Server maintenance Read more... ×
Panko

Valve spring tool

Hi guys, 

a bit of setback in my crossflow engine build, I will need to replace the retainers and locks. 

What is the best valve spring tool, so that can do the job with the head still on the engine? 

TIA

Panko 

I copied what I saw on Ford Forums, made a valve spring compressor from a old standard rocker,

cut out the contact center where is pushes the valve down, & bent out the sides a bit. then welded a pipe to the side of it

could always weld the pipe on so it goes vertically for if in car, which I might end up doing to the other end of the pipe on mine.

OR weld a old socket to it & use a breaker bar.

Also made a air fitting from a old spark plug, to hook up to the air compressor to pressurize the chamber & keep the valves closed.

sqxuZI8.jpg

Sr72mpz.jpg

this is what i cam up with...

very basic, but i believe it will work. 

the only thing i still need to do is cut the top side open more so i can actually stick a magnet or screw driver down there to get the locks out, otherwise it seems to work ok. 

3HblclW.jpg

FXFQMhq.jpg

Yeah i had a look at them Bear. I dont mind them. 

I found a video of guy in the US using this kit below, on an old i6 US Ford Fairmont. Blew me away. No idea how it works, but pretty bit of kit. 
So if i cant get my thing to work, ill look at buying a tool of some sort

https://www.kincrome.com.au/valve-keeper-remover-and-install

I have not used compressed air in years for doing stem seals. Length of thin poly rope fed through the sparkplug hole. Wind it up to tdc and your sorted.
The wind down style clamp above works well but buy a good one as tough springs can open the fingers.

Sent from my SM-J330G using Tapatalk