Dirtyxhute

Manual box

Gday boys, wondering what the easiest way to convert my xh from auto to manual. 

Its already on the floor; this being said, I’d like to put a turbo on it pushing a few fifths of fuck all  7-8 pound, is it going to be easier and less costly just to find a new motor with a manual box ? It’s currently done 350,000 so it’s tired as is.

If going the turbo route you'd probably be better off sticking with the auto, I've broken plenty of t5's with n/a 4.0, but I used to be really hard on the equipment when I was younger, as far as manual conversion you do need an xh specific pedal box, and console insert tailshaft is the same auto to manual, that's the xh specific parts the rest can be from any e series eb to el, you'll need bellhousing, clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, cable, throw out fork, manual sandwich plate, spigot bearing, clutch cable (probably a good idea to brace the firewall too), manual gearbox loom (or modify the auto loom for your Speedo and reverse lights as well as bypass the neutral safety switch) you can either track down a manual ecu or get a j3 chip so it runs properly after the conversion

Cheers for the info thom,

I actually have also broken an auto and I guess that’s what im trying to avoid.

This being said, how hard is it to get your hands on a good condition xh auto, surely they’re relics now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Dirtyxhute said:

This being said, how hard is it to get your hands on a good condition xh auto, surely they’re relics now

the auto from even an EB to AU will still fit from my understanding, but if you were going turbo you'd probably want to reco one first

might be some differences to swap over, like the AU bell housing has different bolt holes etc

That’s to be expected I guess, good news about the other models fitting !

I’ll take my auto to the mechanic and find out what else is needed and try and work a reco into the budget.

I don’t want a 10 second Ute, just a responsive and fun to drive project, so the 6k+ Barra conversion just doesn’t make sense to me. If anyone has any information on improving my current set up by 100kw or so that would be really helpful.

As Dean said any e series 6 cylinder 4 speed auto will bolt straight in an xh, gearbox for ef series 1 or earlier if you want a dipstick, an au auto will bolt in if you swap your xh/e series bellhousing onto it, the btr gearboxes can be beefed up quite easily with an electronic shift kit, and there are companies that do highstalls and aftermarket valve bodies, the biggest thing with a btr is (especially a performance orientated one) having a decent trans cooler and keeping regular maintenance on them

That’s to be expected I guess, good news about the other models fitting !

I’ll take my auto to the mechanic and find out what else is needed and try and work a reco into the budget.

I don’t want a 10 second Ute, just a responsive and fun to drive project, so the 6k+ Barra conversion just doesn’t make sense to me. If anyone has any information on improving my current set up by 100kw or so that would be really helpful.

A lot of e series stuff is a direct fit for xg/xh but there a a few bits an pieces that are different but most of the major mechanical components interchange

If going a swapped auto, go with an EL or earlier. They had a shallower tooth angle on the planetaries that made them noisier in 1st and 2nd but created less end thrust on the carrier. Later (AU-BA) boxes were quieter but had big issues with this and my ex-brother-in-law had a gearbox fail in his BA XR6 turbs for this exact reason (collapsed planetary thrust bearing).

They went back to the pre-EL gears in the last BTR boxes in BA2-BF before going to the ZF auto in the FG. The auto gearbox bloke explained all this to me as I was picking up the car.

Sent from my CPH1920 using Tapatalk