marcus

I have a small amount of petrol in my oil, how do I fix this? 86 xf ute

I checked the oil in my xf ute and there is a small amount of petrol, the car has 120k and has been sitting for 18 months. Does anyone know how to fix it?

fuel pumps can leak fuel into the oil.. i THINK.. (not sure on the ford ones, but other makes can do it) @SPArKy_Dave may know if it's possible on the falcon one. 

how do you know it's a "small amount" it will mix in so you'd only be able to smell it or the oil level rise? 

@deankdxMy oil level does not rise noticeably but I can smell it on the dipstick. I was talking to a mate the other day and he said it could be the fuel pump leaking, apparently its really common.  

4 minutes ago, marcus said:

@deankdxMy oil level does not rise noticeably but I can smell it on the dipstick. I was talking to a mate the other day and he said it could be the fuel pump leaking, apparently its really common.  

yeah that's most likely the case in my opinion. 

fix it fast, because not only is a sump full or petrol dangerous.. it's also compromising the oil which will wear the bearings out FAST if it suddenly gets worse.

i'm sure the pump can leak into the engine, i've had it on one car i had, but can't remember if it was a falcon or not

15 minutes ago, marcus said:

@deankdxdo you know what exact pump i need to buy?

@Mr Polson might be able to look it up (works at Repco)  i have a feeling the XF pumps are the same, but it pays to check.. (XE pumps can be different due to a return line in them even though it's the same engine etc) 

[mention=291]deankdx[/mention]do you know what exact pump i need to buy?
This one should do the job - may need to swap the fittings to the one from your current pump.

https://www.repco.com.au/en/parts-service/fuel-ignition-exhaust/fuel-pumps/fuelmiser-fuel-pump-external-mechanical-fpm-008/p/A7063628

3 minutes ago, Mr Polson said:

This one should do the job - may need to swap the fittings to the one from your current pump.

https://www.repco.com.au/en/parts-service/fuel-ignition-exhaust/fuel-pumps/fuelmiser-fuel-pump-external-mechanical-fpm-008/p/A7063628

is that the XF one?  with return line in it?  i thought My last XF didn't have a return line in the pump..  so @marcus should check his to make sure.. see how many hoses are on it

is that the XF one?  with return line in it?  i thought My last XF didn't have a return line in the pump..  so [mention=38603]marcus[/mention] should check his to make sure.. see how many hoses are on it
XF had return from pump, XE had return from carby.

This is the XE style

https://www.repco.com.au/en/parts-service/fuel-ignition-exhaust/fuel-pumps/fuelmiser-fuel-pump-external-mechanical-noglassbowl-fpm-000a/p/A7718853

In my experience, the oil just gets that smell about it (to an extent), especially if doing short trips and in winter. This is due to the fuel not vapourising properly in the cold weather in a cold engine, causing the fuel to stick to the bores and wash down into the oil below the pistons.

Carby cars run a bit richer and can go out of tune over time, so maybe the carby needs looking at. If you take it on a good high-speed run (I'm talking a few hundred km), the oil level might drop a bit. That's the fuel evaporating out of it (not the engine suddenly "using oil" as many seem to think).

Best way to tell if the oil is being diluted excessively is to rub a bit between your fingers. If it feels slimy and smooth, then it's doing its job. If you can feel your fingerprints grinding as you rub them together, then the oil has thinned or broken down, and should be replaced.

Yes mechanical fuel pumps can fail in the diaphragm and pump fuel into the sump, but this doesn't happen very often.

Sent from my CPH1920 using Tapatalk

I checked the oil in my xf ute and there is a small amount of petrol, the car has 120k and has been sitting for 18 months. Does anyone know how to fix it?

Add more petrol.

You no longer have a small amount of petrol in there, you have a large amount.

Thank me later.