BBcube

Distributor replacement question

So last time i was picking through parts i thought i'd try to find a new dizzy to pair up to an MSD, eventually to be setup for a EFi conversion.

Anyway i think I've done something stupid (no surprise in automotive for me) and grabbed a XH 4.0 litre distributor, thinking to myself surely the inline6's are all the same, just because there were no XE/XF's available.

Can anyone please tell me if this part no use to me, destined for the bin or are they the same spindle/cog length as the 4.1 xflow?

photos linked, thanks in advance

MVIMG-20200711-014303.jpgMVIMG-20200711-014440.jpg

MVIMG-20200711-014328.jpgMVIMG-20200711-014352.jpg

4 hours ago, CHESTNUTXE said:

i think you can use just the cap n rotor

i'd probably buy a new cap and bypass module for MSD but im open to suggestions here :)

2 hours ago, Ando81 said:

That cap n rotor is the same as the efi cap n rotor on my crossflow. The ignition module on the side looks like an xf unit but I could be wrong.

Looks the same.... that's what i thought., but it was ripped out of an XH. I was referencing pictures of dizzy's from posts I've found here, super useful for me but im still flying blind.

Then the penny dropped that I should check on the lengths/gear size so i don't munch my engine if it somehow fits and shouldn't be used.

Can anyone confirm 4.1 to 4.0 interchangeable dizzy idea?

1 hour ago, BBcube said:

Can anyone confirm 4.1 to 4.0 interchangeable dizzy idea?

they are different in gear and shaft/position of the gear  from My understanding.. i had heard of people fitting the XFLOW Dissy to the OHC(EA to AU) by flipping the gear upside down, but this causes a mesh issue and will chew out teeth i remember reading(it's not quite right)

there'd be dissys available .. the parts from that may be usable as mentioned.. handy to have bits to swap(rule out issues) if needed .. (tfi is probably same) the pick up inside may also be same or at least fit the EFI or EST(unleaded carby) crossflow dizzy

OHC is known for chewing gears from the distributor or aux shaft after changing distributors, bosch made a revised slight bronzed gear to help this. Best is to fit original gear to new dissy,

I modified a EL dissy to fit xflow, removed the std gear & fitted a Crow DG2 xflow dissy gear & drilled the shaft to suit for the roll pin,

It ended up with it not fitting at time of assembly, was sitting about 5mm above block & went with EST, then when changing from EST to XF mag dissy, I realized I had forgot about aligning the oil pump drive when i was fitting the EL dissy. Can also delete the TFi module & change to EST plugs for easier wiring with MSD.

I might put the EL dissy in my xflow on the stand to make sure 2moro.

EL vs XF dimensions

Bjsj2zp.jpg

ED VS new modded EL VS XF

UEXpDi3.jpg