Panko

Stock EFi camshaft

Hi Guys, 

does anyone know, or know where to find the specs of a stock factory EFi crossflow camshaft? 

TIA

Panko 

23 minutes ago, deankdx said:

crow stock a replacement i believe is exact copy (could ring to confirm?)

hmm, didn't copy paste well..
Standard replacement suit EFI 900 - 3400 14678 260 260 197 197 .439" .439" 109

on page 9

https://www.crowcams.com.au/Portals/0/Crow2020/CrowCams2020.pdf?ver=2019-12-18-095023-240

yeah ive looked at that before, but according to a little birdy, this is not correct. a stock factory cam is not the same valve lift on intake and exhaust. im trying to confirm this, and if so, what the actual specs are. 

28 minutes ago, Panko said:

yeah ive looked at that before, but according to a little birdy, this is not correct. a stock factory cam is not the same valve lift on intake and exhaust. im trying to confirm this, and if so, what the actual specs are. 

someone like @ando76 might know, due to playing xflows like a game console

Weird that they measure each cam duration at different lifts for exhaust and inlet and different between each cam as well. Sounds goofy to me. SAE measurement is always at 0.050" and I wonder how these would compare if measured in the accepted way. That carby one looks very tame. Looks like you could wake up a carby engine a tad with an EFI cam.

To calculate their nominated duration (as wacky as it is) you just add the BTDC to the ABDC, etc and add 180 degrees to get total. That might give some kind of semblance to an actual duration figure.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

Both Carby and EFI cams have the same lift = 235thou lobe lift - 406.55thou lift at the valve

Carby = 2 degrees overlap

EFI = 6 degrees overlap

Carby intake duration - 214 degrees

Carby exhaust duration - 218 degrees

EFI intake duration - 224 degrees

EFI exhaust duration - 212 degrees

Carby LSA = 108 degrees

EFI LSA = 109 degrees

Crow cams standard EFI replacement cam, as per Dean's above post -

Lobe lift - 253.76thou lobe lift - 439thou lift at the valve

Intake duration - 260 (264 in old catalogue) degrees

Exhaust duration - 260 (264 in old catalogue) degrees

intake duration at 50thou valve lift - 197 (196 in old catalogue)

exhaust duration at 50thou valve lift - 197 (196 in old catalogue)

LSA = 109 degrees

2016 Crow Cams Crossflow.png

2020 Crow Cams Crossflow.png

16 minutes ago, gerg said:

Looks like you could wake up a carby engine a tad with an EFI cam.

that used to be the recommendation back in the day,  the efi cam seems to wipe lobes more often though(well maybe it was just more noticeable.. plus the genuine ones didn't have a fuel pump lobe(the crow one does)

Both Carby and EFI cams have the same lift = 235thou lobe lift - 406.55thou lift at the valve

EFI = 6 degrees overlap

Carby LSA = 108 degrees

EFI LSA = 109 degrees

LSA = 109 degrees

blockquote>That

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

I can see how a stock crossy could be woken up a lot even with a mild, mid-range cam. The factory cams were very agricultural. That speedway one looks pretty tasty, would give a nice idle.

Ok thanks guys. 

This should help me out. I need them to give to a tuner to get a base tune, then a retune when the new engine and big cam goes in. 

@Mr Polson i have that too, but because its in metric(?) Measurements i didnt know how to compare to the crow cam which is in imperial

14 hours ago, SPArKy_Dave said:

EFI = 6 degrees overlap

Carby LSA = 108 degrees

EFI LSA = 109 degrees

LSA = 109 degrees

2016 Crow Cams Crossflow.png

2020 Crow Cams Crossflow.png

OK im a little confused. 

David's figures on the stock camshaft, is that at 50" or what? 

the figures given here are significantly lower duration than the crow cam's figures, but are higher than crow's duration at .050". 

If im giving cam specs to someone to write a base map onto an ECU for me, what figures am i giving them? when the factory specs David has listed above dont seem to be at .050". 

if i use Gerg's method of calculating the lift from the Ford workshop manual's specs, i get a total intake duration of 272, which is about the same as the crow cam i have fitted to the new engine, which is a 14892, much  bigger than the stock camshaft. 

So i am definitely a bit confused here. 

Tighe Cams std cam (guessing carby) is adv 256°/258° 188°/190°@50 .406"/.411". as per ford manual carby 258°/258° EFi 272°/272°. Camtech also have a 259° 197°@50 435"

Daves numbers sound a bit big for @50, I'd say crow specs would be close enough, or just finish off the new engine & get one tune done :) ,

Likes of Clive cams & Crow cams have a cam profilers & can computer measure a cam, if you have a spare EFi cam or if needed.

16 hours ago, FORD_MAN said:

Tighe Cams std cam (guessing carby) is adv 256°/258° 188°/190°@50 .406"/.411". as per ford manual carby 258°/258° EFi 272°/272°. Camtech also have a 259° 197°@50 435"

Daves numbers sound a bit big for @50, I'd say crow specs would be close enough, or just finish off the new engine & get one tune done :) ,

Likes of Clive cams & Crow cams have a cam profilers & can computer measure a cam, if you have a spare EFi cam or if needed.

The new engine is finished, nearly. just need a fly wheel, harmonic balancer, and get my rocker cover modified to clear the roller rockers. 

The reason im doing it twice, is because im making up a converter box that plugs into the factory van meter plug, that will make converting an injected XF to EL injection plug and play. (excluding the addition of the O2 sensor) 
I want to test my theory that it will all work reliably on an engine that i know is running and reliable, and not have to worry about "testing" the system on a brand new engine. 

*The same converter box can be used for aftermarket ECUs as well, with my future plans to go to Haltech*