Server maintenance Read more... ×

Hi all. Have owned my 84 xe s pack for six months now and has ran like a clock ever since I’ve owned it,( 3.3 crossflow four speed single rail). She’s done 500,000 ks and still going strong..... until the other day when I drove it into my garage, put it on jack stands and commenced my power steering conversion. After getting it all together I go to start the car and it continuously cranks but will not fire up.

ive changed the dizzy and the coil for a known working one and still no luck. I’m getting fuel down the carb and spark at the plugs. I’ve even got a new module for the dizzy that’s helped give it a Stronger spark but still not helping it go. 

I’ve checked to see if the motor is at TDC and it is. No signs that it’s skipped a tooth on the timing chain either.

ive ran a positive straight to the coil to rule out voltage drop issues however it has not helped the situation. Even tried another key barrel to rule out the contacts being bad.

ive got the car to run for a total of 30 seconds however it dies slowly, and while running’s it ran as it normally would no signs of issues.

And since then no more luck.

at this stage when I swing the dizzy left and right it almost wants to go however it will not. I’ve thrown almost half a can of start your barstard down the carb to make sure fuel isn’t an issue. However no luck. It’s got everything it needs to go however it won’t. 

the motor ran fine with no signs of issues before I decided to put power steering on it. Does not make any sense why it dosent want to go it has everything it needs for it to go.

anyone able to help me out thanks.

take a photo (get the tapatalk app and upload with the phone if possible, or read My  signature for how to upload with imgur.com , you can only upload small files on this site) of the wires and hoses on the carby, there's a fuel cut solenoid that you might have upset ?

sure it's not flooded? 

check the contact inside the dizzy cap that runs on the rotor button, i've had them stick inward and blew my muffler up on 2 different cars back in the day. 

doesn't make any sense.. if it's got spark, it should only need spark at the right time, and fuel. 

if you bought some pulleys recently, you bought them from Me.. Welcome to the site

Yes buddy it’s me who bought the pullys off you. Nothing wrong with the rotor cap I’ve checked that. I’ve put directrix grease under the module as well.

ive pulled the plugs out and they seem dry for the amount of fuel they should be getting.

I've had issues with coils in the past, where the coil lead will fire a plug in open air no worries but has big trouble actually firing mixture in the cylinder. This was shown with hard starting, especially when cold. It really had me scratching my head, and as a last resort I just shoved a new coil on and vroom.... Fired up instantly. A healthy coil should make a nice blue spark at least 1/2 an inch long to earth.

Maybe give that a go. When you can't pinpoint where a problem is originating from, you have no choice but to parts grenade it until it's eliminated.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

I’ve tried a known working coil but still no good. I’ll try a new one and give that ago. The spark off the coil currently on there looked good. Even spark at the plug looked strong. 

2 minutes ago, S-Pac Jake said:

I’ve tried a known working coil but still no good. I’ll try a new one and give that ago. The spark off the coil currently on there looked good. Even spark at the plug looked strong. 

i still think you should check the carby again for the fuel cut solenoid. i'm fairly sure it can run above idle but they dont idle if the fuel cut solenoid wire is off(and may not start without throttle open)

fuel cut solenoid in this pic with the red wire on it(higher red wire, lower one won't be on XE carby)

just make sure it's connected, they rarely fail.

could check the carby is squirting fuel, might have broken off a crusty 30yr old fuel hose near the power steering hose and it's sucking air instead of fuel also

0326e70cd2a2131f762ad33961288257.jpg

I’ve got plenty of fuel Down the carbie. Even thrown heaps of start ya barastard down the carbie as the cars cranking. The solenoid does sound like it’s working as I take that wire on and off. 

also no fuel leaks I’ve checked for that to 😂

Have you tried yelling at it?
 Gozer the Gozerian... good evening. As a duly designated representative of the City, County and State of New York, I order you to cease any and all supernatural activity and return forthwith to your place of origin or to the nearest convenient parallel dimension.06bbeab32d207095aac0be3b5f62c1ef.jpg

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

Nah fuel filter is brand new. Checked tdc by taking number one spark plug out and putting a screw driver down it. Tdc matched what the screw driver was doing. The motor ran fine and didn’t carry on when I did get it going for the minute it did run. 

however. 

after a bit of kicking around a mechanic friend of mine got the car going. He pulled apart the dizzy and gave it a once over. The cars done 500+ thousand ks so it looked fairly ugly in there. The cars running however the dizzy is temperamental and will run normal then run terrible, as the car ran and drove fine then out of no where just starts to break up like it’s running out of spark. I’m getting my hands on another distributor soon and will see if that improves my situation. 

Maybe try changing the capacitor/condensor (next to the coil) have read similar symptoms before & think that it was capacitor,

Bros XB ute had a similar issue ran great cold but randomly when warm would just die sometimes after 5 minutes sometimes made it 20-35 minutes, never found the problem.

then later read of someone with same type issue & I think they found it was the capacitor. >>>From memory.

Thanks buddy. I’m gona change the dizzy as I believe I’ve narrowed down the Problem to that. Will keep everyone updated to what’s happening with this issue. As I know i found next to nothing regarding this problem. 

Latest update on this issue in my xe.

put a dizzy which had Minimal play into today. Car runs 100% better and like a clock again. Comparing This dizzy to the one that was in it worlds of difference. Original dizzy had a lot of play in it which was probably majority of my problem. 

thanks for everyone’s help. Hope this helps anyone in the future.