Server maintenance Read more... ×
XEghia

Best Disks and pads for an XE?

Without going to full after market Calipers etc what’s the best disks and pads for a street car XE Fairmont with a fair amount of 351 grunt. So that’s front and rear disks and pads. Mine are shot but still stop. Motor is going in soon so need to sort this out. I’ve searched the forum but most posts are old and I’m not sure what’s still available these days.

thanks in advance 

Has a one had any experience with the DBA slotted and the DBA slotted and cross drilled. 
ideally I’d like to stay away from cross drilled due to the warp / crack risk. Slotted and dimpled seem to be the go but can’t find. Am I not looking hard enough or do they not exist?

Cross drilled should be considered race only. You'd be lucky to get a season out of a set. Street discs will be slotted and/or dimpled. I'm surprised that DBA would still sell the cross-drilled ones, unless they stipulate racing purposes only.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

DBA slotted T2s are probably the best rotor for the street.

I wouldn't recommend Bendix ultimate for the street, they need to be warm and used hard to be effective.
Normal Bendix pads should be fine, of Heavy Duty if you don't mind some dust.

Keep searching for the slotted and dimpled rotors for the fronts as they are great, haven't had a problem with them on any of my cars so far and for the rears just go with some nice solid rotors as it usually isn't worth the extra expense to bother with fancy discs on the rear. As for pads I haven't heard anything bad about the ebc greenstuff pads personally so might be worth a look, that entire setup is what I'm planning on getting for my eb when funds allow it. Keep checking the online stores for discounts to save a heap of money too as Sparesbox and others usually have sales on brakes every other couple of weeks.

Mr Polson is on it.
Exactly what he said. I've raced tarmac a few times on DBA T2's Slotted only, with bendex ult pads. The pads ended up getting cooked but rotors survived, so they well over 550deg C. and i've swapped to a higher temp compound pad for now.
For street use. Standard bendex are easily available, and good reliable quality. You dont need ultimates or special compounds unless your racing.

Do not get crossed drilled rotors. They are for looks only.  Cross drilling atcually reduces the effectivness of the rotor as it lowers thermal mass. It also create failure points making the rotor more prone to flying to bits on the track. 

DB1075GCT for fronts (if Girlock caliper), in standard Bendix. Swap GCT for HD for heavy duty.

DB1045GCT if it's got the PBR calipers.

DB1078GCT for the rears. Bendix only do the rears in GCT option.

I ran HD Bendix pads on the front of my FG when I got it, and found them to be rather dusty. Both my XFs have GCTs and pull up pretty comparably (minus the 30 years difference). GCTs are definitely less dusty than the HDs, and are also cheaper.

A minor upgrade you if you can modify a hq caliper to fit they have a 1/8th' bigger piston, the hq racers used a falcon rotor with a hq caliper with reasonable results