you have a regulator with a pressure gauge on it.? Could see the pressure drop.

Haven’t got the regulator to measure, but I’m still baffled as to why my powers out the window even in gas ? It runs ordinary on unleaded all of a sudden so I’ve got a feeling the pumps rooted

possible catalytic converter blocked? when mine collapsed it would barely do 60kmh (in an XF) and when i parked it on My lawn it was so hot it burned the green grass.. i could also feel the carpet above it REALLY hot (causing a smell also) 

Rotten egg smell ,? ,,,,cat converter ,,

a “ cyclone “ sort of sound out the tailpipe ,,one of the baffle walls in one of the mufflers has collapsed and blocking flow ,, 

found that old chestnut on my ol Ltd 

I agree with Bear mate, didn't think fuel pump would run when running on gas.
Is it running rich, blowing a bit of black smoke when you rev it?
Could be a few things. XG's can be a bit hard to diagnose, but keep at it and I'll see if I can help along the way.

Sent from my S21 using Tapatalk

Dunno dean I don't run gas on mine. Just seemed strange.
But its running shit both ways so must be flow, fuel, air or electronics.

Sent from my S21 using Tapatalk

It “was” running beautifully on both lpg and unleaded on the drive home. Then the pump started to sing after sitting for a few hours then driving again. It was about 240 km to drive it back, and it didn’t miss a beat. Then took it for half hour drive that night and the pump started to whine. I didn’t notice power loss at that stage because I was on gas, and also it was late at night in Warrandyte and I’m not quite use to the xg handling. So I wasn’t pushing it.

But then drove it yesterday and that’s when I noticed the power loss once it warmed up. It smells like it’s running rich over rotten egg smell.

Going to replace the fuel pump and put a new o2 sensor in and see what happens. Well and truly got me stumped

For Efi Falcons on LPG, its standard fare for the fuel pump to be running the whole time, that's why they always used to say you have to keep a minimum of 1/4 tanks of petrol so the pump doesn't burn out, when switching between gas and petrol all the switch does is turn the injectors on and off and turn the lpg lockoff on the opposite position, they are wired this way so that LPG and petrol can be switched instantly without having to wait for the fuel rail to be refilled if you haven't run on petrol for a long stint

For Efi Falcons on LPG, its standard fare for the fuel pump to be running the whole time, that's why they always used to say you have to keep a minimum of 1/4 tanks of petrol so the pump doesn't burn out, when switching between gas and petrol all the switch does is turn the injectors on and off and turn the lpg lockoff on the opposite position, they are wired this way so that LPG and petrol can be switched instantly without having to wait for the fuel rail to be refilled if you haven't run on petrol for a long stint

Thanks for the confirmation. Swore I could hear it. Phew.

Changed fuel pump, still no power

On 11/22/2020 at 1:50 AM, Thom said:
On 11/21/2020 at 8:11 PM, bear351c said:
Coil pack on these..??

Xg and xh had distributors, the utes missed out on coil packs until au

Thanks mate, not familiar with the late model stuff. Could it be a dicky module.?