Server maintenance Read more... ×
motoSycho

New Motor for Rods Mad Maxy Ute

The tuning kit is worth about a third of that (if the price is anything like the very similar Demon one I got)

Any pointers you might need with tuning, give me a hoy. I've messed with mine way too much to not know much about them.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, motoSycho said:

I imagine I'll have to make a bracket for the accelerator cable to link up to the new carby.

Is it an XE V8 accelerator cable I need for the extra length?

try the current one first possibly

XE V8 depending on what year your XF is(can't remember yours off the top of My head) is long as it loops around the front of the carby on the V8

they changed i think around 1988? to E series* EB? ED ? (which would be plenty long for EB as the throttle is near the left headlight area)

BUT ... a lot of people use the 6cyl cable on V8s with a rear pull mechanism.. BUT yet another thing is how you mount the carby(sideways for eg) 
@CHESTNUTXE should know what he did with his XF ute and 4 barrel..  

If you mount it east-west with primaries facing outwards, a carby 6 cyl cable should work, or be made to work.

Yes east west std cable will work north south use xg cable

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Carby arrived today!

Sweeeeeeet!

105916787_10158539722104516_200432165966

104877934_10158539722144516_656865470603

Fits perfectly this way, but I'll need an adapator plate to turn it the 90deg. If I wanted to run it the way it is now, I might need a spacer to move the manifold away from the head a bit for the choke to clear. Easy enough to make the linkages for it to work as per the photo below.

But even easier if it is turned.

104427417_10158539722169516_494102947437

1 hour ago, motoSycho said:

Easy enough to make the linkages for it to work as per the photo below.

But even easier if it is turned.

104427417_10158539722169516_494102947437

the issue with it mounted this way is the primaries don't feed the ports evenly. 

3 hours ago, motoSycho said:

I can't seem to find an adaptor plate to turn it. So I'll make up the pattern and get one cut on Thursday. 

this one is a square bore.. i assume your carby is spread bore(bigger secondaries?)

http://www.kustombitz.com/p/8930524/holley-square-bore-east-west-adaptor-open-plenum-4-barrel---aussiespeed.html

The carby should have square pattern bores and I can see that it has dual bolt pattern to fit a spread or square manifold. However it seems that the manifold bolt holes are not configured to mount the carby east-west.

I'll have more of a look tomorrow when I am awake. Came off nightshift, so as sharp as a bowling ball at the moment.

This is the manifold, sans carb. Carb slips on perfectly as per the original pic, and all the holes line up. But not when I turn it 90deg.

102696540_10158507483534516_474714830671

Yeah going by the shape of the plenum, it's designed to go north-south. Maybe run it as-is with your custom linkage and see if you have any distribution issues. With both primaries and secondaries open, I don't think there will be an issue.

Oh Holy Shit Balls!!!!!

Ummm, so Michelle had a bad idea and we added up all the receipts we could find, and what we could remember I have spent on the ute! There are a crap load of receipts missing as I didn't keep them all at the time.
Oh Crap. It's around $8000!!!!!
This is tools I have bought as well,,,,,,but Jeebus!

3 hours ago, motoSycho said:

so Michelle had a bad idea and we added up all the receipts we could find

it's pretty easy to burn through $4000 on an engine rebuild, especially if doing hoses, belts, oils, fluids etc.. (add heater core and radiator into it .. just keeps going up)

My old Neighbor (old in age, and old as in previous) used to undo the oil pressure switch and pump engine oil in there to prime the oil system on some cars. 

if you left the manifold off and got creative you could use a drill to prime the oil system by either making up a hex drive that fits the drill into where the dizzy goes, (might be able to buy one even?) 

if you left the manifold off and got creative you could use a drill to prime the oil system by either making up a hex drive that fits the drill into where the dizzy goes, (might be able to buy one even?) 

An old dizzy shaft with the gear removed works well