Free.51

Thermoquad

Its a piston that sits next to the hole where the thread goes that hold the air cleaner lid on. It has a little metal cover tthat is held in with a tiny flat head screw, anyway just took the car for a spin & ive definitely fucked it cos it wont open the secondaries & when you try off the trottle on the carb the piston tries to go up through that little metal cover so im guessing it should be sitting (the piston) abit lower than the cover so when you get full throttle the piston just touches the cover. Any ideas how to fix this now?

Aaaah, yes you definitely need that, it's the T-bar that hold the needles. One of the mysteries of tuning a TQ. Could just use a little triangle of steel, and a small screw to hold it in. 

TQ exploded view 001

Just about to swap parts over & stuck a fine blade screw driver on my screw which i did yesterday but didn't seem to do anything which is what made me think i had lost it & now the screw is back again hahahahahahahahahaha i must have been having a shit day yesterday. What a waste of bloody time money & effort. Oh well ill keep this other thermoquad as a spare or maybe sell it later onb32cdf8c8899d3371aaa6c2ef8e3e3bb.jpg

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Anyway i took her for a spin an she was bogging down on take off so turned the screw in once & made no difference so turned it out twice & got it much better then turned it back a qtr more & she feels really good now not hesitating & bogging down on takeoff. So what have i learnt today? Dont be a fkn idiot & go out spending money on things first before fully checking everthing first & have a break & start fresh the nxt day with a clear head haha

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I'd love to have a play with one of these one day, sadly they're getting pretty thin on the ground now. Mine was beyond salvage but I did end up getting the modern version: a Street Demon. They're basically a mongrel version of a Thermoqad using a few Holley parts, copying a few Edelbrock ideas and some Rochester bits thrown in too. But I do like the fact that TQs have a 3-step needle in them. Mine only has 2, power and cruise. Yours has an extra step for economy.

That t-bar you were tinkering with is effectively a power valve but it has a mechanical linkage to a throttle-operated cam down inside the carby. Moving the screw up or down is changing the point at which it mechanically takes over richening the mixture, over and above whatever engine vacuum is doing.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

They were a mystery carby for me, too. Early days in the FC I had to remove it, (LPG) and never put it back, but it ran better than the 600 Holley I put on there. Overhauled a couple now, and started to get love for them. Good enough for Clevo and Hemi guys, good enough for me.  😁

People get scared of anything that's not a Holley but carbies all work on the same principle and have very similar circuits. It's just that different brands go about things in different ways to try and achieve the same thing.

These were an emissions carby so a lot of the fittings and gadgets hanging off them weren't directly related to how well your car went with them. I like a lot of things about these that make the Holleys look a bit agricultural. The primary metering circuit is far superior, and the spreadbore design is ideal for a street engine. You could have these on a 302 standard, at 780 CFM or whatever they were and they would run sweet, try bolting on a Holley of that size to that engine and watch the fuel gauge go down as your speedo goes up

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

Yeah, watched most of his stuff, needs to get back into the bikes and XC GXL build. He rebuilt the TQ (to his usual high standard) but hasn't installed and tuned it yet. Waiting to see if he does.

On 6/12/2020 at 3:31 PM, deankdx said:

Peter Anderson did a full teardown and rebuild on the thermoquad, might be worth a watch. 

Awesome Dean ill have a look at that, cheers👍