Aussieyobbo16

engine swap.

Looking to put a healthier low ks motor into the xg. Can I use any sohc motor with relative ease or is there a lot of difference in wiring and ecu. Likely looking at ef/el but possibly also au. Or would be better with just xg of eb/Ed

6 minutes ago, SPArKy_Dave said:

Have you done a compression check on your current engine?

Failing sensors, injectors etc, can also cause a loss in power.

Yeah ive done a compression check. Havnt really checked any sensors. But there's a lot else wrong with the current one. 

if you want to read a LOT... but learn a LOT.. this thread below is all you'll need probably.

if you ask Me, the AU is too hard into XG due to the alloy sump.. (mate of mine did it, paid $400 for a TUFF MOUNTS Barra conversion sway bar..) 

then you still have to do the same mods as for EF/EF which is either use the serpentine belt setup or convert it to the V belts (EF onwards water pump outlet is smaller, so you need a custom joint in your radiator hose for that.. 

if you get an EB or ED (or even EA if they still exist.. 3.9,  3.9 was also in series 1 EB, which My brother thrashed the shit out of one to 400,000km and never had any issues other than a head gasket and dissy worn) 

if you do a compression test, and it's fine.. i'd consider not changing it.. unless it has worn bearings and other problems. 

depends on the budget also..  

53 minutes ago, Aussieyobbo16 said:

Yeah ive done a compression check. Havnt really checked any sensors. But there's a lot else wrong with the current one. 

What were the compression numbers?