Server maintenance Read more... ×

Hi guys I have an 83 xe sedan with a 250 xflow and 5 speed manual. I wanna put an lsd in and change the ratios because 5th gear is hardly used and I would like a faster takeoff. What diff should I use?

Any leaf-sprung Falcon up to ED will bolt in, but you will need a metric brake line adaptor and correct disc handbrake cable for a sedan. Utes and wagons are longer so will have different ones.

Post-ED diffs still can be used if you either swap tailshafts or change the input yoke, but I'm unsure about brake compatibility with axle flanges with the earlier brakes that you will need to use.

Sedans generally are geared taller than utes and wagons. XG utes were 3.27, wagons were 3.23. XR6 utes and wagons were shorter as well, not sure on exact ratios. XHs could be an issue due to them using a lot of EF-EL parts and thus the above-mentioned handbrake cable issues.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Callum said:

83 xe sedan

as gerg said above except for the leaf spring part. 

best bolt in for a different ratio is a 3.23 or 3.27 from an EA to ED  SEDAN (simpler brake conversion) if you get an EB series 2 diff, you'll need to fit wider lower control arm bushes on the diff side(might be able to use some steel plate as spacers as the bushes got wider in EB 2 onwards)
hand brake cable from EA to ED sedan, 
brake line adapter as gerg mentioned
tailshaft for an EA is same as XE XF etc.. EB got the later yoke, so best to either get the tailshaft also or you can change the diff yoke to the crap XE type if needed.

if you ask Me and @Panko if you have a standard cam, or close to standard.. the 2.92 diff it's probably got in it is BEST SUITED, want it to take off better, it's probably got a worn timing chain and needs dissy advancing more .. same for using 5th,  only used on the highway anyway. you'll not use it at 60 unless you go with with a diff that makes first not required (ask @CHESTNUTXE about 3.45 ratio on an engine that has heaps of low end power.. not ideal either)

26 minutes ago, gerg said:

Any leaf-sprung Falcon up to ED

COIL SPRING on sedan XE 

Hi mate ,

what 5 speed box is it? 
T5 or single rail 5 speed? (T5 has reverse right and down, single rail is left and up next to 1st) 

Is it a factory manual car? 

Is the engine stock? 

Ive been through all this with my (now) manual XF Ghia wagon. 

I converted it to T5 5 speed, using an early T5, and left the the auto 2.77 diff for years. still had plenty of torque to get it moving, and was amazing on the open highway in 5th. I am now running a 2.92 (factory manual ratio) and it perfect. 

There are different T5 ratio sets. If you have an early T5, then you best run a lower ratio diff like a 2.92 or 3.23. if you run a 3.45 with an early T5, 1st will be nearly useless, and it will rev harder at 100km/h in 5th.

Vice versa with a late T5 and low diff. 

If the engine is stock, id suggest getting that going a bit better first, and retain a 2.92 diff. Fit some extractors, upgrade the carby, just get it breathing better, and you will find (some) of the extra torque you're looking for down low 

Yes it's a T5. The car was originally an auto (on the tree). I think I'll just leave the ratios for now as it goes fairly good. One thing I would like to do though is put an lsd in (one wheel peel👎) How would i go about doing that? 

5 minutes ago, Callum said:

Yes it's a T5. The car was originally an auto (on the tree). I think I'll just leave the ratios for now as it goes fairly good. One thing I would like to do though is put an lsd in (one wheel peel👎) How would i go about doing that? 

find a diff from a factory manual XE or XF. Preferably an S pack or Ghia to get the LSD centre. done. you will get the 2.92. 

if it drives ok with the auto diff, 2.77 ratio, it means the T5 must be an early one. if it were a late one would be bad i think. 

So yeah, find a manual XE or XF S pack or Ghia to get LSD 

23 minutes ago, Callum said:

as panko above said,  the later and early T5s have different ratios, in My experience if the motor is strong, they don't make much difference 

check the diff ratio of what's in it now, assuming it's a drum brake diff, rare to find in LSD, will be either 2.92 or 2.77, pretty much only available in ghia, fairlane and LTD for XE XF(ZK, ZL, and FE FE LTD)

so you'd need to change hand brake cables for disc conversion anyway. this will need to be from an XE or XF SEDAN with discs 

the issue is.. finding them.. 
but that said, the EA to EL diffs in LSD are pretty rare also. 

depends what you are doing with the car, back 10yrs ago, an XE was something you could still get away with hooning about like it has no value.. these days, one in good nick you'd probably want to be driving it more respectfully. . if you are planning to modify it, it will get expensive and then you need to ask yourself what mods you are going to do.. and try not to swap and change the plan too much. 

eg, if you are planning on fitting a V8 with decent power and revs, you may want a 3.45 LSD. then you should start looking for one early (XR6 diff from EB ED ideally, but EF EL can fit)

i'd keep the stock diff in it until that's decided.. (DON'T do one wheel burnouts, it will blow up.. due to heat on the spider gears/pin) 

Any diff oil rated for limited slip usage is fine. Used to be 85w140 when mineral was it, but now synthetics can be made thinner with the same protection. I'm sure there are LS rated gear oils at 80w90 nowadays. Thinner is better when roller bearings are involved. Better flow and cooling.

From memory, BW diffs take 1.8 litres.

Sent from my CPH1920 using Tapatalk

I have an Auto 4.1 Carb XE sedan. It currently has the standard drum brake 2.77 single but I have 3.23 gears and LSD centre out of an EL XR8. Will this be a straight fit?