XD Falcon ute

Is it possible to make an xd ute a floor shift from column?

Hi another silly question this xd ute my grandson and i are working on he whats to take the column shift auto out and make it a floor shift is this possible and if so how can we do it cheers and thank you 

Yes, it's possible, been done many times. You will need a transmission hump for a floor shift, maybe a console. The shifter itself, and the linkages to connect the shifter to the transmission.

You can leave the column shift in place, just remove the lever. Make sure you have reversing lights and a neutral safety switch working afterwards. All available on eBay/Gumtree/Ford shops.

Something to keep in mind: If the ute has a bench seat you'd likely have to put a set of buckets in to make it useable. Depending on which state you're in the swap requires a mod plate (because you're changing seating capacity), and in some of those states P-platers can't drive a mod-plated car, even for something as minor as a seat swap.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Im not sure how close the XG and Xd are aligned with gearbox linkages etc being different trans and motor.

Basically i replaced the entire steering column with an adjustable XH column so i didnt have the gear selector on the column present.

I removed all the linkages form the column change from the steering column right down to the box.

The box for column and floor change are the same in the xg so i used an AU fairmont gear selector to actuate the gear select on the trans. I sourced a trans shifter hump and just started cutting the floor in the ute until i had removed enough to get clearance for the shifter to operate without removing to much metal. Screwed in the shifter hump and connected up the linkage.

All up took about 3 hours to complete. Wasnt very hard but everything just fitted which was nice for a change.

23 hours ago, SPArKy_Dave said:

Column Auto, Bench Seat, Rubber floor mat. :)

Yeah I went through that phase, and I even converted a few floor shift manuals to bench seat because it was handy when all I had on the road was one car at a time. Even came in handy on a few nights in the city, back in those days... ahem... you know, helping a damsel or damsels in distress... and I have thought about getting another one but I like having my left elbow on something a bit too much

1 hour ago, gromet88 said:

you know, helping a damsel or damsels in distress... and I have thought about getting another one but I like having my left elbow on something a bit too much

That's why Ford called them CenterFold bench seats!

They have extremely comfy fold-down arm/elbow rests.😎

The cushion/arm rest is also a nice handy grip, for when doing your typical x-series one handed steering -

whilst going around corners at a brisk pace.

I have x5 x-series with bench seat column auto.

XF's have the comfiest bench seats, XG's are a bit firm, and XH's are an in-between.

22 hours ago, SPArKy_Dave said:

That's why Ford called them CenterFold bench seats!

They have extremely comfy fold-down arm/elbow rests.😎

The cushion/arm rest is also a nice handy grip, for when doing your typical x-series one handed steering -

whilst going around corners at a brisk pace.

I have x5 x-series with bench seat column auto.

XF's have the comfiest bench seats, XG's are a bit firm, and XH's are an in-between.

yes.... ‘brisk pace’..... I think I know what you mean, haha.... not from experience of course....

yeah I know but just quite the same.

i reckon I still have a Xd 6 seater out at the farm and maybe a XF 3 seater ute as well that I bought as a farm hack but I can’t remember if it went with the last clean out or not. Haven’t been up there for a while, let alone actively looked for it to be honest.

back in the day many fitted a 3 speed speco floor shifter to there eg xa sedan from 3 on the tree to 3 on the floor,was very popular conversion back then and looked like a top loader set up.

Love the big comfy bench seat. The only thing I don't like much is having a slushbox but you don't see many 3 speed column shifts around anymore.