wokko

Fuel pump question

I have a 1993 xg falcon ute 4 liter

I went for a cruise today as I had some stutter issues on acceleration which I tracked down to a crack in the hose of the map sensor on the manifold side.

Car run beautiful until the way home, it died.... turn key and it has a weak prime sound and then the pump stops, prior to this when you start the car you can hear the pump running all the time.

Do you think the fuel pump has died?

Might be the pump or something connected to it.
Fuel pump relay- green one near brake booster on drivers side.
Test with a multimeter. Should be 60ohm give or take 10%.
If its not, replace it.
Open up your hatch in the back of the ute, get the fuel pump wiring, should be a plastic plug, unplug it, run multimeter across the fuel pump wires.
Should be less than 10ohm resistance.
If not replace pump.

Could also be a blocked fuel filter but try those two things first.

Sent from my S21 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Outback Jack said:

Might be the pump or something connected to it.
Fuel pump relay- green one near brake booster on drivers side.
Test with a multimeter. Should be 60ohm give or take 10%.
If its not, replace it.
Open up your hatch in the back of the ute, get the fuel pump wiring, should be a plastic plug, unplug it, run multimeter across the fuel pump wires.
Should be less than 10ohm resistance.
If not replace pump.

Could also be a blocked fuel filter but try those two things first.

Cheers will look at them tomorrow

The pump is very noisy, its been like that since I brought the ute

I thought it was just like that in the falcon utes as I haven't owmed a ute (vh dodge ute) for around 20 or so years and couldn't remember if they were noisy or not

Hey Wokko,
Yeah noisy pump could be pump on the way out or lost the filter sock on the end and sucked up crap. Could even still be fuel filter blocked and pump trying to push past it.
Think your on the right track.
Let me know how you go mate.

I brought a Fuelmiser fuel pump today and fitted it.

It started fine but running/idling rough as guts.

I did put a new fuel filter on it a couple of weeks ago, wondering if I should get another one or just pull it off and check it first ???

I need to pull the fuel pump out again  as the sender unit is reading a 1/4 more than it should ( I can't win with this ute :) )

But atleast it is running.

Have you got the sock filter on the end of the pump? Was there one there before you changed the pump?
The real fuel filter under the ute on the passenger side under the side window is the one you changed?
If no, change fuel filter.

If yes to all that....
There is a little joiner for the fuel pump that goes to the hard-line inside the tank, like a plastic donut. Piss that off and put a piece of efi fuel line there and hose clamps. They don't seal well after all the years.
Then check you haven't accidentally knocked off a vaccum line under the bonnet. Shake the PCV valve and make sure its working.

If all that is good, I will help you find the problem mate.
Another XG owner here. :)

On 9/29/2020 at 8:43 PM, Outback Jack said:

Have you got the sock filter on the end of the pump? Was there one there before you changed the pump?
The real fuel filter under the ute on the passenger side under the side window is the one you changed?
If no, change fuel filter.

If yes to all that....
There is a little joiner for the fuel pump that goes to the hard-line inside the tank, like a plastic donut. Piss that off and put a piece of efi fuel line there and hose clamps. They don't seal well after all the years.
Then check you haven't accidentally knocked off a vaccum line under the bonnet. Shake the PCV valve and make sure its working.

If all that is good, I will help you find the problem mate.
Another XG owner here. :)

Yes it had a sock on it albeit dirty but was there,

It started fine but it was rough as guts and the sounded like the timing was out of whack.

Last owner apparently put a new dizzy in it but couldn't get it going which ended up being a fuel relay instead.

So I thought I redo the dizzy and redo the timing but what a nightmare

I set it like the falcon manual says and car wont start at all

I need to point the rotor at nearly 9 o'clock before it will even start but very rough and smell the richness of fuel

So I must be doing something wrong

The way the manual has the tfi module and rotor just does not work for for some reason

Oh yeah I will replace that donut looking thing I was lazy and left it on :)

You need to bridge the two pins on the left hand side of the diagnostic port to set the timing.
That puts it into diagnostic mode.
Then set to 10 degrees advanced or where the timing mark says IGN, that is 10degrees BTDC.
If you don't bridge those wires you won't get the timing right.

Before you do that....

Make sure you have the motor set up on the compression stroke on Top Dead Centre then Number one on the dizzy cap should be if your looking from front of motor, towards you and over towards the motor side.

Firing order is 153624.

Best of luck mate.

40 minutes ago, Outback Jack said:

You need to bridge the two pins on the left hand side of the diagnostic port to set the timing.
That puts it into diagnostic mode.
Then set to 10 degrees advanced or where the timing mark says IGN, that is 10degrees BTDC.
If you don't bridge those wires you won't get the timing right.

Before you do that....

Make sure you have the motor set up on the compression stroke on Top Dead Centre then Number one on the dizzy cap should be if your looking from front of motor, towards you and over towards the motor side.

Firing order is 153624.

Best of luck mate.

Cheers mate I was doing that but the car wont start. only thing I'm not sure of is there is a metal ( V looking) plate coming of the timing cover with a line down the middle but I'm not sure if that is the 0 mark or 10 deg mark as there is nothing on it to say and maybe that's my issue as I'm lining it up with that mark ???

I did know about bridging those ports but need to be able to start it first probably :)

There should be two separate markers for timing on the front cover the one on the right is Top Dead Centre and the one on the left with IGN marked on it is the one you want to set it to, that is 10 degrees BTDC.

If there is only one marker, that is unusual.

The TFI module on the bottom of the dizzy should be on about a 45 degree angle looking from the front.

Hope that helps. That's roughly the right position.

I would double check the dizzy is in the right spot. If its on the exhaust stroke and not the compression stroke, dizzy will be 180degrees out.

There is only one mark on my timing case which is a v looking plate with a line in the middle and no other markings.

There is also no mark on the harmonic balancer either, well one small mark on the inside which seems to be it ???

So I'm assuming now that (timing mark plate thingy)  maybe the 10 deg mark

Hopefully tomorrow If the treat it as the 10 deg btdc I might be ok ???

Thanks for tfi info as I wasn't sure where to have it pointing.

That dizzy looks roughly in the right spot, but that timing pointer is weird, its not XG.

Can you take a pic of the whole motor mate? Something's not right here.

I posted some pics in the other post you made of where the dizzy should be and the timing marks.

See, that arrow could be Top Dead Centre or 10 degrees BTDC, only way to tell is run it with marks lining up, see how she runs, if it runs like a pig try it set up 20mm to the left as you look at it, and see how it runs then.

It's just weird there is only one timing mark. Usually you have to look down between that idler arm pulley bracket to see an XG's timing marks, not off to the side.

Where that hose is running across the top of that bracket is usually what you look thru to see timing marks.

@Thom , have you ever seen this timing pointer set up on an XG? Should be IGN and TDC marker.

Yeah, thought the timing marker was wrong. Take off the passenger side kick panel off, the ecu is there. There's a code on the back of the ecu, you have to take the mounting bracket off and turn it around. Then there's a short code starts with a number then three letters.
Look up catch codes for ford 4L ecus or ask me here.
If its an ED/XG ecu and an EL timing cover you may have to do a lil improvising but I can help. It could be a later motor as the code on the front is 95DA which sounds like EF/EL, hence the single timing mark which would be TDC.

Also I see your PCV valve hose is not connected, it should be on a hose running to the throttle body.
Let me know how you go, I'm in my shed fixing my window winder. :)

OK your ecu is for a 93 XG auto ute.

That's OK. Now we know.

The base timing for EF/EL is 0 degrees or TDC. On XG base timing is 10 degrees BTDC which you have no timing mark for because some Muppet forgot to change the timing covers over.

What you need really is a timing light that can advance degrees, if you got one or got a mate who's got one, grab it.

Then all you do is get the timing marks lined up, then wind in 10 degrees advance on the timing light, and move the dizzy till the timing marks match up again.

With a normal timing light its a bit harder, but not impossible. The XG's 10 degree advanced mark is 15mm to the left of TDC as you look at the motor.

Now assuming the crank pulleys are the same, make a mark 15mm to the left of your timing marker on the cover and that should be 10 degrees BTDC.

Later you could look for an EL auto ecu and just time it straight up from the normal marker but because your ute has no smartlock it would need a j3 chip to run it.

I would just stick with what you have and make a new timing mark on the timing cover with a white marker.

That should get you running.

No problem mate. I was in the garage tinkering anyway.
As long as you got the dizzy in right at TDC and everything lines up, then do the timing with it in diagnostic mode to 10 degrees BTDC or 15mm to the left as you look at your timing mark,it should run.
Then after you take it out of diagnostic mode the ECU will do the rest.

Just don't forget to hook up that PCV valve on the front top of the rocker cover to the throttle body hose. It's bugging me.
OCD. Lol.
:)

It doesn't want to run probably I think I will pull timing cover /harmonic balancer off and realign and remark the balancer as I don't think that mark is correct ?

that pcv valve is no good and waiting for one to come in the mail this week

Just check your not 180 degrees out mate, its easy to accidently set it up on the exhaust stroke.

I would pop the rocker cover off, make sure No1 is on compression stroke and both rockers should be up. If its on exhaust stroke the exhaust rocker on the left will be down.

Then check your dizzy is the right spot and see if the timing marks line up, bet they don't. I bet the proper timing mark on the balancer will be pointing at about 5minutes past 12. Which is where top dead centre is on an XG.

Actually, I think I know what they have done, the front pulley is XG as it runs V belts not serpentine belts like EF/EL.

Try this before you do anything, and I bet it works. Put the timing with the timing light at 12 o'clock which is roughly on an XG where 10 degrees advanced is.

Just make sure you look on that lower pulley for a slot that is on the inside edge, that's where an XG timing mark on the balancer is. maybe not the one they marked white.

I'm on the right track now. default_smile.png