Server maintenance Read more... ×
Geef

Aircon - try find a factory unit or go vintage air universal kit

G'day,

I regretfully ditched the factory aircon unit 15yrs ago from a ZG. 15 years later I want aircon on a ZG that did not have from factory 😵

What do you think is the better option?

Get a vintage air universal kit and modify/fit the new electric control panel where the factory controls once sat? 

Try and find a factory evaporator unit, modify to suit R-134 and buy new compressor, condensor, receiver etc? I have no idea how hard they are and my eyes water when looking on gumtree for clapped out units. 

Yeah, i hear ya..!   Original A/C units are like Gold bullion at the moment. Been looking at Vintage Air, and the like for the XB, maybe an under dash fanny freezer, but modifying the dash controls isn't really my thing. The old York style compressor used to sit high and proud on the passenger side of the Clevo, and they're not a great unit, the later model Sanden ? type compressors are more efficient, smaller, and I guess with the right bracketry, can be mounted anywhere. 

Good luck trying to find an original TX valve/drier/evap for the old girl, and when you do it will be pricey. Not that the newer units are much cheaper, but they'll probably last longer and be colder. 

Have a look at autoaer.com.au as well. 

Yep I think I'll go with the vintage air at least I know what quality I'm getting. 

The compressor that comes with is a Sanden 508, eventually will make up some brackets to sit where the power steering pump sits (I do not love how high the compressor sits in the stock position). PS pump will be electric.

The dream would be if you could modify the electric vintage air control panel and have the original control as a type of "cover" over. So you have electric control while still looking stock. An expensive experiment and I dont think I have the skill or patience for that :)

Agreed, The stock mounting position is crappy. I have seen them mounted down low, not sure how much work would involved, and figure it would all be custom made bracketry.

Be nice if there was a kit, but, I'm just being a lazy fucker.......