Server maintenance Read more... ×
Searley

XH Longreach Ute 1999,Snart Lok,etc

Hello Everybody,Searley here and back with the XH Ute Blues,I've fitted a new dizzy and new coil,I've banged and tapped the ECU & BCM  etc checked relays & fuses and it still won't start,not even fire with ether. I bumped into a Mech mate @ the shop and he said have I checked the wires on the battery terminal coz he experienced an issue with a car not starting and with the numerous takeing out the battery and fitting it back in a fine wire attached to the positive lug had broken off and fallen down where you could'nt see it When he found it and wired it up Broomm! away she went coz it was the power for the injectors.I'll find out tomorrowApart from that I'm prepared to take off the injectors etc and convert it to a Carby system,Get rid of th Computers and smart-lok.Question would I have to buy a Custom manifold or does the intake manifold from a carby X-Flow fit.Any suggestions and ideas welcome.Thanks.

Start simple -

check the injectors with a Noid Light - watch to see if the light flashes while cranking.

If it flashes, re-connect injector,

and spray starter fluid down intake pipe under air-filter.

See if it starts/coughs/splutters etc.

You need something like the above - to provide a bit of direction, as to the location of the fault.

@2redrovers had an issue on his AU recently .. was not cranking due to wire off at the battery(hidden by a cover)

i'd call a mobile mechanic.. will have it diagnosed in minutes probably. for $150 odd.

converting to carby would be DIFFICULT, especially if it's auto. ..  if it has ignition..(you'd need this for a carby anyway.). then it's fuel related, fuel pump, relay, etc.. it should fire with fuel sprayed in intake

103126965_275233137011622_88563819125940

Yep, start super simple and check out the battery cables. I don't know how long it was like that but thankfully it decided to not work at home instead of randomly at the shops or even in traffic. Came loose with the action of jump starting the disco that morning and didn't start when I got back home that night. Turned the key and everything was normal except the starter just clunked the solenoid, dash normal, fuel pump primed, same effect in park/neutral, just a slower click or clunk of the solenoid operating and holding position but no cranking at all. Changed the starter for a spare and got the same thing. Only found the wires when Dean helped me diagnose the problem and bumped the terminal cover to find that photo above. Cleaned everything up and fitted the cables back properly. Fired straight up and quieter with the different starter motor

Good Morning Dean and Mr.2redrovers, Ok I'll try that and let you know the Results tonight.Its just the situation I'm in is I had the XH in a mates shed for nearly 2 years and he bought a new car and I got it out.I live in a cabin in a caravan park that does have a garage with a roller door that has another car(mitsubishi cordia gsr turbo unmolested) and when I got the Xh towed in there and parked it outside my cabin he management voiced how I've got 3 cars there and 2 parked outside is a No=No longterm .I've got 2 weeks to get it going and get it in the garage.I can understand their point of view as a Caravan Park is'nt very attractive with Non=working Fords parked everywhere.The pity is that the XH was owned by a wealthy station owner upnorth who passed away.His nephew I think who sold me the car said he loved that car and every 5,000 kms he would spend $3000 to $4000 onserviceing it and replace all fluids,belts plugs filters,shockies etc.According to the book I believe he was telling the truth.The Gitsham Aluminum Bullbar cost $3000.00,On Gas(which I don't use) tub-liner and all the options.If I cant get it going and it has to go er I don't wanna give to "You Pull Yourself Wreckers"! Take a Real Deep Breath and Hope for The Best.Have a Great Happy Rewarding Day,Searley.

4 minutes ago, Searley said:

On Gas(which I don't use)

have you tried it on gas? depending what system is(impco would not need fuel system to work) it may actually just fire up if it's injector related .

some other gas systems need it to start on petrol(and it switches to gas after a few seconds).. which would probably mean not starting on gas either

Now thats a thought! Good idea.I cleaned the battery terminals and sandpapered everything,sprayed on elec contact spray,there were no broken or loose wires etc and when turned over it did fire up a few times and wanted to go but did'nt.I sprayed Hi-Octane petrol in the intake manifold with butterfly open and this time nothing happenned.Now tell me from my experience the air filter and air box have to be fitted coz otherwise it won't go if you have an unrestricted open air box.Could that be right.Carbys work better without the aircleaner filter.Anyway I'll get my Big Mechanic Mate to come over with his Scanner tool.Have a Good Night,S.

35 minutes ago, Searley said:

from my experience the air filter and air box have to be fitted coz otherwise it won't go

i don't think it would need the the air box fitted. 

if it's only firing up then stalling, try holding the key on crank a bit longer to see if it runs with the key on cranking.. (might be ignition switch issue even?)

this might have something to do with the fuel pump relay even? not sure. 

Thanks deankdx.Now would that ignition switch issue show up when my mate puts in his scan tool? Is gotta be something I can't see or know about or something you would'nt even dream about.But I feel I'm getting closer!

2 hours ago, deankdx said:

i don't think it would need the the air box fitted. 

if it's only firing up then stalling, try holding the key on crank a bit longer to see if it runs with the key on cranking.. (might be ignition switch issue even?)

this might have something to do with the fuel pump relay even? not sure. 

Ok Mate,if its a ignition switch issue How do  I fix that ,Get a new barrel?, Spray some electrical contact fluid into the key hole/. Also because this ute came from a cattle station up north its full of that fine red bulldust.Most of it is out and gone but with me going under the dash its still pretty thick insome places anyway the Joy I'll have when I get her going & rolling again reminds me to never Give Up!

3 hours ago, Searley said:

Ok Mate,if its a ignition switch issue How do  I fix that ,Get a new barrel?, Spray some electrical contact fluid into the key hole/. Also because this ute came from a cattle station up north its full of that fine red bulldust.Most of it is out and gone but with me going under the dash its still pretty thick insome places anyway the Joy I'll have when I get her going & rolling again reminds me to never Give Up!

sorry for slow reply, i had to go out.. now it's about bedtime.

no, you cant' spray anything in the lock, that's just the key hole.. nothing electrical happens there. same for changing the barrel, not related electrically.

as for showing up on a scan tool? no idea .. when i had My XG that was cutting out etc i had that on a scan tool and it tested fine.. 

i found out it was the ignition switch once when i had the lights on, and the car was running(somehow) then stopped and the "LIGHTS ON" warning light was on the dash, with the key on IGN(run part) where it should only come on when you turn the car off..

it's the electrical part of the lock assy. 

it's "pinned" on later E series etc.. (on XF it's got 2 grub screws)

they can come off, even though they are pinned, i did it by chiseling the switch off a Low KM EF at the wreckers.. before trying it on mine, and it came off fine. there's a fragile thing thats part of the smart lock to be careful with.. and used multi grips to push the pins back in on My XG.. problem solved. 

SO.. if you've read all that.. 
try turning the lights on.... with car OFF, and turn ign on, see if the lights on warning goes out? and same if you start the car.. it might be "THE TEST" we haven't thought of?

Hey Mate don't worry about a slow reply! Barristers and Solicitore  still charge Top $Money for slow replies! Talk about being a Ford Forensic Scientist!See How I go ,It used to start and run beautiful and some unknown gremlin has crept in and created a missinglink.When I get this machine going I'm going to make Problem Proof Everybody have a Great Day Its a Blue Sky S.A. Day And Remember There's No Limit To How Much Fun You Can Have!

1 minute ago, Searley said:

Ok Guys All Good Fun & Larfs, I had a chat with my mechanic mate today and tomorrow I have a Full Day so I'll let you know what happenned

look forward to hearing the simple fix.. 

Hey Searley,

If you had that problem with the interior light switch, did you fix it?

The interior light is part of the circuit of the smartlock system.

Globe has to be in and working properly.

Its a 10w globe from memory.

EDIT: The interior light FUSE must be working, 10A.

Referred to as Courtesy lamp.

Hope you have some luck with her.

Interested to see what's wrong.

Just seems strange you didn't have a problem with her until the interior light problem.

Jack.

Sent from my S21 using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Outback Jack said:

Hey Searley,
If you had that problem with the interior light switch, did you fix it?
The interior light is part of the circuit of the smartlock system.
Globe has to be in and working properly.
Its a 10w globe from memory.

Hope you have some luck with her.
Interested to see what's wrong.
Just seems strange you didn't have a problem with her until the interior light problem.

Jack.

Hey Jack, if you can confirm something for Me(i don't own an E series equiv) My mate says only the interior light fuse needs to be in and working as he has his whole head liner out including the globe on the interior light and his EL is fine without the globe. it's obviously a good confirmation of the fuse though if the globe works. 

i just had a feeling of WTF if the globe blew in bumfuck nowhere.. is that going to stop the car, he said that the globe itself doesn't need to be in there.. but the fuse needs to be good. 

don't mean question you again, but i've only recently been told this after referring searly's fault to him

Hey Jack, if you can confirm something for Me(i don't own an E series equiv) My mate says only the interior light fuse needs to be in and working as he has his whole head liner out including the globe on the interior light and his EL is fine without the globe. it's obviously a good confirmation of the fuse though if the globe works. 
 i just had a feeling of WTF if the globe blew in bumfuck nowhere.. is that going to stop the car, he said that the globe itself doesn't need to be in there.. but the fuse needs to be good. 

don't mean question you again, but i've only recently been told this after referring searly's fault to him
Yeah your right dean, the interior light fuse needs to be there. Globe maybe not if your mates operates without it. 10A fuse.

Also check the wiper fuse. This is also on the wiring for smartlock. 15A fuse.

I have a workshop manual with fault finding for smartlock, its XG but should be the same for XH.

Try this first after checking those fuses.

6b8388e12bee24c520389c7658f338f7.jpg
7f52d425807313ae4bac809ae638ee82.jpg

If that doesn't work I have some more stuff on the smartlock to help fault find it, just bear with me my camera on this phone sucks.

Jack.

Good Afternoon Ford Fanatics,Like that German Army Captain in Hogans Heroes Colonel Shulzts or Klink said "Velly Interesting!" I put in a interior lite globe and it came on and even with the door shut it Stayed On.The RHS door button  had gone inside the body due to  the rubber being perished.But it was like that before thats why I took the interior Globe out.Years ago the central locking started playing up with one door locking and the other unlocking so I took out the solenoids and locked it manually,It worked easily and Hassle Free.I too have the XG Manual which has guided me fine  But I'll read that section about the Smartlock that Jack was extra kind to send cos there's a Hint there somewhere in there that might be a Clue! Now I could'nt work on the car today as I'm lookin after my Dear Old Mum who has Special needs but Tomorrow.Now I had a Brain Flashback about the XH when I started  it and had it going the last time.I had started it about 4 times once weekly easily.This time it started and I let it run a bit longer and after a 10 minutes it started blowing out thick steamy type bluey white smoke.I let it run a bit longer and turned it off Now over a week passed and then it would'nt start.I had the Head crack & psi tested @ Lonsdale Engine Recoers-All Ok. If its blowing smoke that might mean that oil and or coolant is getting in the cylinders.I wonder if I cracked a cylinder wall or two when it overheated.My mechanic mate said Take Out the Spark plugs and crank it and see if water drops are being pushed out.Anyway I'll do that then clean the plugs and put some petrol in the holes.I'll study that Smartlok stuff as well.Coz It Used To Go good.I feel like doing a rendition of that old Rolling Stones Song "Because I Used To Love Her But Its All Over Now!"Thanks a real lot for your Help Guys Hope I'm not becomeing Oz Falcons Most Unwanted Village Idiot,Best Reards Searley

Ok today I pulled out the plugs they were a bit black & oily cleaned and filed them put petrol in the cylinders and screwd back in pugs and it fired and wanted to run.But did not do any more than that.Checked the fuses all good but now the wipers are stuck up 1/2 way and won't work at all so there's a mystery there.Goanna make a Noid Light tomorrow.From what I've read the BCM or BEM is Good coz the starter cranks it over good.The injector system works from the ECU.I've seen an advert about bypassing the ECU Smartlok by installing a Stage 1 J3 Chip into the ECU which is suppossed to Fix this problem for about $130.00 Does anybody have any knowledge/experience on these? One step forward 2 steps sideways 3 steps backwards!

if it fires with fuel in the cyls, it would run on LPG.. if it doesn't run on LPG, could be one of the 2 relays near the brake booster(green one fuel pump relay? other injector relay? they sometimes tapped into these for the safety cut of the LPG in an accident.) 
just another thing to consider?