Server maintenance Read more... ×
Dirtyxhute

New Ute

Gday boys, 

bought a new xg and I’m trying to work out which of the utes to sink some money into in terms of beefing up the horses.

will the xg have more room for improvement than the xh ? Or vice versa, and what sort of mods should I be looking at ? 

I was about to put hurricane extractors and a new exhaust set up on the xh, and hoping to pair it with a bigger cam and chip, but I don’t want to waste money I don’t have to here. 

theyre both dual fuel and mechanically they’re holding on for their age. km’s 300,000 for the xg, and 350,000 for the xh. 

am I right in assuming nothing will swap over between the two ? 

cheers boys. 
attached a couple of pics of the new xg

16D25C5C-F9EB-4E16-A0B5-4E56B40125E8.jpeg

I would be torn between the two to be honest. The XG looks better but the XH is mechanically superior in the front end (rack and pinion, E-series suspension). If there was a way of swapping the XG panels onto the XH, I would do that.

I guess it comes down to either looks or driving feel. If you can make the XH look sweet, then I would go that way. 350k vs 300k ain't much in the scheme of things. They're pretty much the same from the windscreen back anyway.

Sent from my CPH1920 using Tapatalk

when i had My first XG, it was on dual fuel, and Jim Mock who was one of the go to tuners for the 4.0 at the time said, if it's on gas, the gas is the restriction. fitting a cam and extractors when not needed will make no difference in my opinion.

(engine is basically the same as an XH, but not sure the extractors would be same due to the difference in firewall etc) 

that XG looks NICE!  if it works properly i'd be going just tidying it up.  either of the utes will be quicker with an XR6 diff (3.45 ratio) but they are getting thin on the ground.. you could get the ratio fitted to the current diff, probably similar in price to some mods mentioned and i think it would be most noticable in performance over a cam/extractors even with LPG. 

MY actual XG XR6 was auto with impco 200(a 225 would be better) and it was quick enough.. probably similar to a modern car like a i30 hyundai etc.  (but obviously able to tow and carry a load) 

if you are willing to ditch the lpg, different story.. or boost it using LPG if you can find a tuner that will deal with old cars.. 

some would say, do a barra swap.. but $400 odd just for the sway bar, then the muck around .. 

if you have the space, keep the XG stock. looks like it will be a tidy cruiser even able to be on club rego if not now, soon.. 

do the XH as a project perhaps.. 

read Thoms 4.0 thread.

I’ve definitely got the space to keep it stock in a carport under a cover. I’ll fish oil the doors and let it sit. The xh is tidy enough but it’s been a work Ute so the differences are pretty clear. Beat up tub, scratched paint all over the show, but no accident and it drives nice. I guess I was just hoping I could make it fun to drive, but keeping it stock feels like a better option after all things mentioned.

once I get the roady on it for clubs I’ll chat with the guys and get a price on removing the gas, and go from there.

Got the new wheels arriving any day now for the xh, maybe that in itself will make me love the thing again. 

How much do you think a Barra swap all up would be ? I’m happy to do the work, but I know nothing so I’ll still be paying someone just to have the privilege of helping if they even let me. 

I have thought about it though, and it would be fun to drive. It probably all comes down to lockdown fucking with my head and being so bored at home. Like in my normal life I like a reliable car, not cop bait. But I still want the xh to sound good, go well, and Turn a few heads for a dirty old falcon. 

2 hours ago, deankdx said:

when i had My first XG, it was on dual fuel, and Jim Mock who was one of the go to tuners for the 4.0 at the time said, if it's on gas, the gas is the restriction. fitting a cam and extractors when not needed will make no difference in my opinion.

(engine is basically the same as an XH, but not sure the extractors would be same due to the difference in firewall etc) 

that XG looks NICE!  if it works properly i'd be going just tidying it up.  either of the utes will be quicker with an XR6 diff (3.45 ratio) but they are getting thin on the ground.. you could get the ratio fitted to the current diff, probably similar in price to some mods mentioned and i think it would be most noticable in performance over a cam/extractors even with LPG. 

MY actual XG XR6 was auto with impco 200(a 225 would be better) and it was quick enough.. probably similar to a modern car like a i30 hyundai etc.  (but obviously able to tow and carry a load) 

if you are willing to ditch the lpg, different story.. or boost it using LPG if you can find a tuner that will deal with old cars.. 

some would say, do a barra swap.. but $400 odd just for the sway bar, then the muck around .. 

if you have the space, keep the XG stock. looks like it will be a tidy cruiser even able to be on club rego if not now, soon.. 

do the XH as a project perhaps.. 

read Thoms 4.0 thread.

What about something like this mate 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MACE-M78-TORQUE-LOCK-LSD-DIFF-FOR-FORD-FALCON-XG-XH-/401486064935

14 minutes ago, Dirtyxhute said:

i haven't looked at other brand LSD parts, but the gear ratio is what will make it quicker off the line.. the XR6 had 3.45 gears in the diff and the normal ones in your XG and XH will be 3.23 or 3.27 most likely.  it's not heaps different.  but it makes a difference.

the LSD will make it grip with 2 wheels instead of spinning one only though. 

16 minutes ago, Dirtyxhute said:

Ok thanks for the info mate ! 

Time to sell them both a buy a bus pass. I don’t have a bloody clue 😂

lucky for you(no idea how old you are)  you can learn ANYTHING you need to on youtube, or forums or facebook groups or other internet based learning.

back when i was playing with junk cars as a teenager, i had to learn from Dads cursing at fixing his shitbox daily(wasn't invited or allowed to help.. be lucky if you could even watch from a distance) 

i learned more from dealing with wrecking yards after breaking our cars.. later deciding buying my own wreck was the better option for parts. 

eg.. 
engine blew up.. wrecker  $500..
transmission Wrecker $300
my first LSD for XE was $400 from a ZL fairlane, and i still needed to buy an XF hand brake cable, because fairlane one was too long. 

i bought an XC fairmont with 250 crossflow (iron head) and C4 trans.. for $350.. drove it home,  swapped the motor and auto into My XD  and sold the rolling XC shell for $50 (these days, the grille and headlights from the XC would be worth $350.. )