Server maintenance Read more... ×

Slowly working my way through a number of electrical issues with the XF (among a plethora of other work ons!)

A couple of questions for today...

Washer motor

I've run into a dead end on this. Washer motor works when bridged on the battery. There is power going to the washer motor plug in the engine bay (yellow/violet wire). The brass contacts in the wiper stem are touching when pressed (when I push them together with a voltmeter there is a slight current registering). Wipers themselves work fine and I have traced/ checked all the plug connections. However, when I connect the washer motor and press the button, no life. 

Is there anything I'm missing here? The wiring diagrams turn my eyelids inside out but I have stared at them for ages trying to figure out if there's a fuse/relay I've missed or something else I should be checking...

Rear window demist

I have this relay connected to the rear window demist/ heater. It's buggered. Looking at the wiring diagram it looks like this is an aftermarket addition so hoping I can bin in and reconnect the voilet/ white wire without issue...? You'll see below that I bridged the relay and the heater works sweet as, just don't want to inadvertently cause another issue for myself.

VpU2JJYl.jpg

Edited by waderobertson

is the wiper motor earth screwed down/tight.. this when it has a bad connection = no wipers work..(had this while driving in the rain.. fun..not)

there normally isn't a relay in that demister wiring(not there at least) . there's possibly a relay above the hand brake for it? 
i haven't ever messed with the wiring,  so it would pay to have it confirmed .. but i reckon the switch would be crap, and someone may have added the relay to "help" it

11 minutes ago, waderobertson said:

... and when I originally said 'wiper motor' of course I meant 'washer motor' 🤦‍♂️

cant remember how they are wired. 
but they do fail. 

if you have a test light or multi meter and one side has power and the other has earth.. then it has to be the pump itself.. 

1 hour ago, deankdx said:

cant remember how they are wired. 
but they do fail. 

if you have a test light or multi meter and one side has power and the other has earth.. then it has to be the pump itself.. 

That's what I thought mate, but I have two motors and both work when I run them straight off the battery. I really don't want to have to swap out the wiper stem unless I really have to but if the motors work and there's current and earth (which there is) then I'm thinking it must be the washer button unless I'm missing something between, but the washer wiring doesn't go through a relay according to the wiring diagram 

ah yes.. XF.. yep, that rings a bell..

without spraying yourself in the eye.. see if you can spray some CRC/WD40 etc in the washer button.. (the high beam switch etc and the light switch, and every other switch for that matter has a tendancy to get a grime on it, could be just tarnish.. 

you might be able to just on and off it 100 times or so(this is what i used to do to the switches ) and it might start to work again. 

they have little copper contacts inside with some grease on them. usually just dirty. 

give that a go first.. if it's too annoying, run a push button elsewhere for now