Server maintenance Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
roKWiz

XD-XH panel van rear sway bar

Been thinking I don't ever recall seeing a rear sway bar for the above model panel vans. Did they make them ? Guess they would be the same as a similar year leaf sprung wagons ?

Anyone know.

54 minutes ago, roKWiz said:

Been thinking I don't ever recall seeing a rear sway bar for the above model panel vans. Did they make them ? Guess they would be the same as a similar year leaf sprung wagons ?

Anyone know.

do you think you need one? i don't

i took one from an XD Ghia sedan, and fitted it to My XD S pack wagon and it was BAD.. made the rear very twitchy, (ideal if you like to drift roundabouts etc) 

i reckon there's a reason they are NOT fitted.  (haven't seen any notes on why not, but from trying it, i wouldn't do it)

Handle nicely most of the time but sometimes when I have the van loaded up I reckon it could do with a little rear sway correction.

I remember I had 2 Holden panel vans with rear sway bars fitted. Both made by Lovells 25mm 1 inch from memory. They also had tramp rods, mind. They handled like slot cars.

Most of my driving is two lane blacktop, twisty country roads at 100km/h and freeway.

Does it have understeer or over steer.?  (Front end wants to go straight ahead, or rear wheels want to overtake the fronts?)  Too stiff rear bar can cause more understeer, in certain circumstances.

Just a little oversteer.  (NO REAR SWAY BAR FITTED)

A rear bar would be a nice add-on IMO.

I've owner/driven Holden panel vans for years in a previous life as a courier driver. Always thought they were better handlers, maybe due to double wishbone front suspension, big sway bars front and back and a full chassis underneath which stiffened them up somewhat.

I think what its doing is allowing the weight of the load to push its arse around the curves more. It handles fine for most part but the local roads here are fast, off cambered and potholed.

Its not really a big problem, just more of a niggle I have with the Ford PV. 

i'd think it's more likely rear steering due to bushes worn on the shackles. 

one of the members on here added a watts link to his XF ute and this could have been why. 

unless the springs have been modified i'd be surprised if it's allowing body roll, 

i've had the tyre roll with weight on my ute(never used light truck rating ones, but they were always 800kg each rated) 

Won't be rear hanger bushes as they are relatively new, both spring packs are in good nick.

Would say more likely tyre quality as there doesn't seem to be much choice these days for 14in wheels. 

I would like to grab some 14 X 7in S pac wheels for the rear if I can get them made or find some.

5 hours ago, roKWiz said:

14 X 7in S pac wheels for the rear if I can get them made or find some.

@BGDAV has a set of Chrome ones. not sure how good the chrome is. but I'm 95% sure they were 14x7" they aren't keepers, but are keeping the car mobile last i saw it.. might be for sale/trade if you ask Dave nicely?