Server maintenance Read more... ×
Boingk

Boingk's F250 4x4

Got her running, first go!

Nice! Purrs pretty sweet, but sounds like one bank of lifters is a bit lazy. The Cleveland Clack strikes again!
is that a 2 barrel carb and manifold
Looks like a 2-barrel flat-top Holley, half of the 4bbl one I ran on mine for a while. They're an update on the Motorcraft 2100/4100 dating back to the 50s. Great carby, but the Holleys were a dead-end. Not as tuneable as the traditional ones. You can still buy them as the "Summit" carb, many swear by them.

Sent from my CPH1920 using Tapatalk

Yep it's the flat top Holley 2bbl, works but in average condition. I'll be replacing it with a 500cfm unit I reconditioned while I wait for my 4bbl manifold so it can take the 650cfm Brawler double pumped I've got left from the XF.

Yeah it's a bit lazy from a long time dormant but I've got new lifters, camshaft, springs, timing and water pump on the way.

I'm also looking into the Wyndendorf lifter bushing kit. Has anyone here installed one themselves?

Thats why it could be a 302 maybe or is it a 4 barrel manifold with 2 barrel carb have a look at cast date or DA code on manifold
Most early 351s were 2 barrel, only XA and early XB GT manuals were 4V, then there was a brief period when XBGT autos and late manuals got the rare Aussie 4-barrel Motorcraft carby intake with 2V ports.

Then XC-XD-XE all got spreadbore ThermoQuads, regardless of 302 or 351

If it was a 2V 351, it would have a K-code on the build plate. Being a truck, I would say that's definitely the case.

3 minutes ago, gerg said:

if it was a 2V 351, it would have a K-code on the build plate. Being a truck, I would say that's definitely the case.

sparkydave said it's from an XB panelvan from the engine number so it probably is a 302 unless been stroked.

sparkydave said it's from an XB panelvan from the engine number so it probably is a 302 unless been stroked.
Ford also offerd a 351c in xb era with tiny 2 barrel carb all these 351s had orange rocker covers not the blue as normal i have had several manifolds off these which are different to normal 2 barrel manifolds

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Ford also offerd a 351c in xb era with tiny 2 barrel carb all these 351s had orange rocker covers not the blue as normal i have had several manifolds off these which are different to normal 2 barrel manifolds

Yeah that was the Email Carter. My XB had that originally, dad reckoned that was the best out of the 3 carbies it had over the years, the others were a 2-barrel Holley (rubbish, caused 2 engine fires) and the Strommy WW (good carby for a 250)

Oops yeah forgot about that... That explains a lot then. Engine code for a 302 2v is "Y".

Yeah that was the Email Carter. My XB had that originally, dad reckoned that was the best out of the 3 carbies it had over the years, the others were a 2-barrel Holley (rubbish, caused 2 engine fires) and the Strommy WW (good carby for a 250)

Ford offerd it as fuel saver on a 351c but really was only marginal,most were on zg fairlanes and f trucks m8 when you take the carby off also take the spacer off and take a pic of the 2 barrel holes the one we are talking about has the holes closed off a tad like a restricktor plate in nazcar

Copy that gents. I'll see what the go is when I pull it off. It leaks like a sieve currently so much rather a rebuilt 500cfm 2bbl that doesn't leak for the meantime.

The one thing I've learnt over the years is to assume nothing until you pull the heads. This could be a 351, a 302, open chambered or closed... who knows. There are enough variables that I'm assuming it's a 351 by the heads alone until I can pull them and confirm what the heads are and what the stroke is.

If the stroke measures up as a 302 I'll probably leave it that way. It'll still work nicely with the mods I have planned but probably give slightly better fuel economy.

- boingk

Copy that gents. I'll see what the go is when I pull it off. It leaks like a sieve currently so much rather a rebuilt 500cfm 2bbl that doesn't leak for the meantime.

The one thing I've learnt over the years is to assume nothing until you pull the heads. This could be a 351, a 302, open chambered or closed... who knows. There are enough variables that I'm assuming it's a 351 by the heads alone until I can pull them and confirm what the heads are and what the stroke is.

If the stroke measures up as a 302 I'll probably leave it that way. It'll still work nicely with the mods I have planned but probably give slightly better fuel economy.

- boingk
Yep nothing wrong with a 02

- boingk

There are ways of telling if the heads are closed chamber 2Vs, it's to do with the scalloping along the front edge where the face meets the block. But if you're pulling it down, it's going to be pretty obvious, plus with a big "302" cast into the crank, you can end all speculation.

In my humble opinion, going 302 won't save any fuel. Clevos just like a drink no matter how much you try and lean it out. The ports are too big on a 302 to have decent velocity for best fuel atomisation.

It's odd that that carby is leaking. One of the best aspects of the Motorcraft/Holley/Summit design is that there are no gaskets below the fuel level except for acc pump. The power valve sits up underneath too, under a little plate similar to the acc pump. I reckon the leak is from a foam float that is no longer bouyant, (causing the float bowl to flood). I had this happen on mine and switched to nylon ones.

It looks like a mix of different era parts?

The auto choke looks disconnected,

it has a post 12/74-onwards (emissions) Oil filler cap.

Having an A/C compressor on an F-truck, is quite uncommon.

The heads should have a 2 or 4, cast into the front upper corner, indicating what they are.

Everything will also have casting date-codes, if you know where to look.

Block, heads, intake manifold,

exhaust manifolds, dizzy, coil, alternator, etc.

4 minutes ago, gerg said:

There are ways of telling if the heads are closed chamber 2Vs, it's to do with the scalloping along the front edge.

It's odd that that carby is leaking. One of the best aspects of the Motorcraft/Holley/Summit design is that there are no gaskets below the fuel level except for acc pump. 

Yep thats where it's leaking from. Also the heads, I'm pretty sure they're the 351 although I know some 302 heads didn't have their standard scalloping.

4 minutes ago, SPArKy_Dave said:

It looks like a mix of different era parts?

Seeing as the block says its from an XB pano all bets are off. Like I said, I have no idea of the previous owner's actions, or the one before him or that guy before that guy.

I dare say that this was someone's project that got laid up. It was from a deceased estate after all.

All I know right now is that it runs and that it needs floors in it. I'll probably do the floors and interior first as then I can actually sit in the thing.

R 1975 Y June, which is unusual as it has the steel dash not the later plastic dash which is in most 75's, 73/74 had the steel dash,

Sido number on the ID plate should be 73613 F250A 4WD C.Cab 3379 mm W/B 3493 kg GVM Cab chassis or 73614 F250A 4WD style side box 3379 mm W/B 3493 kg GVM

#did read a f truck forum post that said the F250 4x4's came from canada which is why the dash is different for a 75,

open chamber heads have 2 low bits with once being longer then the other, Closed chamber has 3 low bits about same size,

vf70Tsqm.jpg

Yeah I did it for explaining different heads for someone on facebook, so could tell what it has when on the engine.
Great work, it will be snapped up throughout the interwebs for sure

8 minutes ago, gerg said:

That's a great photo of the scallops I mentioned, probably the best illustration of the differences

i just watched a video recently of xacoupeguy  (Peter Anderson recommended him) and he was explaining those scallops also. (he's restoring a couple of landaus an EJ holden and an XB sedan currently 

Thanks gents, and top illustration there FORD_MAN! Thanks for the numbers also, I don't doubt that this is a total mismatch - a recabbed 4WD with a V8 thrown in for good measure, perhaps?

I also go by the scallops and it does look to be a 351... of course, I could also have the rare and majestic performance 302 with 351 heads 😄

I'll know for sure once they're off. I'm planning to do similar to what I did with my last build; so resprung and mildly ported 302 heads on a 351 with the Elgin E-907-P camshaft (219@50, 505 lift), plus headers and decent exhaust. I'm weighing up whether to use a generic HEI dizzy or not as I have had good success with them in the past.

Cheers - boingk

Thanks gents, and top illustration there FORD_MAN! Thanks for the numbers also, I don't doubt that this is a total mismatch - a recabbed 4WD with a V8 thrown in for good measure, perhaps?

I also go by the scallops and it does look to be a 351... of course, I could also have the rare and majestic performance 302 with 351 heads 

I'll know for sure once they're off. I'm planning to do similar to what I did with my last build; so resprung and mildly ported 302 heads on a 351 with the Elgin E-907-P camshaft (219@50, 505 lift), plus headers and decent exhaust. I'm weighing up whether to use a generic HEI dizzy or not as I have had good success with them in the past.

Cheers - boingk

Yes i put that cam in my 400 its good guys beefy idle and street manners with nice powerband to 5000 odd