Server maintenance Read more... ×
Boingk

Boingk's F250 4x4

22 hours ago, Boingk said:

Just rang him. He said it was 30 bucks a seat, so 8x seats is $240. Geez. Maybe I should just do it and then not have to worry about if I decide to blow it or something later on down the line.

I would, but, it's your money.  3 angle valve job, while your at it ??😉

4 hours ago, Outback Jack said:

Go the seats at that price it's good.
3 angle cut on the valve seats is worth the money, makes for a much better flow in and out of the chamber.

Exactly. I know the benefits from the job would be worth it but I'm stretching expenses at this point. I'll see what its worth but honestly it'll probably just get a standard lapping job and be done with it.

One thing I will take my time with is the porting. I have my carbide bit, I have my preferred cordless, I have plenty of cutting fluid (ie degreaser) and I have an esky, a comfy chair, a milk crate and a good speaker system with some tunes. 

My last combo of this exact comp & cam spec was an absolute hoot so with some porting and springs it'll be even better. I also have a proper carburettor this time - the Brawler 650 - so again it should work a bit better than the old 600 Vac I had on the last one. 

The only other thing I'd be looking at is using this combo in something else down the line and going to a 300ci 6cyl setup for the 4WD. They're an engine with an amazing history and I'd love to put some effort into one and see what it can do. We'll see how we go on that front, it'll be a long-term project per the aforementioned espenses limitation.

Cheers - boingk

19 hours ago, Boingk said:

One thing I will take my time with is the porting. I have my carbide bit, I have my preferred cordless, I have plenty of cutting fluid (ie degreaser) and I have an esky, a comfy chair, a milk crate and a good speaker system with some tunes. 

Thats all ya need....👍

18 hours ago, dex said:

Ol mate had a 300 in an Effie with side pipes ,,

sounded unreal the bark that came out of it . 

where can you find a 300 i have never come across one.

I wonder would a crossy alloy head fit on one

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Nah they're a big bore 6, 4" by 4" stroke. They're about 2" longer in the block than a crossy. They will take a 390 FE piston with a rebore apparently. Bore spacing is similar to a small block V8. Cut up LS heads can fit with a bit of work. So sort of like a big block 6

Sent from my CPH1920 using Tapatalk

On 10/16/2020 at 3:36 PM, gerg said:

Cut up LS heads can fit with a bit of work. 

Indeed they can. So can 351C's... and I just happen to have a few. Mind you the LS's would be much easier to work with.

12 hours ago, bear351c said:

[VIDEO]

I saw that! I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't watched, but the output with a standard cam is fairly decent. Aussiespeed do a manifold for them and that'd be the way I would go if I were to do it. The stock head can be worked a bit, plenty of info stateside on it. It's no Barra, but it'd be interesting purely from a 'what can I do with it' point of view. 

Yeah seen the clevo setup, they chopped up 3 4V heads to do it. Not impossible with furnace welding or using a cast iron rod, like that guy who cut and welded 2 x 302 Windsors together plus 4 clevo heads to make a boss V12

Quick update. I spoke to the fellow who's doing my 302C heads, they came up well with no cracks and already have brass valve guides in them. Beauty. The downside is that the valves are shot, they've been previously machined and then used on LPG so are not good to reuse.

I sent him a set of valves from another set of open-chamber 351C heads I have so they should work fine. The new springs and seals are also there, and I've opted to get hardened exhaust seats installed so I won't have to worry about them in the future. He said it'd be for the best as the seats show some signs of wear and after a valve job may end up further recessed.

All in all its going along swimmingly.

47 minutes ago, Boingk said:

He said it'd be for the best as the seats show some signs of wear and after a valve job may end up further recessed.

i think this might have been why my preload was also up the wazoo when i did My clevo.. perhaps the valve heights were all different to original after being installed with ground valves/gas seats etc..  

only just thought about it after reading that.. (some of mine needed shimming, some needed grinding the pedistal. block and heads were surfaced also and the heads werent' original to My block)

Nah mate, perfect. The white does look a bit stark though.

Have you thought about a lift kit

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

On 11/6/2020 at 3:20 PM, CHESTNUTXE said:

Have you thought about a lift kit

Hi mate, no lift kit. These things are pretty tall stright from factory. By the mid 70's Ford was the only manufacturer making 4x4 pickups without a dedicated chassis for them - its just a factory lifted 2wd basically.

On 11/6/2020 at 9:11 PM, SPArKy_Dave said:

What are those wheels called?

I've never seen 8 stud aftermarket wheels like that.

No idea mate. I will find the receipt and let you know if you want.

Also I went and got the nice chrome bumper old mate promised me. Very happy to have this, they're starting to become hard to find and bring decent money.

ACtC-3d0QvRGLYD3UkDBcqKSv98XsKZ8T5vNlzPV

Yeah probably. I did remember he said they weren't made in China though, so hey who knows. I'll find that receipt haha.

Meantime, the latest efforts are focussed on the engine. I got her torn down well, next step is removing her for the bearing, ring and hone job she surely needs. She's dirty inside but is sporting a double row timing chain so there's been some love there at some point.

A big plus is that nothing on this engine seems seized, apart from that one rocker retaining bolt. I'm pretty happy with how its going at this point.

ACtC-3e6L_CD69OlTF6kgO8cNwLTGUG2Irb5s7mH

- boingk