Server maintenance Read more... ×
hendrixhc

Coil Spring Diff to Leaf Spring Conversion BW

Has anybody ever converted a BW coil spring diff over to leaf spring?

I have 3 LSD diffs sitting in the shed ( all coil) and want to change put the 2.77 form the XC to the 3.45 LSD out of an Eseries XR6/8.

The process seems pretty straight forward, cut off all the shit I dont need and wend the spring hangers i bought on.

Obviously observing pinion angle and getting the bastard centered correctly. I was wondering are the dimension of the diffs are the same? I havent measured yet.

Yes i realise brake fittings are different as well, just mainly concerned about diff width etc.

Track is wider on the EA-EL units, not by much (maybe 10-15mm?).

AUs are 70mm wider.

Will certainly help fill out the guards on an early girl

The 2.77 will be 75 series, 3.45 will be 78 series. Putting the 2.77 into the later housing won't go, as although you can make the pinion work by shimming it deeper towards the carrier, you need a 75 series carrier when using 75 gears, due to the ring gear having to sit further out from the pinion centreline.

The only way you can use 2.77s is to use your old open carrier, which defeats the purpose of going with the later LSD diff assembly in the first place. Unless you can somehow track down a 75 series 4-pin LSD carrier and use the newer guts out of the later ones you have. Otherwise, you could source 2.92 gears from a 78 series and they should fit.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

there was a photo going around that someone had welded a plate on the bottom of the lower control arm mounts as it's spaced the same as a leaf spring.. looks less professional

there's another i have of photo of Clints XF ute with built in lowering into his spring perch that was made by his brother i think.. 

with this, someone mentioned using the top arm mount to make a traction bar like the XB GT etc had

8ucKGYA.jpg

Yeah i dont think i would do it that way.

I have some spring perches already. im just concerned the diff width will be to wide for the XC.

I guess the best way to find out is to remove th current diff and do some measuring.

I dont want to cut the coil mounts of until i am sure cause ill use it in the XE if it wont suit the XC.

35 minutes ago, hendrixhc said:

im just concerned the diff width will be to wide for the XC.

if it's pre AU i think the width will be negligable difference

That pic isn't terrible exactly, just really unattractive. Lose the top brackets and I'd maybe close in the bottom one to almost be a solid box so it looks like a block. Paint it all black and it would disappear pretty much. But if you've got the perches I'd go with those too.