Server maintenance Read more... ×
motoSycho

New Motor for Rods Mad Maxy Ute

Just now, deankdx said:

would that come out with pliers? 
wonder if i'd trust the other bolts 

It's my fault. I have been running on too much work and not enough sleep, 3 hours this morning after nightshift. Just slipped my mind. No excuse really.

I won't be using the others now that I know what I did wrong. I'll have to get back into the bolt shop and get some new ones. What grade would these be?

Just now, Banno said:

Take one of the bolts in they will match up correct bolt. What happen though? Over tension?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a complete brain fart and used the old ones

Wow! I have been guilty of using old ones before in engines for quick turn around and never had a issue. Maybe I been lucky. I always check that the cap is sitting correctly before torque down and tap cap and tap crank back and forth to seat though. As said maybe I am lucky them times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, motoSycho said:

I had a complete brain fart and used the old ones

would have thought all the old bolts would be fine to use again, not torque to yield are they? 

@DeanKDX SLY250 runs a modified XH crank,

for new I'd look up Quickfuel 450 slayer vac sec, similar to holley but has more tuneable features like changeable air bleeds & rear jets, I have a Slayer 600 (VSF) on mine,

250 xflow has air flow requirement of 460ish cfm at 5500rpm,

crank gear at 0° if not dialing in, surprised at the mains bolt breaking,  Engine looks alright, good luck with the build.

2 hours ago, deankdx said:

would have thought all the old bolts would be fine to use again, not torque to yield are they? 

I think they are? I could be wrong

I've got three motors worth of main bolts sitting here.

There shouldn't be anything wrong with using the old bolts. Only angle-torque bolts are single use (ie: E-series head bolts). Might have just had dud or one that had been over-tightened some time in the past

Torque to yield should have a necked-down shank that's designed to stretch a certain amount.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

Bit wary of using the bolts that came with it now. They have probably been used a couple of times.
I can pull the bolts out of one of my spare motors. I know they haven't been pulled apart before.
During my apprenticeship (diesel mechanic), I did 4 months of work experience in a well-known engine reco place. I can tell you now, there wasn't anything that wasn't re-used unless it really needed replacement. Even tappets and rockers were re-ground and slapped back on. I never saw any bolts of any type being replaced with new ones, ever.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, gerg said:

During my apprenticeship (diesel mechanic), I did 4 months of work experience in a well-known engine reco place. I can tell you now, there wasn't anything that wasn't re-used unless it really needed replacement. Even tappets and rockers were re-ground and slapped back on. I never saw any bolts of any type being replaced with new ones, ever.

Yep, nothing wrong with that. The Clevo in my XB has the original Mains, conrods and manifold bolts.  30 years old and been rebuilt 3 times. Only changed the head bolts 'cos they were rusty. 😆

Finally managed to move from the manufacturing line I was on, with the amazingly crappy roster, to another part of the factory with a much better roster. I get 6 days off starting next Saturday, so will wait til then to put the motor back together, and then back into the ute.

Got more parts coming, and stocked up on the oils and fluids I'll need as well.

104457769_10158529983699516_158820274956

Lashed out.

104821584_10158529983784516_184829881878

104462731_10158529983824516_959695675936

This Gilmer setup was cheap, so I grabbed it.

104168751_10158529983749516_667936462309

3 hours ago, motoSycho said:

This Gilmer setup was cheap, so I grabbed it.

104168751_10158529983749516_667936462309

i don't trust these things much, but for a mad max style ute... probably has to be done..  wonder how much space to the radiator there is ?