Server maintenance Read more... ×
Craig

XE Headlights

So, the XE is almost back on the road.. tyres and headlights for rego and we're good to go :)

The headlights had this weird problem where they'd run for a bit, then turn off, then run for a bit, and turn off and so-on. After checking here and going through the circuit i couldn't find anything really wrong and changed out the circuit breaker for a standard 25A fuse and voila the problem went away. Put the CB back in and the issue returns.

the offending part looks like this:

https://imgur.com/a/oAIf11q

Reading the schematics, it would appear it's the same item as used for the power window circuit too (if they're fitted - mine's a GL with some options so no power windows for me).

Anyone got any ideas on where to get one, the usual parts stores don't seem to have any idea.

Cheers,

Circuit breaker is definitely the issue.
They look slightly different these days but should be on the shelf at most auto stores (or at least most Repcos).

Link is for a 25A one which doesn't seem very common as it's warehouse stock only, but 20A and 30A are readily available.

https://www.repco.com.au/en/globes-batteries-electrical/electrical-accessories/fuses-circuit-breakers/narva-circuit-breaker-auto-reset-25a-1-pce/p/A9263889

1 hour ago, Craig said:

the offending part looks like this:

dT0q5eP.jpg

i've never had to change one, what wattage globes do you have fitted? might be an issue with 100/90 globes, which are only going to melt the globe holders not go any brigher..

60/55 globes are whats fitted, and if the reflectors aren't rooted then they'll be plenty bright enough.. the plastic adjusters often broken in XE lights, i think rare spares have them, (maybe listed as VH commodore headlight clips? not 100% on that, but got a feeling the reflector might also be the same.. been over 15yrs since i touched XE lights)

i've never had to change one, what wattage globes do you have fitted? might be an issue with 100/90 globes, which are only going to melt the globe holders not go any brigher..

My wagon had the same issue when I first got it with the high beams, turn them on and after 15 or so seconds it'd lose power to all lights until the circuit breaker reset. That only had standard 60/55 globes. Changed it out for one from a parts car and it's been fine since. The one I pulled out was pretty rusty and corroded looking on the outside, so couldn't have been to great internally.

2 hours ago, deankdx said:

60/55 globes are whats fitted, and if the reflectors aren't rooted then they'll be plenty bright enough.. the plastic adjusters often broken in XE lights, i think rare spares have them, (maybe listed as VH commodore headlight clips? not 100% on that, but got a feeling the reflector might also be the same.. been over 15yrs since i touched XE lights)

They're 60/55's even put new globes in to make sure it wasn't overloading.

37 minutes ago, Mr Polson said:

My wagon had the same issue when I first got it with the high beams, turn them on and after 15 or so seconds it'd lose power to all lights until the circuit breaker reset. That only had standard 60/55 globes. Changed it out for one from a parts car and it's been fine since. The one I pulled out was pretty rusty and corroded looking on the outside, so couldn't have been to great internally.

Sounds exactly like my issue, except it occurred on low beam.

I can't remember, but there's either two circuit breakers, one for low one for high, or the main power for the headlights runs through it - and the same issue can occur on either low or high beam.

20 minutes ago, Mr Polson said:
29 minutes ago, Craig said:

I can't remember, but there's either two circuit breakers, one for low one for high, or the main power for the headlights runs through it - and the same issue can occur on either low or high beam.

It's the one circuit breaker for both in mine. The second circuit  breaker (in the wiring diagrams) and the blank spot in the fusebox under the dash is for the power windows.

I'll check out the link to the part and see if I can make it fit in, I put a 25A glass fuse in there for testing/troubleshooting purposes and it can stay there at the moment so the lights all work for pink slip, but i'd like to put it back the way it is supposed to be.

26 minutes ago, bear351c said:

Yeah, I ran 100/90W in my XD, melted the headlight switch in the dash.  Needs another relay if you get them. 

not good for the chrome headlight coating either, especially on plastic reflectors like XF had

It's the one circuit breaker for both in mine. The second circuit  breaker (in the wiring diagrams) and the blank spot in the fusebox under the dash is for the power windows.

I'll check out the link to the part and see if I can make it fit in, I put a 25A glass fuse in there for testing/troubleshooting purposes and it can stay there at the moment so the lights all work for pink slip, but i'd like to put it back the way it is supposed to be.

If you have a close look on the original it may have the amperage engraved on it. Alternatively@SPArKy_Dave probably knows it off the top of his head too.

Make sure if you get a new one that it's auto reset not manual. Otherwise if it goes off again for any reason you'd have to stop and reset it to get the lights working as opposed to it cooling down and working again by itself.

32 minutes ago, Mr Polson said:

If you have a close look on the original it may have the amperage engraved on it. Alternatively@SPArKy_Dave probably knows it off the top of his head too.

Make sure if you get a new one that it's auto reset not manual. Otherwise if it goes off again for any reason you'd have to stop and reset it to get the lights working as opposed to it cooling down and working again by itself.

It's a 25A unit. I'll hit up my local repco during the week and see how it goes from there.

XD/XE really need their own harness with a relay because the interior switch is directly connected to the headlights and the wiring was a joke from ford, the voltage drop is insane, so I would wire the headlights with a relay straight into the battery  and only use the original harness to trigger the relay. You will be amazed at the brightness of the original lights if they are in decent condition