motoSycho

New Motor for Rods Mad Maxy Ute

It took some cleaning off the sump! Bloody silicon everywhere!

Next question,,,, so many questions 😃 I've got the double row timing gear setup. When I put it back in do I just set it at 0dg TDC? Or is now the time to set it at one of the other settings, retarded or advanced?

102818654_10158494907134516_176178572889

Normally dot-to-dot is the go if not going to the trouble of degreeing it. If there's a particular need to advance or retard the cam then that's when you would do so.

In my case, I shoved mine in 4 degrees advanced and I'm pretty happy with the outcome. The reason why I did that is that clevo cams are designed for 351s, but in a 302 things happen later in the rpm band so to make up for that and bring the torque in earlier, I installed +4.

Yours on the other hand, will have a cam designed for that exact displacement as the advertised rpm range will apply to your engine size, so zero would be ideal.

If for example, you were putting that cam in a 3.3, you may want to go +4 so you don't have to rev it out to hit the power band.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

Ok, so 465 Holleys are expensive, and hard to find second hand! 😛

How about this 470? They even come with vacumn ports these days. That's got to be a handy thing?

https://outlawspeed.com.au/shop/ho0-81571

Spent the day cleaning the motor internals and block today. Gave the bores a hone as well. Everything is now so clean you could eat off it! Rear seal should be here Thursday, so I can start putting it all back together when the arrive.

Also cleaned all the mounting brackets and sump and gave them all a coat of gloss black.

PCV valve popped straight into the rubber grommet on the rear of the alloy cover. Can I just pop a filter breather type thingy onto the hose protrusion just behind the filler cap? Or run a hose from there to a catch can?

102823354_10158497899589516_337453947834

Cool. Looking like I will have to just bite the bullet and buy a new one. Trying to find a 465 in good usuable 2nd hand condition is not happening. Plenty of 650s floating about for some reason.

PCV valve popped straight into the rubber grommet on the rear of the alloy cover. Can I just pop a filter breather type thingy onto the hose protrusion just behind the filler cap? Or run a hose from there to a catch can?

102823354_10158497899589516_3374539478341978685_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=Fo-NpqbzskkAX-zFN6t&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1.xx&oh=809bcc9c401f60d08bb4472bd654adcc&oe=5F03D378

Either or.

I think emissions rules mean it should be recirculated into the engine, but that's only a minor detail.

Wouldn't think you'd need a catch can on a recently built stockish motor

Cool. Looking like I will have to just bite the bullet and buy a new one. Trying to find a 465 in good usuable 2nd hand condition is not happening. Plenty of 650s floating about for some reason.

A 650 or a 600 will work. Vac is better in your case as a 650 mech will likely bog it down below 3000.

A 600 is just like having 2 x 350s on it but with the 2nd one only opening when it needs to.

1 hour ago, gerg said:

A 650 or a 600 will work. Vac is better in your case as a 650 mech will likely bog it down below 3000.

A 600 is just like having 2 x 350s on it but with the 2nd one only opening when it needs to.

Ok. Easier and cheaper to buy a 650 at the moment. What does Spreadbore mean?

And Yay! rear seal turned up, and it fits!

Got the 302W rubber jobbie. Each half has a little tab halfway around the curve. Do you cut this off? Or good to leave in place?

5 minutes ago, bear351c said:

Looking at the base of the carby (or inlet manifold) spreadbore has different sized throttle butterflies. Squarebore are all the same. 

Thanks for that. Now to keep hunting 👍

Ok. Easier and cheaper to buy a 650 at the moment. What does Spreadbore mean?
Normal 600s are "square bore", which is how the classic 4-barrel Holleys were originally. All 4 Of the barrels are roughly the same size and the hole centres make a square shape.

Quadrajets popularised the "Spreadbore" design, with the primaries being much smaller and closer together than the secondaries, resulting in the bore centres having a splayed or "spread" pattern from the primary to the secondary side. Like a trapezium.

The SAE decided to standardise each pattern so the majority of 4 barrel carbies fell into either of these two categories. Spread and squarebore each have slightly different bolt patterns too.

Despite spreadbore being wider in the secondaries, the bolt pattern is actually narrower. Square bores have a square bolt pattern, meaning they can be mounted facing forward, 90 or 180 degrees. Spreadbores, if they are meant to go on a spreadbore manifold, can only go one way.

A dual pattern manifold will have 8 bolt holes, 4 to suit each type.

I wouldn't.......

I have a tendancy to elaborate the truth.  Shiftwork brain and Alcohol don't help.

Generally speaking, the Spreadbore was used on Automatic vehicles, probably 'cos the slushbox didn't move as fast as a stick shift.

I wouldn't.......

I have a tendancy to elaborate the truth.  Shiftwork brain and Alcohol don't help.

Generally speaking, the Spreadbore was used on Automatic vehicles, probably 'cos the slushbox didn't move as fast as a stick shift.
If that's the case Bear, I would theorise that with a spreadbore, the secondaries opening on an auto would give less of a hesitiation compared to a manual, particularly if it's a double pumper.

If you mean that auto 4 barrel XBGTs got a spreadbore, well that would be a different kettle of fish again. I personally don't know the intricacies of which model got what, but the Autolite (later Motorcraft) 4350 spreadbore carby had its own pattern that wasn't compatible with any other manifold/carby combination.

I would love to have a play with a Holley spreadbore pumper and sort it. People rubbish them but I reckon you could get one really cracking.

I can start to put the motor back together now that the rear seal has arrived.

So, ummm, this tab on each seal. Does it face towards the front of the motor or the rear when installed?

102279647_10158503038449516_488906904239

If I could find one I would. Unfortunately new is just way out of the budget.

Found a good rebuilt 600 or a newish 570 Street Avenger that are both in the budget. So thinking about one or the other at the moment.

Manifold arrived today as well. Can I drill a hole into the side of the plenum and screw or weld in a bung to attach the PCV hose to? It has the threaded bungs on top, but I'll be wanting those to put the OEM vacuum trees into.

Planning to start putting the motor back together tomorrow afternoon. Bloody nightshift has slowed me right down!

Tab faces to back of motor/ towards gearbox.
When you put it have one end sticking up out of block 1/4 of inch and the other side sticking 1/4 in the main cap. Hope makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

37 minutes ago, Banno said:

Tab faces to back of motor/ towards gearbox.
When you put it have one end sticking up out of block 1/4 of inch and the other side sticking 1/4 in the main cap. Hope makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Certainly does Thanks Banno