Server maintenance Read more... ×
waderobertson

Checking 275 wheel clearance on the XF

Hey team,

About to fork out for a set of the below for the wagon.

uuussgx.jpg

They only do a 10" and 8" option for the V51s. Naturally I want to go as wide as possible on the rear, which (for me) means 275. I'm keen for a stance like the below with a 25-30mm rake and some guard clearance at the rear.  Photo credit to ford muscle cars instagram account.

ugRY29Q.jpg

85G5hWx.jpg

I used an online calculator to see what I had to play with (look at the 'new' figures) when running a 275x35 on the 17x10 rim (0 offset):

r0tRTsE.jpg

I made up this highly engineered and precise measuring tool, which uses the diameter above, 275 tyre width at 0 offset and used it to test inner and outer clearance.

nIxtfFZ.jpg

Result was a 6mm clearance to the top of the outer guard which includes a someone 'organically' rolled lip (aka rough as guts) and a 20mm clearance to the closest point of the inner guard.

DaZDsgh.jpg    g5l4k36.jpg

Inclination is to run with a 6mm offset to gain a little more clearance to the outer guard, and about 50mm of suspension travel before guard rub becomes an issue. I'll be running 17x8 on the front with 235 and 0 offset, which don't seem to present any issues with a lowered but otherwise standard suspension set up.

A few pics of the wheels on the wagon. 10x17 6mm offset. I've ended up with a little more guard clearance that I had expected so as it sits there's about 50mm of travel before guard rub becomes an issue. I'll slap a full tank of gas and some weight in the back and road test it is see how it goes... maybe a small spacer in the back might be in order, hopefully not as I'm happy with stance. (note: the current tyres are 275x40 slicks while I wait for 4 weeks for the actual tyres to arrive from over the puddle.)

tlV5fPj.jpg

IZI0iN9.jpg?1

oI9U3B9.jpg

EiK0Ysg.jpg

Kmv5TP1.jpg

8x17 235x45 are spot on for fronts.

rJRYZfE.jpg

I still don't know what I've got in the way of front and rear springs but given the overall diameter of the wheels are the same as standard I reckon it's been dropped about 40-50mm. Hopefully this is useful for anyone that might be getting mixed messages about running 10inch wheels on an otherwise standard setup, I know I did!

Great info there mate, I was worried about 8" on the front in regards to ball joint clearance, although with 17s I think the rim will sit above the ball joint regardless of offset. In any case, do you know the offset on the front? Was that rear offset +6 or -6?

Sent from my CPH1920 using Tapatalk

43 minutes ago, gerg said:

Great info there mate, I was worried about 8" on the front in regards to ball joint clearance, although with 17s I think the rim will sit above the ball joint regardless of offset. In any case, do you know the offset on the front? Was that rear offset +6 or -6?

I've just had a look in the build thread gerg and he mention in there that front are 0.

I've just had a look in the build thread gerg and he mention in there that front are 0.
Yeah cheers mate, just saw that myself. Knowing that is more reassuring as the ones I want are 16x8" +0.

Rears for mine were going to be 16x8" -10 but they will still tuck in too much for my liking (that familiar Falcon rear track issue). I think I might be a bit naughty and go with -25. I dunno ..

I already have a full set of 215/65 R16 tyres to go all round but could stretch to 9 or 10 inch rims on the back and splash out on a pair of 245 tyres or something. I'm just not a fan of staggering offsets and widths a huge amount if I can avoid it.

38 minutes ago, gerg said:

Yeah cheers mate, just saw that myself. Knowing that is more reassuring as the ones I want are 16x8" +0.

Rears for mine were going to be 16x8" -10 but they will still tuck in too much for my liking (that familiar Falcon rear track issue). I think I might be a bit naughty and go with -25. I dunno ..

I already have a full set of 215/65 R16 tyres to go all round but could stretch to 9 or 10 inch rims on the back and splash out on a pair of 245 tyres or something. I'm just not a fan of staggering offsets and widths a huge amount if I can avoid it.

Hey gerg,

+6mm for the back and 0 for the front mate. I'll take some pics of clearances if you want?

Cheers.

Old thread, but that car looks perfect. Can't beat gold rims and green paint!

Back before I decided to leave my car as is, it was going to be pretty much this but with FR-1 style rims and redine tyres