Server maintenance Read more... ×

Hi guys trying to work out the ratio on this diff with out taking the hat off as the tag is long gone can any of you work out the sticker

Cheers Jasonee38ce6c9f1f89a369cdf1b1d572ffe5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Not sure mate, but if there's one thing I've learnt is to not trust anything anymore - lots of parts interchange and anyone could have done so in the past.

Jack a rear wheel up so it can turn freely. With the handbrake off and the wheel chocked, put the car in neutral and turn that wheel one full turn. Have someone look underneath at the tailshaft and record how many turns it does. It helps if you put a mark on it first.

The number of turns is your diff ratio, eg 3 turns will be a 2.92 or 3.08, 2.7 turns a 2.72, 3 and a quarter a 3.23 and so on.

- boingk

If you know what it came out of, that would give some clue.

Sedans still had 2.92, wagons 3.23, utes 3.27, XR sedan I dunno maybe 3.27, XR ute 3.45?

Pop the hat off,will only take 10 min max, and the ratio will be etched on the crownwheel.

Sent from my CPH1920 using Tapatalk

It's still in the car its a gli sedan, i was just being lazy and didn't want to drop the oil, a mate from speedway is looking for 3.23 for this weekend

It's still in the car its a gli sedan, i was just being lazy and didn't want to drop the oil, a mate from speedway is looking for 3.23 for this weekend

Wagon is the go then. You'll obviously have to swap gears out if going into a sedan.

If you know what it came out of, that would give some clue. 

Sedans still had 2.92, wagons 3.23, utes 3.27, XR sedan I dunno maybe 3.27, XR ute 3.45?

Pop the hat off,will only take 10 min max, and the ratio will be etched on the crownwheel.

gli and futura Sedans went to 3.08 as a standard ratio from eb to au, fairmonts and fairlane were 3.23 standard, xr6 and 6 cylinder fairmont ghia were 3.45's xr8 (and 5.0l in general) had 3.23 open diffs until el then xr8 came standard with 3.45, but most ratios were optional and available in all models

Wagon is the go then. You'll obviously have to swap gears out if going into a sedan.

Well i say me mate is still chasing gears then i got the sedan for the wiring harness, needs to be modified to fit a au

gli and futura Sedans went to 3.08 as a standard ratio from eb to au, fairmonts and fairlane were 3.23 standard, xr6 and 6 cylinder fairmont ghia were 3.45's xr8 (and 5.0l in general) had 3.23 open diffs until el then xr8 came standard with 3.45, but most ratios were optional and available in all models  
Thanks Thom, didn't know about the 3.08 (thought that was just ELs and Commos)