Server maintenance Read more... ×
Searley

XH Longreach Ute 1999,Snart Lok,etc

One thing to check, on a lpg converted car they tap into the injector wiring to shut them off when the system is on gas, sometimes the connection is dodgy or breaks, if you don't ever intend to run the car on lpg disconnect the wiring to the lpg lockoff and join the wires together, it Will bypass the log system and get the injectors firing no matter where the lpg switch is set

Ok Thanks deankdx.When it was running real good after warming it up on petrol I would stop and change over to Gas LPG.No issues at all but some time later starting on Gas was difficult as it seemed the starter was trying to overcome a Compression problem.This was just before the Head Gasket blew so it might have been Coolant getting in the cylinder.I disconnected the Gas lines so I'll connect them and see what Happens.Anyway if I don't have any success with XH and I have to send it somewhere I still would like to keep the motor & trans & radiator. Now question can the SOHC  be fitted in a 2005 RTV Ute engine bay? It looks sort of similiar.Anyway enjoy your day I'll be workin on a car outside in the Drizzle!Talk about learning about cars!

8 hours ago, Thom said:

One thing to check, on a lpg converted car they tap into the injector wiring to shut them off when the system is on gas, sometimes the connection is dodgy or breaks, if you don't ever intend to run the car on lpg disconnect the wiring to the lpg lockoff and join the wires together, it Will bypass the log system and get the injectors firing no matter where the lpg switch is set

Hi Thom,Another Big Thanks for that.So Much Knowledge and A Few New Clues Everyday! My Cup Runneth Over Hope!

yeah i've had the compression issue with head gasket gone, nothing to do with LPG.. 

if the gas converter ever froze up if it was started on lpg but worked fine if warmed on petrol, the converter needs cleaning internally.. you can "SIMULATE" the warm up on petrol, by tipping hot water over the converter BEFORE start up.. this softens the gummy tar like crap that holds one of the valves open when they needs cleaning, and prevents it "flooding " on gas it should just fire up and run normally..

this is still only the gas side of things due to no injectors ... but would get it driving for a storage move which is half your battle at the moment

as for fitting a single cam in a BA onwards? the sump bowl changed at some point.. .think 2005 would be same as the early ones.. but i would assume there'd be HEAPS of other reasons NOT to do it.. 

1 minute ago, Searley said:

Hi Thom,Another Big Thanks for that.So Much Knowledge and A Few New Clues Everyday! My Cup Runneth Over Hope!

Ok another thing,this wireing connection is that the flip switch on the dash for you to choose Gas or Petrol or that solenoid near the Gas mixer under the bonnet?

3 minutes ago, deankdx said:

yeah i've had the compression issue with head gasket gone, nothing to do with LPG.. 

if the gas converter ever froze up if it was started on lpg but worked fine if warmed on petrol, the converter needs cleaning internally.. you can "SIMULATE" the warm up on petrol, by tipping hot water over the converter BEFORE start up.. this softens the gummy tar like crap that holds one of the valves open when they needs cleaning, and prevents it "flooding " on gas it should just fire up and run normally..

this is still only the gas side of things due to no injectors ... but would get it driving for a storage move which is half your battle at the moment

as for fitting a single cam in a BA onwards? the sump bowl changed at some point.. .think 2005 would be same as the early ones.. but i would assume there'd be HEAPS of other reasons NOT to do it.. 

Yeah Mate,like imaginative ideas are easy to build inside the skull But Reality is when you find out What You Don't Know and Later Did'nt Need To Learn! 

Hello Fordys,I had no success today.I opened up the Gas valve from the tank(3/4 full) and from the Gas Bowl/mixer unit in front of the brake booster I opened up a screw valve open,I poured 4 hot jugs of boiling water over that Gas Bowl slowly,it turned over but not a sound of fireing and after about 6 attempts it would hesitate or struggle to turn over.When I flick the flip button to change from petrol to Gas the Green dot lights turn on and show its about 3/4 full.I tried it on petrol again and joined these 2 wires that were on a solenoid looking thing on the Gas Bowl mixer an sprayed some petrol in the intake but no success there.I read about the Smartlok System and went thru the procedures but nothing there either.I noticed on the Radio display it says "ERrr" which must mean Error.Then after leaveing it on for 1/2 hour that displays "CODE". Now what do people do if if they take out the old cassette tape and instal a CD player or better? I suppose if you pulled the whole radio system out the Smartlok is still in those other Boxes.I'm not concerned about car security so much as getting the thing going!I've ot a box of regulators I got from U-Pull-It,I might try some from the RTV .My mechanic mate seemed reluctant to bring his potable scanner around saying we should'nt need it. If I ot a mobile mechanic with scanner would that be a sure Bet?

Start simple -

use a noid light (or any 12v test light) and check for injector pulse whilst cranking.

Take the fuel line off at the fuel rail,

to see if the in-tank fuel pump is working while cranking.

Check for spark while cranking.

From what I can tell, there still isn't clear direction, to track down the fault.

Yes Your Dead Right SPArKy_Dave,What you just said nailed it I'm wandering around in Fords No-Go La-La Land! Gettin beaten down and frustrated.But If I follow that path you just said @ least we can verify something and then find the next step.I went out to buy a globe that looked like the one in the link someone sent me and the LED globe looked the same But was a 240 volts,That can't be right.Anyway I got plenty of Test Lights.I mean it used to start easy and run real good.It can crank like no-tomorrow.I'll do what you said Tomorrow and Write things down.Thank-you Sir!

23 hours ago, SPArKy_Dave said:

Start simple -

use a noid light (or any 12v test light) and check for injector pulse whilst cranking.

Take the fuel line off at the fuel rail,

to see if the in-tank fuel pump is working while cranking.

Check for spark while cranking.

From what I can tell, there still isn't clear direction, to track down the fault.

HiSPArKy_Dave,Well I've got some sort of good News.I pulled out the plugs and plugged them back into their boots to rest on the rocker box.pulled out some injector plugs and fitted some wires into - & +.I had the ignition already on and when I connected the Test light wires I heard some solenoids clicking from the rear of the inlet manifold but loud clicks then it stopped.Ok Open the gland fitting on the fuel rail inlet,Crank her over,Every Plug Sparking and the Test light showed Red Flashing pulses on every injector and with Fuel comeing out like a small fire hose! So does that mean the injectore are Gummed up? Like as I said the last time it started and was going it ran ok and then it started smokeing real bad until I turned it off.The fuel level was low and could have been 2 years old. My mechanic mate said unleaded fuel can go off and bad.Anyway where do I go from here?Thanks Everybody,Feels Great to be Moveing ahead.

Could quite possibly be stuck injectors?

You'd need to remove the fuel rail with everything connected, and see if they spray fuel whilst cranking.

For the test, you'd need to put the end of all the injectors, in small containers, or ziplock bags or similar.

If the LPG system is still safe and in good order, I'd try running it on that?

LPG doesn't generally go off over time.

10 minutes ago, SPArKy_Dave said:

Could quite possibly be stuck injectors?

You'd need to remove the fuel rail with everything connected, and see if they spray fuel whilst cranking.

For the test, you'd need to put the end of all the injectors, in small containers, or ziplock bags or similar.

If the LPG system is still safe and in good order, I'd try running it on that?

LPG doesn't generally go off over time.

Anyway there was a Funny story today I should tell.Last night while reading the Ford Owners manual about the Radio code and Smartlok I see a 4 digit code the previous owner has written in.Bewdy I don't have to phone a Ford Dealer and ask for it.Some non expert told me it was the last 4 numbers of the VIN number.Anyway I turned on to Acc,the radio display went to "Err" I waited 1/2 Hour and it said "Code" I punched in the 4 numbers and straight away I heard the quite noticeable Whirring & Clicking noise comeing from the ECU Unit while the radio display was doing a circular dance round and around.I waited for 15 mins thinking that "Bewdy" the ECU is Re-Programming and Gearing Up.It still did'nt start.It was still Clicking & Whirling I tapped the ECU Nothing So I sat in the passenger seat and listen and felt it.It was'nt comeing from the ECU But the LHS loudspeaker the radio was trying to find a channel withe ariel down.Lucky I was in a Good mood and did'nt have a hammer and bash the ECU.!

5 minutes ago, Searley said:

Anyway there was a Funny story today I should tell.Last night while reading the Ford Owners manual about the Radio code and Smartlok I see a 4 digit code the previous owner has written in.Bewdy I don't have to phone a Ford Dealer and ask for it.Some non expert told me it was the last 4 numbers of the VIN number.Anyway I turned on to Acc,the radio display went to "Err" I waited 1/2 Hour and it said "Code" I punched in the 4 numbers and straight away I heard the quite noticeable Whirring & Clicking noise comeing from the ECU Unit while the radio display was doing a circular dance round and around.I waited for 15 mins thinking that "Bewdy" the ECU is Re-Programming and Gearing Up.It still did'nt start.It was still Clicking & Whirling I tapped the ECU Nothing So I sat in the passenger seat and listen and felt it.It was'nt comeing from the ECU But the LHS loudspeaker the radio was trying to find a channel withe ariel down.Lucky I was in a Good mood and did'nt have a hammer and bash the ECU.!

I tried starting it on GAS the otherday but No-o.When this problem first occurred I did undo the inlet manifold and tried cranking but from memory I did'nt see any fuel squirting out.Should it be dramatically noticeable? It sort of looked like it was trying to dribble out.How do fix that soak them in a solvent and blow them with compressed air? Or $Buy new ones.

15 minutes ago, deankdx said:

i've had LPG cars that sat for 10yrs... fire up no issue.. 

The gas tank is 3/4 full and everything is is pretty good order but it does'nt wanna go on Gas.Anyway I've been reading about cleaning and repairing fuel injectors.I'll take off the inlet manifold tomorrow and see what happens,Do an injector clean or buy new ones.At least I'm moveing forward.Talk about learning about cars but thats a good thing!

8 hours ago, SPArKy_Dave said:

Probably take the injectors out and have them cleaned, if they're all blocked up.

Sitting them in solvent may have limited success, but won't clean them properly.

Cheers Mate Moveing Forward Not Sideways!

Hello Fantastic "First On Race' Day Lovers,Searley here and am Pleased to report that the XH Fired up like a Good Old Friend ringing on your doorbell.I did what SPArKy_Dave said like pulled out the injector rail with injectors,spark plugs out so it turned over easy and all injectors Squirted a whole better than some other time.I dis-connected all wires from the LPG Bowl  put injectors back in tightened the works and turned the Key and like 1st Pop away she went.I tested it 4 times So I'm still mysteriously baffled.I did however leave the ignition on Acc for about 2 hours so to help the Smartlok reprogram itself just in case it would help,Still don't know But I nearly Gave Up and was Goanna call it Quits!So now I can drive and move it .My brother in law whose got a car yard was saying he knows a Ford Wrecking yard that would give me a $100.00 And my sister was goanna put in an Extra $100 if I did.A Big  Thank-You for all the Help and Support No More "Fxi Or Repair Daily" from here.

39 minutes ago, hendrixhc said:

How much you want for the diff? 😏

Nah Sorry No Sale But I know where there is another Longreach been sitting in a Scrap yard @ @Port Elliot for years.I'm sure it would have to have an LSD Coz its a Longreach is that right? Anyway I can go and Ask the wrecking yard next door or the Chap that runs the Caravan & Boat storage place.Its been sitting there for Donkeys and when I needed a Left Hand Front Side Guard I was directed there and it too had a missing L.H.S Guard Gone,It sits amongst old earthmoveing and agricultural Equipment.I know a bloke in Goolwa who has a small towtruck with a Hi-Ab  Crane that only charges $50.00 to pu & tow a car from Goolwa to Victor Harbor. 

1 minute ago, hendrixhc said:

Should have a 327 lsd if its a longreach i believe. i would be interesred!

Ok Mate I'll go and Enquire for you.Do you just want the Diff or the whole car or diff and other parts? It might be interesting!

21 hours ago, hendrixhc said:

Just diff with calipers, possibly tailshaft for yoke and handbrake cable.

Hello Mr. hendrixhc,I found that White Ford Longreach Ute.Its in a Type of scrap cars and cranes & industrial & agriculture machinery type of cemetry.The wheels are still on it.There was a sign @ the end of the fence with 'total towing'  mob 0408824939 written on a piece of plywood with white finger paint mob number written  twice with total towing.The chap next door who runs Pt.Elliot Mechanical (aka the old Pt.Elliot Wreckers) said there's a Chap who comes in now and then and thinks he might have a car yard sales somewhere in Adelaide(the big smoke),He himself was showing interest in the cranes he's got there coz they still work.He said he thinks the Longreach was the owners personal @ one time.I looked up Total Towing Adelaide and found it in the Yellow pages @ 11 York St.Wingfield.So anyway I have'nt Phoned him and thats all I could find out.Hope this Helps.If you need a hand with getting stuff off I would help out.I have tools and a gas propane hose and torch for heat and jack stands. My trolley jacks are only smaller car types not big truck types.I would'nt mind a Squiz @ it either.Maybe its got a Nice dash mat or a better bench seat than mine,I could use some decent headlights etc. Its been there for  least 10 years maybe 15.Ok my  mob is 0487831133 but not after 4:00 pm  Thanks Searley