purejake

Fuel Pump Relay Issue?

Hiya guys, Recently got a XG Ford Falcon Panelvan, was running smoothly, gave the engine bay a rinse so didn’t work for an evening but has been working for the last few days even though it sounded like it took longer to fire up every time, and today it didn’t fire up at all. I removed the old fuel filter which was full of dirt and grit and put a new one in there still didn’t fire up, took the new one off again to check if fuel was going into it which it wasn't, still bone dry. So my theory is that the fuel pump relay is fried, i bought a new relay but unsure where its located. Was just interested in your theories and if i'm correct whereabout the relay is.

Cheers fellers, Jake

10 hours ago, SPArKy_Dave said:

Jumper the relay, to provide power to the pump - see if it's a bad pump, or relay.

From memory, the FP relay is located top RH side of engine bay.

Thanks dave, are we sure its top right hand side thats where the coolant reservoir is

1 hour ago, purejake said:

Thanks dave, are we sure its top right hand side thats where the coolant reservoir is

coolant reservoir is on the left(passenger side) of the car.. above the left front wheel 

there are 2 relays near the brake booster on the inner guard, one is grey i think(injector relay?) , one is green (fuel pump relay)

from memory there's a "PUSH" text on the holder, that if you are strong enough you can press it and the relay will release.. (its' in a tight spot to get your hands in) 

4 hours ago, deankdx said:

coolant reservoir is on the left(passenger side) of the car.. above the left front wheel 

there are 2 relays near the brake booster on the inner guard, one is grey i think(injector relay?) , one is green (fuel pump relay)

from memory there's a "PUSH" text on the holder, that if you are strong enough you can press it and the relay will release.. (its' in a tight spot to get your hands in) 

Yeah cheers got to it and jumped it with a bit of cable, heard the solenoid go but fuel pumps not turning and making no noise, so reckon theres something jamming the fuel pump or its just straight up broken

35 minutes ago, purejake said:

Yeah cheers got to it and jumped it with a bit of cable, heard the solenoid go but fuel pumps not turning and making no noise, so reckon theres something jamming the fuel pump or its just straight up broken

bash the fuel pump/tank .. sometimes they can kick into life again.. but if it does, don't assume it's good to go forever again. the RACV dude that got My Dads car going said they are good for about 100,000km and then it's an unknown how long they'll last after that.. but one thing, if they have been run out of fuel they die quicker.. and can be noisy after.

2 minutes ago, deankdx said:

bash the fuel pump/tank .. sometimes they can kick into life again.. but if it does, don't assume it's good to go forever again. the RACV dude that got My Dads car going said they are good for about 100,000km and then it's an unknown how long they'll last after that.. but one thing, if they have been run out of fuel they die quicker.. and can be noisy after.

yeah imma have my mechanic have a sus tomorrow so might just have a new one put in or clean out this one and get it running again

On 6/7/2020 at 6:49 PM, purejake said:

Hiya guys, Recently got a XG Ford Falcon Panelvan, was running smoothly, gave the engine bay a rinse so didn’t work for an evening but has been working for the last few days even though it sounded like it took longer to fire up every time, and today it didn’t fire up at all. I removed the old fuel filter which was full of dirt and grit and put a new one in there still didn’t fire up, took the new one off again to check if fuel was going into it which it wasn't, still bone dry. So my theory is that the fuel pump relay is fried, i bought a new relay but unsure where its located. Was just interested in your theories and if i'm correct whereabout the relay is.

Cheers fellers, Jake

Finishing sentiment to this saga there was a killswitch for the fuel pump I accidentally hit.

1 hour ago, purejake said:

Finishing sentiment to this saga there was a killswitch for the fuel pump I accidentally hit.

it's an effective anti theft..  that reminds me, i found an alarm switch in My gemini once and never looked at it again.. previous owner didn't mention it was there either.. wonder if His Grandfather had it fitted ?(was inherited one family owner when i bought it)